An Enjoyable Monday

villagefarang

VF, perhaps you can advise me. A couple of weeks ago I rode through Phaya Meng Rai on the 1326 to Ta. I turned left there onto the 1020 and rode north for about 10km. Then I turned right onto the 4018, which is supposedly an approach to Phu Chi Fa.

http://www.donhandley.com/27nov2011/6.jpg

I was on a 125cc Honda, so maybe I was doomed from the start, but I made it as far as the Doi Phaya Phitak Viewpoint and gave up.

My question is, is there an easier approach to Phu Chi Fa, and if so, what is the route?

VF, perhaps you can advise me. A couple of weeks ago I rode through Phaya Meng Rai on the 1326 to Ta. I turned left there onto the 1020 and rode north for about 10km. Then I turned right onto the 4018, which is supposedly an approach to Phu Chi Fa.

http://www.donhandley.com/27nov2011/6.jpg

I was on a 125cc Honda, so maybe I was doomed from the start, but I made it as far as the Doi Phaya Phitak Viewpoint and gave up.

My question is, is there an easier approach to Phu Chi Fa, and if so, what is the route?

If you had gone right on the 1020 to Thoeng and made a left at Thoeng you would have eventually found two routes to Phu Chi Fa. The first and shorter route is the 1155, not too many kilometers from Thoeng. The second longer route 1093 is much closer to Chiang Kham and takes the high road, first passing the beautiful Phu Sang Waterfall.

Both of these roads are much further than the route over what we call locally Doi Yao, which is shown above.

http://www.donhandle...27nov2011/6.jpg

If you had gone right on the 1020 to Thoeng and made a left at Thoeng you would have eventually found two routes to Phu Chi Fa. The first and shorter route is the 1155, not too many kilometers from Thoeng. The second longer route 1093 is much closer to Chiang Kham and takes the high road, first passing the beautiful Phu Sang Waterfall.

Both of these roads are much further than the route over what we call locally Doi Yao, which is shown above.

In terms of the grade, or steepness, are all 3 routes about the same? I am more concerned about the grade than the distance, since my 125cc motorbike is so puny and I am so heavy - the weight to power ratio sucks. The Honda Dream did, however, pull both the wife and I to the to the Phra Boromathat Chedi at the top of Doi Mae Salong this past Sunday.a

http://www.donhandle...27nov2011/6.jpg

In terms of the grade, or steepness, are all 3 routes about the same? I am more concerned about the grade than the distance, since my 125cc motorbike is so puny and I am so heavy - the weight to power ratio sucks. The Honda Dream did, however, pull both the wife and I to the to the Phra Boromathat Chedi at the top of Doi Mae Salong this past Sunday.a

The other side of the road you were on is the steepest but they all have their moments and sometimes with a bad road surface thrown in for good measure.

Personally I would not try it 2up on a 125cc. One road sign yesterday said 16% grade but I’m sure it is more in some places. The road surface is pretty bad in some places too. I haven’t been up Mae Salong recently but seem to remember it being much easier. Then again up to the Chedi is pretty steep.

Of course the locals race around these roads on scooters but they weigh next to nothing. Having seen pictures of you on your blog, I would recommend a bigger bike or a smaller mountain. ;)