O Negative Blood Needed Urgently URGENT

I'm going tomorrow to give blood, can't today as i've got lots of alcohol in my system... unsure.gif

On another note, this is making me think we should organise a blood donating service, one where we make in convenient for people to give so that more do... Or is there one already that I don't know about? As I used to give blood regularly in the UK but I'm ashamed to say it hasn't even crossed my mind in the 2 years I've been here.

This is definitely a good idea. The hospitals got together a while back when someone needed huge amounts of blood (O- again).

There is a database somewhere (as someone has posted) and I have been called up in emergencies (eg when the Bandit Airways plane crashed), but maybe this has fallen down a crack as it is the government hospital that needs the blood, not the private ones. Also, after my trip there today - they do have a problem with English. Maybe they do have the 'donation' database CD, but no one can read it?

Apparently the Thai Red Cross do blood drives, but I do not know how to contact them. (They were in Tesco earlier this month collecting blood). Again, English is a problem there.

There is a database compiled by the Rotary Club of Koh Samui, TE, I have the database and I emailed a copy to Nathon Hospital lunchtime Friday. They received it and acknowledged receipt back to me via email.

There are 16 O negative potential donors on it living on Samui together with their full contact details and one I think on Phangan.

If the lady has indeed now been transferred to BSH, they also have the database, indeed the original list was compiled with their help during a blood group testing around three years or so ago now by their transfusion department.

A second session was held at Thai Inter around 18 months ago and the database updated.

The list was circulated to all five hospitals on the island.

Edited by yorkie100

Thank you to Rotary ( Yorkie 100 ) for their contribution & help. Perhaps when things settle down we can have more people on the register.

Meanwhile donations are still required, if anyone wishing to donate, it is now at Bangkok Hospital.

Thank you.

Rooo.

I am O negative and live in Chiang Mai.

For those of you who may not know, the O negative blood group is quite rare throughout Asia.

Asians are predominantly B group. I remember my doctor telling me this information.

He advised me to go and donate at Chiang Mai Ram Hospital and ask them to keep it there in case I had an accident.

He also told me that there were very few people in Chiang Mai (who they knew of) who had O negative.

However, in the USA, Europe, Australia (western countries) the O negative blood type accounts for around 7% to 11% of the population.

All hospitals (regardless of country) desire to have this blood type in stock for several reasons.

The first is that O negative blood can be used as a a universal donor. Yes, that means it can be used and received by anyone - regardless of their blood type.

That is why it desired, because it can be given straight away in an emergency when they do not know someone's blood type - and they do not have time to test.

Secondly, - if someone is O negative, - there is o other blood type that they can receive. Only O negative.

My Doctor told me that Asians only have between 1 to 2% of the population with O negative.

So, there is definitely a problem. It is not just on Koh Samui.

I called the first number that appeared on the first page yesterday and offered to go to Ram hospital here in Chaing Mai to donate and then maybe they could send blood by air. The woman said that she did not know and then I lost her on the phone. I tried again, but no answer.

I am sure that Bankok Airways would agree to fly in blood from other areas in Thailand if it was co-ordinated.

I for one would certainly donate, - and I am sure that there art others in Bangkok or Chaing Mai (and other cities) that would.

If anyone out there can suggest which Thai authority can and would co-ordinate this. I am sure it may help this lady.

I will go to Ram Hospital in Chiang Mai today and try and get the ball rolling in this city.

Also, to all those who do not know your blood type, - I suggest that you get it checked. It could save your life.

Thank you Preman. I will advise the contact I have of your offer. As the young lady is now in the care of Bangkok International, I am sure they can organise something with Bangkok Air .

Thank you again Preman, I moved your post to Chiang Mai topic related to this subject.

It has all been organised to ship the blood down from Ram hospital.Now Government Hospital.

Thank you again.

I am O negative but out of the country, wish I could have been home to help.

i am wiating for my mum to wake up in england to let me know what type of bloood i have.

i was clinically born dead

bit random thing for me to say but it is true.

there u go a useless fact about bigc

my blood is clean though. i have just recently had a baby so they checked my blood when my misses was pregnant.

my misses is o negative but she is too thin to give blood.

i hope i get my result back soon if so i shall rush down the hospital

If you want to donate blood, go do it. It takes any hospital less than 5 minutes to type and screen blood. Most hospitals are always happy to take blood from anyone willing to give it. Rare types in particular, or O Neg because you will be the most in need when the time comes. O Neg is the universal donor, anyone can receive O Neg blood, but the flipside of that coin is O Neg can ONLY receive O Neg blood. It is not a terribly rare type, but when you need it, it is the only cork that will fit.

