Renew 1 Year Retirment Visa

kcore

Greetings all. Only CM immigration info needed. Going for 1st renewal of 1 year retirment visa. Can we use a lettter from Bangkok Bank that proofs monthly deposits in excess of the required amount, instead of the $50.00 US emabassy letter which proofs nothing----Kevin

If going the "income" route, there really is no way around having to fork over $50 at the American Consulate, even if the funds come into your Bankok Bank account every month. You should take that BKK passbook with you to Immigration in case they question the source of your income. There was at least one report of them doing this recently with an American income letter, but it was for a marriage extension.

The bank letter (cheap) method works only for those having 800,000 baht in a Thai bank 90 days before their visa extension (60 days for the first extension of an "O" visa).

Bangkok bank according to the lady I talked to will not write you a letter stating the monthly deposits . Atleast mine would not . Only a letter stating the amount I had in the bank . If you are using monthly income as much as its dreaded pay the $50.00 . You will need more than the letter. They asked for and I was lucky I had a letter from my pension office stating the amount i recieved monthly . First time the ever asked for it . The will no longer except just the embassy letter as of just last month when I went . Last year they did . Good luck , they were very nice about everything and i was in and out in no time .

Just today I got the O visa for retirement with the bank letter and page copies of bank passbook showing the 800,000 baht, on deposit last week.

They said that 10 months from now, I should visit CM Immigration office and apply for renewal.

They also told me I should have on deposit a balance of 800,000 baht minimum sitting in bank for 30 days prior to the date I request 'proof' letter from bank for the 800,000 made out just before date of re-application. This I assume is an answer to your specific question.

This should work for me in my situation.

Your experience may vary.

At the same time, next year I will be able to provide a declaration of pension for approximately 400,000 baht, so I will assume they will be happy with a lesser amount on deposit for at least 800,000 baht combined.

It needs to be clarified that Immigration is looking for a monthly income from pension, interest, or dividends from investments or any combination. I don't think even rental income is acceptable but not sure. Making a monthly deposit in a Thai bank does not prove it came from income. If you had a $1 million USD (or equivalent foreign currency) under your mattress, depositing $2300/month (65k) until your money runs out wouldn't satisfy the current retirement extension requirement.

It needs to be clarified that Immigration is looking for a monthly income from pension, interest, or dividends from investments or any combination. I don't think even rental income is acceptable but not sure. Making a monthly deposit in a Thai bank does not prove it came from income. If you had a $1 million USD (or equivalent foreign currency) under your mattress, depositing $2300/month (65k) until your money runs out wouldn't satisfy the current retirement extension requirement.

Quite correct they are not interested in what you did yesterday just in are you going to be able to do it all year.

Yes, this is understood, as the jest of my questions was really wheather one could by pass the embassy letter, saving 50us bucks, and using the bank letter with ALL the needed documentaion that CM immigration would require to show pension amounts deposited via foreigh transfer. NancyL is spot on with here responce. Thanks again

Quite correct they are not interested in what you did yesterday just in are you going to be able to do it all year.

Thanks BB, I have been hearing something to this effect as well. It is getting a little dodgy as to what the difference is between income and pension with a aussie friend having a letter that stated "income" instead of "pension" being questions at CM immigration. They actually told him to bring a letter that says pension ...NOT" income" when he comes for his next appointment.

Bangkok bank according to the lady I talked to will not write you a letter stating the monthly deposits . Atleast mine would not . Only a letter stating the amount I had in the bank . If you are using monthly income as much as its dreaded pay the $50.00 . You will need more than the letter. They asked for and I was lucky I had a letter from my pension office stating the amount i recieved monthly . First time the ever asked for it . The will no longer except just the embassy letter as of just last month when I went . Last year they did . Good luck , they were very nice about everything and i was in and out in no time .

BB1955 - please tell more. Was this at CM Immigration? A marriage or retirement extension? What did you produce as "proof" of income to satisfy the Immigration officials?

(This is why we Americans get heartburn over this issue -- we'd like "exact guidelines" -- preferrably in writing -- about what Immigration considers as proof of income when they question a consulate income letter, but of course we'll never get that in Thailand, where they say they're just using "common sense")

I am printing a few 2010 IRS 1099's.I am hope Immigration will accept them, if they ask for additional income proof.

They won't even know what they are, they have been studying support documents by country in alphabetical order and have not yet finished the As.