Former Illinois Gov. Blagojevich sentenced to 14 years for corruption

News_Editor

Former Illinois Gov. Blagojevich sentenced to 14 years for corruption

2011-12-08 21:09:08 GMT+7 (ICT)

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS (BNO NEWS) -- Former Illinois Governor Rod R. Blagojevich was sentenced to 14 years in federal prison on Wednesday after being convicted of numerous counts of corruption, prosecutors said.

Blagojevich, who is to turn 55 on Saturday, was convicted on 18 felony counts of corruption during his tenure as governor, including his effort in 2008 to illegally trade the appointment of a United States Senator in exchange for $1.5 million in campaign contributions or other personal benefits.

Blagojevich, a lawyer and former state prosecutor, state legislator, and U.S. Representative, was arrested on December 9, 2008, while serving as the governor of Illinois. A two-term Democrat, he was removed from office in January 2009.

The governor was accused of using his office in numerous matters involving state appointments, business, legislation and pension fund investments to seek or obtain financial benefits as money, campaign contributions, and employment for himself and others, in exchange for official actions, including trying to leverage his authority to appoint a United States Senator to replace then President-Elect Barack Obama.

In the summer of 2010, Blagojevich went to trial and was convicted of lying to FBI agents when he falsely told them in an interview on March 16, 2005, that he did not track, or want to know, who contributed to him or how much money they contributed to him, but the jury was deadlocked on all remaining counts.

During trial, prosecutors relied heavily on wiretap tapes in which Blagojevich spew profanity and speculated about getting a Cabinet job in exchange for the Senate seat. His attorneys, however, said he was a big talker but never actually engaged in corruption.

Earlier this year, Blagojevich was convicted on 17 additional counts, including 10 counts of wire fraud, two counts of attempted extortion, two counts of conspiracy to commit extortion, one count of soliciting bribes, and two counts of conspiracy to solicit and accept bribes.

Blagojevich was sentenced for shaking down the chief executive of a children's hospital for $25,000 in campaign contributions in exchange for implementing an increase to pediatric reimbursement rates. In addition, he was sentenced for holding up the signing of a bill to benefit the Illinois horse racing industry in an attempt to illegally obtain $100,000 in campaign contributions and lying to the FBI in 2005.

After a two-day hearing, U.S. District Judge James Zagel imposed the 14-year sentence, stating that "the harm here is not measured in the value of money or property... the harm is the erosion of public trust in government."

Blagojevich was ordered to surrender to the U.S. Bureau of Prisons on February 16, 2012, to begin serving his sentence. The prison term is the longest-ever imposed on a former governor in the Northern District of Illinois.

The judge also imposed a fine of $20,000 and two years of supervised release after completing his prison term. Blagojevich also must pay a special assessment of $1,800, or $100 on each count of conviction.

"Blagojevich betrayed the trust and faith that Illinois voters placed in him, feeding great public frustration, cynicism and disengagement among citizens," said Patrick J. Fitzgerald, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois. "People have the right to expect that their elected leaders will honor the oath they swear to, and this sentence shows that the justice system will stand up to protect their expectations."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-12-08

He is clearly guilty but I see such a long sentence as overkill. He is totally ruined anyway, and if the potential of conviction really does deter other corrupt politicians, I don't believe any of them would be thinking, I can risk 5 years but not 14. I think there are too many people in US prisons anyway and long terms should be for violent criminals who have the potential to hurt people. Blago like I said is already ruined, he won't ever have power again, and probably not even a job.

He is only the fourth Illinois Governor that has served time in the past few years. Dirty politicians seem to be the norm there.

Where did Obama learn his trade again???

Kenya? :rolleyes:

So who else was from Illinois?

post-37101-0-86386500-1323361057_thumb.j

Hmmm ...

Edited by Jingthing

He is clearly guilty but I see such a long sentence as overkill. He is totally ruined anyway, and if the potential of conviction really does deter other corrupt politicians, I don't believe any of them would be thinking, I can risk 5 years but not 14. I think there are too many people in US prisons anyway and long terms should be for violent criminals who have the potential to hurt people. Blago like I said is already ruined, he won't ever have power again, and probably not even a job.