I sent my wife who is type 0- and another who is O but not surer which type

and the hospital refused her this morning, because it was 'a holiday'.

No meds taken, none of the contraindications against giving blood,

but they turned her away anyway.

We had her listed as 0- at the hospital across from Chaweng Tesco

a year or so back the last time this request when out.

They had her contact info the phone # isn't changed.

Please go on MONDAY morning.

They were under staffed at the hospital and couldn't take the blood...

The lady is in a coma at Bankok Hospital but they don't take blood there.

There will be staff at to do this Monday at Thai Government Hospital Nathon.

Edited by animatic

Please can you clarify all the above statements, as much of it is not making sense to me.

Also when I read this post ten minutes ago your information suggested something tragic had occurred?

Edited by yorkie100

Please can you clarify all the above statements, much of it is not making sense to me.

Also when I read this post five minutes ago you said she had died?

Yes ok.

I have been visa-run driving for 2.5 days, and was a bit tired and rushed.

I called Vivian when I first saw this

because my wife had tried to give blood but was turned away.

and she had told me that the lady died. (not true, a mistake of communications)

She had been given horribly incorrect info.

She was in tears when I talked with her the 1st time.

Vivian called me back to tell me the lady is STILL alive'

and I edited it quickly while talking to her.

I think that this was a Thai / English language screw up.

I suspect that after she was 'transfered to the other hospital',

some one came to ask for her and was told " She is gone." meaning transfered.

But for native english ears 'she is gone' can mean 'passed away'.

So they passed on the misheard info. to poor Vivian who was distraught.

Just supposition on my part,

but this explanation makes sense after several years here.

They lady is presently alive, in a deep coma and still needs the blood badly.

The only hospital taking blood donations is Thai Gov. Hospital in Nathon.

There will be adequate staff at the blood department this Monday morning

at Thai Government Hospital in Nathon to take blood donations for the poor lady.

I will be bringing my wife and daughter there to donate then.

You are not suposed to drink alcohol or take medications 24 hours or more prior to giving blood. So the Mrs. is turning down anything questionable tonight and tomorrow.

Edited by animatic

I hope this person gets the required help from donors.

( Off topic, but I am O Neg and live in Singapore. I offered to give blood here but because I was resident in the UK in the late 80's and early 90's I was refused. This is down to the fact that I have been exsposed to mad cow disease ( fact )).

I just wanted to report back to this posting after finding out a lot today.

I am in Chiang Mai. I am O Negative and wanted to try and help.

Firstly, I went to Ram Hospital here, - and they told me that they could not accept me for donating blood as they do not have a blood bank.

They re-directed me to the Chiang Mai Government Hospital a few blocks away.

I went there only to be told the same thing. They re-directed me to another address (which I show below) - the "Blood Bank Of Chiang Mai".

Success! I managed to donate my blood. They were very nice and helpful people and the facility is A+++ standard.

The whole process took no more than 30 minutes from registration to walking out f the door.

I requested that my blood be allocated to the name of the woman who needs it in Koh Samui.

The woman's name was provided to me by Julie (via Roos) from this site.

The people in Koh Samui coordintaed with the Chiang Mai blood bank and I was told that they were sending 2 units (one more than mine) to the woman in Koh Samui. So, that outcome made me very happy.

I am writing this also to advise that the blood bank in Chiang Mai only had eight units, - including the one that I donated today.

So, there is a very real shortage of O Negative blood generally throughout Thailand.

I am happy that I am in a position to actually help someone today, - but it also brought home the fact, - that if I was in a bad accident and needed blood, - or if any of you other O negative people out there are in that position, - it is good for you to know now, - that it is in your best interests to donate blood for others and to also create your own blood bank (which you can do upon request).

All of you O Negative people who live in Chaing Mai, - please go and donate blood. Here is the details below:

Blood Bank # 10 Chiang Mai

196 Rachapakinai Road

T. Sriphoom, Chaing Mai

Phone: 053 418389 or 053 418390 Extensions 11 or 12 or 21

I just wanted to report back to this posting after finding out a lot today.

I am in Chiang Mai. I am O Negative and wanted to try and help.

Firstly, I went to Ram Hospital here, - and they told me that they could not accept me for donating blood as they do not have a blood bank.

They re-directed me to the Chiang Mai Government Hospital a few blocks away.

I went there only to be told the same thing. They re-directed me to another address (which I show below) - the "Blood Bank Of Chiang Mai".

Success! I managed to donate my blood. They were very nice and helpful people and the facility is A+++ standard.

