Crime In Phuket

intrigueme

This is my first post so take it easy on me :o

I'm looking for some feedback on crime in Phuket - have travelled extensively through Thailand but never to Phuket and am considering a move with my family in the near future. Have always felt very safe travelling through Thailand but I'd like to get some feedback from residents living in Phuket. Not really one to worry about crime but just want to get an overall sense of what's happening out there.

Are there any particular areas that seem to be worse overall? We're considering the beach areas of Kamala and all things north of there - any comments on those areas would be appreciated. We're more quiet folks I'd say, not really into the Patong scene and have three small children - thanks in advance for your answers.

The crimes not too bad here, break-ins etc... dont tend to be the planned "steal your TV and stereo" type affairs they are in teh UK. Rather a hmmm... theres a door open there, wonder if theyve left any money/gold/jewelry lying about.

I was burgled by a couple of ladyboys last year and caught them in the act of stealing all of my girlfriends shoes???? chased them out the door (one ran clean through the glass) but they still got away with our digital camera.

Anywhere with a large community of foreign residents has attracted more home break-ins usually during economic downturns- such as this past few months when the long term after-effects of tsunami were really kicking in. I heard that Kamala, Chalong and Nai Harn were areas hit by theft.

i've been living in Phuket for 18 months and have had no personal experience of any crime here. however, u do hear of the occasional break in.

this may or may not apply to you but becareful when riding round at night on a motorbike. there are guys on motorbikes who knock ppl off their bikes to mug them, or snatch purses etc.

this has happened to 2 (thai) ppl i know here in Phuket, and i've heard of other incidents. Mostly in and around Phuket Town, but there's no reason it can't happen in other areas.

all in all, i'd say its about as safe as the next place in Thailand. The only criminals u have to worry about are the ones driving taxis.

I was burgled by a couple of ladyboys last year and caught them in the act of stealing all of my girlfriends shoes????  chased them out the door (one ran clean through the glass) but they still got away with our digital camera.

This sounds like quite an amusing story, apart from getting your camera stolen of course.

Does your girlfriend have a large shoe size?

Poor ladyboys must have a hard time finding large sized heels. :o

I was burgled by a couple of ladyboys last year and caught them in the act of stealing all of my girlfriends shoes????  chased them out the door (one ran clean through the glass) but they still got away with our digital camera.

This sounds like quite an amusing story, apart from getting your camera stolen of course.

Does your girlfriend have a large shoe size?

Poor ladyboys must have a hard time finding large sized heels. :D

I was going to make a similiar comment about the shoes. :o

I think Phuket is pretty good regarding crime. I have never been broken into myself in the years Ive lived here, but a few mates in Rawai have.

All in all, a pretty good place to live and I wish you good luck with your move.

Thanks very much for the quick feedback - much appreciated.  Glad to hear mainly petty theft and stuff like that - am I correct to assume then that any violent crimes are few and far between?

As some others have already said, yes, there is violent crime here but you have to be involved in some pretty shady stuff. "Live by the sword" kind of thing.

I've been living in Thailand for almost 15 years, about 1/2 that in Phuket. Again, as others here have said, after the Tsunami and the inevitable economic downturn, crime took an upturn.

I have two friends who live in the Chalong area. One has had his house burgled FOUR times in the last year. The other friend, twice in the last 5 months!! And on another occasion, someone stole his pure bred bulldog that was tied up outside a restaurant he was in - same area. A third friend with a house close to Phuket Town has been hit within the last 2 months.

My impression (anecdotal as it is and I could be way wrong) is that the Chalong area with it's high concentration of farang, is ripe for house breaking (although, certainly, break-ins are occuring in other areas).

By the way, the friend who was broken into the last time - bastards stole his 50 kg safe. He found it in a field near his house the next day. It had been opened with an acetylene torch!!

On the upside (meagre as it is), they will not take credit cards, only stuff that is immediately "saleable" - the obvious stuff; computers, cameras, cash, rings, AND REALLY BIG SHOES!.

If you do move here, renting or otherwise, GET HOUSE CONTENTS INSURANCE. It's extremely cheap.

Don't mean to scare you. All in all, it's an OK place to live and, by and large, you should have a pretty sabai sabai time. I know I have!

All the best,

Dude