Non-Immigrant 0 And Marry Extension

I am in the process of applying for a non-immigrant ) multiple entry visa from the Portland Thai Consulate in USA. 2 years ago I received this visa no problem for visiting friends. This Consulate could be considered friendly. However it looks as if Thailand may have tightened this up a bit. So I am looking forward a bit.

If this visa is not given to me I will be applying for tourist visa multiple entry. I plan to marry next year 2012 and if I have this visa I am wondering what the process is to obtain a non-immigrant 0 visa (which I know is necessary to apply for a marriage extension) while in Thailand.

I will meet the 40,000 baht per mont requirement for the marriage extension.

As far as I am aware you can switch/convert to a Non - O at immigration AFTER you are married and can then at the appropriate time extend by 1 yr on the basis of marriage to a Thai when meeting the appropriate financial criteria for that extension.

The "visiting friends" has been withdrawn now based on many reports.

Edited by CharlieH

It is unlikely you will get a non-O based on visiting friends, so suspect you will get a (double entry) tourist visa.

Once you are in Thailand, you can either get a non-O in a neighbouring country or convert in country to a non-O, but for this you will probably need to apply in Bangkok. The non-O visa would require the wedding certificate and a copy of wife's ID-card and household registration.

After marriage you can present proof of marriage/financial paperwork from Embassy to convert your current entry into non immigrant 90 day stay and then extend in normal manner. 2k for conversion and may have to be done in Bangkok and then 1,900 baht for extension. Or you could take marriage proof/copy of id to a Consulate in the area for the visa and enter using that if easier.

Related question.

If i enter single entry non O based on marriage can i apply one year extension of stay immediately upon arrival or do i have to wait three months and only apply once the non O is expiring ?

Reason why i ask is that i work outside and difficult to spend 3 months in one go and then month more while it's processed. I know multiple non O would work but sometimes i do spend over 3 months in one go and it's coming a hassle to get one in the region.

I'd be applying in BKK.

Related question.

If i enter single entry non O based on marriage can i apply one year extension of stay immediately upon arrival or do i have to wait three months and only apply once the non O is expiring ?

Reason why i ask is that i work outside and difficult to spend 3 months in one go and then month more while it's processed. I know multiple non O would work but sometimes i do spend over 3 months in one go and it's coming a hassle to get one in the region.

I'd be applying in BKK.

What financial proof do you intend to use? 400000 baht in a Thai bank or 40000 baht per month income?

If you are using rhe 400000 baht bank deposit, it must be in a Thai bank and seasoned for three months where the average daily balance did not drop below 400000 baht. The account must be in your name only. If the account is already established and is in your name only there should be no problem applying as soon as the money is seasoned.

If you are using the Income Affidavit from your Embassy showing that your monthly income is at least 40000 baht per month, since the money doesn't have to be seasoned, there should be no problem applying as soon as you get the letter from your embassy.

Edited by wayned

The money (400,000) has to be in a Thai bank for a period of 2 months. If using that method.

You can apply during the final 30 days of your permision to stay.

You will get a 30 day under review stamp and will need to return to Immigration 30 days after to get the extension.

Yep, knew about the 400k and 2 months. Must be in last 30 days, so after 2 months from entering with non O.

Might be better to get multiple non O from KL or just keep using 30 day stamps.

If in 30 stamp or 90 day non O entry can i extend for additional 60 days in-country based on family?

Yes the 60 day extension is available but number in a given period might, or might not, be limited by local immigration policy. But it should be obvious in the case of working overseas and do not believe you would have a problem using it.

If you are using rhe 400000 baht bank deposit, it must be in a Thai bank and seasoned for three months where the average daily balance did not drop below 400000 baht. The account must be in your name only. If the account is already established and is in your name only there should be no problem applying as soon as the money is seasoned.

I hate asking dumb questions but... I am in the works this week transferring 400k to the joint bank account I have with my (Thai) wife at Krung bank. Will this be a problem when I apply for my first marriage visa next year?

Currently living in LOS on EDU visa that will expire in Apr-2012. Will get next 90 extension in Jan-2012 and after that I am planning to change over to a marriage visa. Married for over a year, and the wife and I are expecting our first child in Jan-2012.

I also had it in my head I would have to leave LOS and apply for the marriage visa at an outside Thai embassy like Vientiane, which looks like I am wrong. Nice surprise if so.

It appears after some reading that I should just need to go to Laksi (Jaeng Wattana) to apply for my marriage visa, taking with me my proof of adequate fundage, my wife's tabien, her ID card, and I did not know about photos inside and outside of "her" townhouse, but that is no probs got plenty of those, and line up a neighbour as reference to vouch for knowing we live there, again no probs, and opf course our marriage certificate (issued at Thai amphur in Bkk) and the Kor Ror 2 plus a couple of mugshot photos and plenty of photocopies of all I guess. If anyone could confirm this is right, or make some corrections for me, I am notorious for skimming and missing pertinent details, I would appreciate it.

