PM Yingluck Pledges Hands-Off On Military Affairs

webfact

PM pledges hands-off on military affairs

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Friday vowed the government would not meddle in military affairs but work with the top brass to ensure security, reconciliation and peace.

"The government and armed forces share the same aspirations, including the heeding of the royal advice to address the plight of the people," she said following her introductory visit to the Defence Ministry..

Yingluck said civilian and military leaders would work in concerted efforts to safeguard the sovereignty and the monarchy.

In the immediate priority, the government and the military would focus on post-flooding reconstruction, she said, adding the future cooperation would see the involvement of the military in the infrastructure development.

Commenting on a thorny issue of amending the Defence Ministry Administration Act to curb the military power on job assignments, she said the issue has not come up at this juncture.

She said her government and the military would strive to prevent abuses being heaped on the monarchy, pledging to bring about a better understanding in the face of royal insult.

"I don't want fault any group since I believe in the loyalty of everyone and their good intentions to advance forward the country," she said.

Led by Defence Ministry Yuthasak Sasiprapha, the top brass organised a fanfare welcoming ceremony for the first female prime minister.

At the start of her visit, PM Yingluck paid respect to the picture of King Chulalongkorn, founder of the modern armed forces, before inspecting the Guard of Honour.

Yuthasak gave a briefing on his ministerial work before hosting a lunchoen.

In a gesture of strengthening government-military ties, the prime minister has planned to visit the Army, Navy and Air Force in due course.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-09

PM Visits Defense Ministry

The prime minister visited the Defense Ministry and delivered a policy statement to high-ranking military officers there.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra traveled to the Defense Ministry for the first time after taking office.

She was welcomed by Defense Minister General Yutthasak Sasiprapa, Defense Ministry Permanent Secretary General Satien Permthongin, the armed forces commanders and high-ranking military officers.

The prime minister inspected a guard of honor before paying respect to the statue of King Rama V.

Yingluck was later briefed on the ministry's work as well as security policies.

She then delivered a policy statement to the ministry's high-raking officers and had lunch with them before returning to Government House.

However, it is noticeable that the premier did not pay homage to the Chao Pho Ho Klong Shrine, or the shrine of the drumtower spirit, as traditionally done by previous prime ministers who visit the ministry.

The shrine is highly respected by the Royal Thai Army, especially for various defense ministers, who usually pay respect to the shrine after taking up their posts.

The prime minister affirmed that the Pheu Thai-led government will not intervene in military affairs as the Army has the duty to follow the government's policies.

The PM insisted that both the army and the government must respect one another so cooperation between the two organizations can be carried out efficiently.

Yingluck went on to say that her visit to the Defense Ministry today aims to look into the details of cooperation between the army and the government on national security affairs and measures to protect the country's sovereignty and the Monarchy.

The premier also pointed out that the amendment to the Defense Ministry Act had not been discussed.

It is widely speculated that the Pheu Thai Party wants the act amended so the prime minister has power to intervene in the promotion of military officers.

She vowed to provide justice to all parties involved in last year's crackdown on red-shirt protesters by adhering to the rule of law.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-09

footer_n.gif

How the <deleted> does the head of the (more-or-less) democratically-elected government not get to tell the army what to do?

Never mind... I know... TIT.

My feeling exactly !

It should be The army leaders vowed the army would not meddle in the government affairs but works with the government to ensure security, reconciliation and peace.

But, as you said, TIT ....

How the <deleted> does the head of the (more-or-less) democratically-elected government not get to tell the army what to do?

My feeling exactly !

It should be The army leaders vowed the army would not meddle in the government affairs but works with the government to ensure security, reconciliation and peace.

It will be interesting to see how she handles the first real demands from the budget for military equipment. It seems like the submarine idea has been dismissed (good on her). Will she roll over like Abhisit (who really needed their backing) or not. I think that will be a true test as to the way this government will go - as well as the possibility of Army Officers being held to account for the events of last year of course. We shall see.

ing a crimanal a

My feeling exactly !

It will be interesting to see how she handles the first real demands from the budget for military equipment. It seems like the submarine idea has been dismissed (good on her). Will she roll over like Abhisit (who really needed their backing) or not. I think that will be a true test as to the way this government will go - as well as the possibility of Army Officers being held to account for the events of last year of course. We shall see.

I fail to see where the Dem's needed the army's backing.

The army was just carried out their duties. Didn't matter to them who was in power.

I have heard it quite often that the Dem's were backed by the army.

How was that. The army was not the ones who voted them into office.

The part I liked was

""The government and armed forces share the same aspirations, including the heeding of the royal advice to address the plight of the people," she said following her introductory visit to the Defence Ministry.."

My question is if they share the same interest why was her government not helping out the people affected by the floods.

It would seem that they were spending their time trying to get a pardon for a criminal backing out of their election promises and stock piling goods in Dong Won.

The army was out there waist deep in water. And they were not carrying signs curtsey of so and so they were just doing the job.:jap:

Premier vows close links with military

The Nation

30171622-01_big.jpg

Yingluck visits Defence Ministry, promises lunch meetings with Armed Forces every 2 months

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday vowed that her government would not meddle in military affairs but would work closely with the top brass to protect the monarchy as well as ensure security, reconciliation and peace.

"The government and Armed Forces share the same aspirations, including the heeding of the royal advice to address the plight of the people," she said after her introductory visit to the Defence Ministry.

Yingluck said civilian and military leaders would work in concerted effort to safeguard the sovereignty of the country and the monarchy.

