Recording / Watching Tv Programs On A Computer

tommytouch

Does anybody have any info regarding recording TV on to a laptop / notebook computer from a UBC / True box? I have to confess to being pretty useless when it comes to computers (and technology in general) but I'd be grateful if someone can inform me of the basics. I guess what I really need to know is whether it's worth doing at all or would it make more sense just buying a media player / recorder, such as one of these?: http://www.lcdtvthailand.com/webboard/index.php?topic=12802.0

Sorry if I've been a bit vague and thanks for any help.

Considering you have the internet and True seem to have so many repeats on why do you not download the program from the internet? Having downloaded it you can watch it on the computer, on tv via a dvd or even better on tv using a USB memory stick. A dvd player that takes a USB stick can cost as little as 500 Baht.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I've thought about the torrent download thing, and my DVD player has a USB port so it's certainly a viable option.

I'd quite like to get rid of overpriced True Visions altogether but I'm kind of reliant on their live sport broadcasts (which obviously I'd watch live and not record) and a few other regular favourite shows. It'd just be very handy being able to record them then watch later at a time of my choosing, as long as it's pretty straightforward to set up and the quality isn't too bad.

I still like the media player / recorder idea, that way I can record any TV programs from True and also transferring over all my music, downloads etc. Does anybody have any experience, good or bad, with using one of these multi media players / recorders?

If you have Truevisions satellite already, I suggest you get yourself a receiver with recording capabilities.

I use a Dreambox, which not only records any program from the satellite, but also can be accessed from your computer through a web interface. In fact, the Dreambox can be accessed by any computer, laptop, tablet in your LAN. This allows you not only to watch TV on your computer, but also any show you have recorded on the Dreambox. Moreover you can download the recorded show onto your computer and then handle it as a normal video clip.