Ruined, are you kidding? Just like the child killer, Casey Anthony, who is angling for a million $ + book deal? And Eliot Spitzer, who became a news commentator on CNN after his escapade with a prostitute while NY Attorney General. When he gets out, he'll get a book deal, and a "reality" TV show, and he'll make millions. For some bizarre reason, American's love these sleeze ball freaks -- Lindsay Lohan (at least she is really hot!) and the Kardashians, go figure! He hasn't "hurt people"????? He has done more harm than the guy that walks into the bank and puts a gun in the teller's face -- Blago has robbed people using a position of trust and abusing his authority, and in the process has destroyed what little confidence is left in government. Give him 14 years (actually, he deserves much more) and put him in a cell with Barney Frank -- they deserve each other.

I love Eliot Spitzer. He would have been a great president. He embodies the Occupy Wallstreet movement. I don't care about his issues with sex workers. To equate the corruption crimes of Blago with Spitzer's sex scandal is totally wrong. Spitzer did get ruined. He had a good chance of being president. Now he will never hold an office again. His loss and America's loss.

Edited by Jingthing

He is only the fourth Illinois Governor that has served time in the past few years. Dirty politicians seem to be the norm there.

Kenya? :rolleyes:

So who else was from Illinois?

post-37101-0-86386500-1323361057_thumb.j

Hmmm ...

Yeah, he was from Illinois. He was also a Republican. B)

Which reminds me..

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2011/12/judge-sentences-ousted-obama-pal-illinois-governor-rod-blagojevich-to-14-years-20000-fine.html

Blagojevich's sentence is one of the stiffest penalties for corruption in a state with a history of crooked politics. Obama personally asked a union leader to approach then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich about appointing confidant Valerie Jarrett to his Illinois Senate seat – testimony Republicans say clearly contradicts the Obama team’s version of events.

If he was alive today, he wouldn't be! He wouldn't even recognize today's crypto-fascist republican party of hate.

Can you explain how you can be so anti-Republican and pro-Obama - yet such a supporter of Israel? Obama is anti-Israel/pro-Palstinian and the Republicans are staunch defenders of Israel.

He is clearly guilty but I see such a long sentence as overkill.

I agree. Like you said, 5 years would be plenty.

Blago tried to implicate Obama in this mess. Obviously Obama didn't like that very much and being a Chicago politician himself, probably pushed for a longer sentence to send a message. At least he didn't have Blago killed.

If he was alive today, he wouldn't be! He wouldn't even recognize today's crypto-fascist republican party of hate.

Can you explain how you can be so anti-Republican and pro-Obama - yet such a supporter of Israel? Obama is anti-Israel/pro-Palstinian and the Republicans are staunch defenders of Israel.

I'd like to but WAY too off topic. Cheers.

I'd like to but WAY too off topic. Cheers.

Nice deflect, using TV's rules to your definite advantage. Challenge you to start a new thread to answer the legitimate question. whistling.gif

Blago tried to implicate Obama in this mess. Obviously Obama didn't like that very much and being a Chicago politician himself, probably pushed for a longer sentence to send a message. At least he didn't have Blago killed.

They couldn't find a hitman who could hit him in the forehead as it's only a half inch high.....

Edited by cheeryble

I didn't think anyone would come here and defend this creep and then, as a sad surprised, I see that Jingthing cannot keep off the political bias even in this case. Imagine if this was a republican...there would be 40+ posts talking about how bad he is and how he should get more, should get a higher monetary penalty due to future and past income from this illegal activity etc.

Politicians should do more jail time than 'ordinary citizens' for their crimes because they are in a position of trust and power.

Thankfully the sentencing guidelines Judges follow do indicate that is what is supposed to happen.....as a norm.

Politicians should do more jail time than 'ordinary citizens' for their crimes because they are in a position of trust and power.

It doesn't happen often since it is the politicians who write the laws in the first place.

Perhaps if stronger sentences had been handed down on former Illinois government employees convicted of felonies, it might have served as a deterrent to this one.

Then again, with the current atmosphere in Illinois, it would have likely made little difference to the sewer rats there.

Seriously?

Totally seriously. Not defending Blago. I just think he got too much time.

I was referring to your imagination when it comes to creating labels for political party in your failed attempt to start a new meme here.