So I really know very little about the marriage visa. For the EDU visa I have to get an extension every 90 days and then also do address reporting every 90 days, but I think the marriage visa is a once a year process is it not. And so I will just have to report every 90 days?

Also I was wondering, does having a child have any direct effect on the marriage visa process. I read something in a post dated 2006, and some scant mention of it in this thread but I could not exactly suss out any details. If anyone can elaborate on potential benefit or not I would appreciate it also.

thanks,

suk

I hate asking dumb questions but... I am in the works this week transferring 400k to the joint bank account I have with my (Thai) wife at Krung bank. Will this be a problem when I apply for my first marriage visa next year?

Currently living in LOS on EDU visa that will expire in Apr-2012. Will get next 90 extension in Jan-2012 and after that I am planning to change over to a marriage visa. Married for over a year, and the wife and I are expecting our first child in Jan-2012.

I also had it in my head I would have to leave LOS and apply for the marriage visa at an outside Thai embassy like Vientiane, which looks like I am wrong. Nice surprise if so.

It appears after some reading that I should just need to go to Laksi (Jaeng Wattana) to apply for my marriage visa, taking with me my proof of adequate fundage, my wife's tabien, her ID card, and I did not know about photos inside and outside of "her" townhouse, but that is no probs got plenty of those, and line up a neighbour as reference to vouch for knowing we live there, again no probs, and opf course our marriage certificate (issued at Thai amphur in Bkk) and the Kor Ror 2 plus a couple of mugshot photos and plenty of photocopies of all I guess. If anyone could confirm this is right, or make some corrections for me, I am notorious for skimming and missing pertinent details, I would appreciate it.

So I really know very little about the marriage visa. For the EDU visa I have to get an extension every 90 days and then also do address reporting every 90 days, but I think the marriage visa is a once a year process is it not. And so I will just have to report every 90 days?

Also I was wondering, does having a child have any direct effect on the marriage visa process. I read something in a post dated 2006, and some scant mention of it in this thread but I could not exactly suss out any details. If anyone can elaborate on potential benefit or not I would appreciate it also.

thanks,

suk

cannot be in a Joint account, your name only

Marriage Requirements

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

Marriage Certificate

Marriage Registry entry.

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

As said the bank account must be in your name only.

Once the money is in your account you can apply to change to non immigrant entry for 2,000 baht in process of one year extension of stay for Thai wife. She will need to go with you and marriage certificate/id card/home register copy and your passport/departure card/form for conversion or issue visa entry and proof of financials (not sure if any residence photos/maps/proof required at this point). Then after money in account 2 months and less than 30 days remaining on that 90 day entry you do the full extension of stay process for 1,900 baht where same and more paperwork may be involved.

Once the money is in your account you can apply to change to non immigrant entry for 2,000 baht in process of one year extension of stay for Thai wife. She will need to go with you and marriage certificate/id card/home register copy and your passport/departure card/form for conversion or issue visa entry and proof of financials (not sure if any residence photos/maps/proof required at this point). Then after money in account 2 months and less than 30 days remaining on that 90 day entry you do the full extension of stay process for 1,900 baht where same and more paperwork may be involved.

Ok, so wife confirmed with immigration today and I will open my very own account tomorrow. The girl the wife talked to also suggested not transferring any money from the joint or another account not solely in my name, end of statement; I think the implication there is take the cash out of any other account and do a cash deposit into the new account, since I do have some funds in the joint account i will be using. The rest, about 250k will be transferred from bank at home.

Also the wife mentioned my current EDU visa and the reply was that normally I would have to leave the country, but the details coming back were scant whether it is expected I apply for the marriage visa outside of Thai (as I originally thought I had to do), or whether I come back on a tourist visa and then apply at Jaeng Wattana. What the girl did say is that every office at the office is different and it may be worthwhile coming down with my EDU visa and applying to see if a compromise can be agreed upon. That sounds a little more than strange. Has anyone had trouble or experience even changing over from an EDU to marriage visa in-country? Or is it as I originally thought, and i have to leave LOS to get this done, currently being on an EDU visa?

Wife was told we had to also supply 4 photos of us without any particular details of the photos. I have read they want to see photos in and around the house, and we can also supply a wedding photo or two (hundred), but they did not say anything about a map. I thought that might be something they want me to sketch out in person to be sure I know where I live :)

thanks for the advice.

suk

They like photo on bad (sitting) and of wardrobe (clothing hung together) to help prove relationship is valid. One should be of both outside door with property/apartment number shown. Wedding is also good. Print out a few and they will select.

They often prefer a sketch type map. But some are happy to get Google so I would print out one and if asked have a pen to draw something.

There is no provision to change entry from ED visa as it is already non-immigrant - but requirement for extension is just listed as non-immigrant so in theory it should be enough. Worth a try but believe track record is not to accept the ED visa as basis for anything but ED extensions.