The whole process took no more than 30 minutes from registration to walking out f the door.

I requested that my blood be allocated to the name of the woman who needs it in Koh Samui.

The woman's name was provided to me by Julie (via Roos) from this site.

The people in Koh Samui coordintaed with the Chiang Mai blood bank and I was told that they were sending 2 units (one more than mine) to the woman in Koh Samui. So, that outcome made me very happy.

I am writing this also to advise that the blood bank in Chiang Mai only had eight units, - including the one that I donated today.

So, there is a very real shortage of O Negative blood generally throughout Thailand.

I am happy that I am in a position to actually help someone today, - but it also brought home the fact, - that if I was in a bad accident and needed blood, - or if any of you other O negative people out there are in that position, - it is good for you to know now, - that it is in your best interests to donate blood for others and to also create your own blood bank (which you can do upon request).

All of you O Negative people who live in Chaing Mai, - please go and donate blood. Here is the details below:

Blood Bank # 10 Chiang Mai

196 Rachapakinai Road

T. Sriphoom, Chaing Mai

Phone: 053 418389 or 053 418390 Extensions 11 or 12 or 21

Thank you very much Preman. I have also copied & pasted this in the corresponding topic in the Chiang Mai forum.

Actually, CMSALLY's post that it is the Red Cross - is quite correct.

I am sorry for not writing that on the address I gave. However, it is not printed on the card they gave me.

They market themselves these days as simply - "Blood Bank of Chaing Mai".

I just confirmed that it is indeed the Red Cross with my Thai wife. So, everyone is right.

The main thing is that we all know that we can donate blood for others (and ourselves).

The address is the same. However, as there are other offices in Chiang Mai, - it is better to just use that particular Blood Bank Unit.

They call it Number 10 - at the above posted address. It is better, because they are now totally familiar with the situation and the woman in Koh Samui who needs the blood.

Also, I want to put forward a simple idea for getting the word out about blood.

I live in a large Condo block and I plan today to post a notice in the lobby to inform O Negative people that there is a chronic shortage of their blood type here in Thailand, - and also about where to go to donate. (Not everyone - knows about or visits Thai Visa .com).

So, if any of you want to do a similar sign poster in the lobby of your apartments - regardless of the city you may live in, - I am sure that it would help raise awareness and probably get some O Negatives donating blood at their local blood bank.

Thank You.

Preman

I believe donated blood can only be stored for a maximum of 42 days before it becomes unusable.

Platelets can only be stored for 5 days.

Frozen plasma can be frozen and suitable for use for up to one year.

I think that is why it is important, especially in Thailand, to have donors available immediately following an emergency as there may well be no stored blood available, particularly of the rarer groups.

I am O-. Currently living near Pattaya waiting for the flood to recede in my house in Pathumthani. I normally donate at the Red Cross in Bangkok. I received an SMS on my phone last month saying it was time to donate again. I posted asking if anyone knew of a Red Cross center in Pattaya where I could donate several weeks back, but received no responses.

Does Pattaya have a blood bank where I could donate?

I am very aware of the shortage of O- blood. It represents almost 6% of the population in Caucasians, but well under 1% in Asians. In fact, any type of Rhesus negative blood is almost non existent in Asian populations. It is not unusual to have these kinds of crisis in Thailand, which is why I try to do my best to give on schedule. Everyone who is O- and living in Thailand should be doing this regularly and keeping the stocks high. One day, those of us who are O- will likely have a need for it. The life you save by giving blood may eventually turn out to be your own.

Thank you to everyone for helping. the young Lady sadly passed away. May she rest in peace.

Very sad indeed, specially considering the (perhaps avoidable) circumstances.

My heart goes out to her husband and new baby, and all other family and friends she has left behind.

RIP.

Edited by Jose

Thank you to everyone for helping. the young Lady sadly passed away. May she rest in peace.

Very sad indeed, specially considering the (perhaps avoidable) circumstances.

My heart goes out to her husband and new baby, and all other family and friends she has left behind.

RIP.

Yes, sad indeed.

This time it is not a miss communication.

RIP P Au.

We may still go to give blood in the morning anyway.

I believe donated blood can only be stored for a maximum of 42 days before it becomes unusable.

Platelets can only be stored for 5 days.

Frozen plasma can be frozen and suitable for use for up to one year.

I think that is why it is important, especially in Thailand, to have donors available immediately following an emergency as there may well be no stored blood available, particularly of the rarer groups.

I think one question is;

Can Nathon Gov. Hospital convert to O neg plasma?

Or is any donation expiring in 42 days?