As an immediate priority, the government and the military would focus on post-flood reconstruction, she said, adding that future cooperation would see the involvement of the military in infrastructure development.

Commenting on the thorny issue of amending the Defence Ministry Administration Act to curb the military's powers on job assignments, she said the issue had not come up at this juncture.

She said her government and the military would strive to prevent abuses being heaped on the monarchy, vowing to bring about a better understanding in the face of royal insults.

"I don't want to fault any group, since I believe in the loyalty of everyone and their good intentions to advance the country," she said.

Led by Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha, the top brass organised a fanfare welcoming ceremony for the country's first female prime minister.

At the start of her visit, Yingluck paid her respects before a picture of King Chulalongkorn, founder of the modern Armed Forces, before inspecting the Guard of Honour.

Yuthasak gave a briefing on his ministerial work as well as the military line of command before hosting a luncheon for the prime minister.

In a gesture of strengthening government-military ties, Yingluck is planning to visit the Army, Navy and Air Force in due course.

Yuthasak told reporters later that the prime minister did not make any comment on any specific military affairs but asked how the military could repair damage caused by the major floods.

The Armed Forces have proposed a budget for their rehabilitation and recovery plan of the units affected by the flood. The prime minister had no problem with the budget request but just questioned why the Air Force had proposed a bigger budget than the others. She recommended adjustment of the budget and setting priorities for spending, Yuthasak said.

The top brass explained to Yingluck their budget plan and expenses, which were trimmed down, he said.

"We told the prime minister that if the government would be able to allocate some Bt1 billion more, it would allow the Armed Forces to fulfil their strategic plan," Yuthasak said, and noted that Yingluck would consider the needs of the military.

Yingluck told the commanders that she would regularly visit and have lunch with the Armed Forces every two months to get familiar with them, according to Yuthasak.

Asked whether the planned regular visits showed her mistrust of the Armed Forces, Yuthasak said the government trusted the military but the regular meetings would open more chances for two-way communication.

"The prime minister has been satisfied with the military over the past three months in office," he said, "notably the military role in helping the government fight the flood disaster."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-10

I agree that the submarines are unwanted/unneeded, but if former-PM Abhisit was wont to roll over as you suggest, the order would surely have been placed pre-election, with hefty cancellation-penalties attached ?

It therefore seems more-likely that he too resisted the proposal, he should get credit for doing what he could manage, in the right direction, while leading a weak-coalition under-attack on-the-streets. PM-Yingluck is in a slightly-stronger position, with 265 seats, isn't she ? B)

My feeling exactly !

But the government wants the opposite...bring back the big leader, and punish the opposition.

It will be interesting to see how she handles the first real demands from the budget for military equipment. It seems like the submarine idea has been dismissed (good on her).

Despite the initial gaff in her announcement, has there been a recent change from the approval by Yingluck in September?

The Nation

September 30, 2011

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra made a blunder a few days ago when she told reporters that the Cabinet had approved the Navy's plan to buy six secondhand German submarines worth Bt6.9 billion, though in fact the proposal was not part of the agenda at the Cabinet meeting.

She told reporters that the submarine purchase had been approved, but more discussion is needed for new helicopters wanted by the Army.

It is funny that she says this. She has no choice in thematter anyways

Exactly.

An immature individual who betrays ones intentions, when stymied...('Oh, you know, I would never do such a terrible or underhanded thing as that!').....or like the 5 year old that can't have a toy or other object ('oh, I did not want it anyway')......???

Phaethon: "Next Year's Headline: Thai Submarine Crashes in Burmese Jungle." I read a lot more than I post (shame on me - I know) however, I could NOT stop myself chuckling at the "headline" and just had to acknowledge such. Brilliant!

Edited by Scout666

I fail to see where the Dem's needed the army's backing.

The army was just carried out their duties. Didn't matter to them who was in power.

I have heard it quite often that the Dem's were backed by the army.

How was that. The army was not the ones who voted them into office.

There is of course a school of thought which holds that no one voted the dems into office, rather that they were placed in office by the army.

Probably all evil red propaganda I know, but it does seem to be believed by rather a lot of people... maybe they are all brainwashed fools.

Edited by JAG

It will be interesting to see how she handles the first real demands from the budget for military equipment. It seems like the submarine idea has been dismissed (good on her).

Despite the initial gaff in her announcement, has there been a recent change from the approval by Yingluck in September?

The Nation

September 30, 2011

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra made a blunder a few days ago when she told reporters that the Cabinet had approved the Navy's plan to buy six secondhand German submarines worth Bt6.9 billion, though in fact the proposal was not part of the agenda at the Cabinet meeting.

She told reporters that the submarine purchase had been approved, but more discussion is needed for new helicopters wanted by the Army.

Today's update:

yinglucknavy.jpg

PM Receptive to Submarine Procurement

UPDATE : 15 December 2011

The prime minister continues her visit to the armed forces as today she travels to the navy headquarters and has given the green light for the navy's plan to purchase submarines.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-15

footer_n.gif

The Nation

September 30, 2011

Today's update:

yinglucknavy.jpg

PM Receptive to Submarine Procurement

UPDATE : 15 December 2011

The prime minister continues her visit to the armed forces as today she travels to the navy headquarters and has given the green light for the navy's plan to purchase submarines.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-15

footer_n.gif

But there's a bit more to the article than that isn't there Buchholz?

The prime minister also said that the government is willing to support the navy's submarine procurement as it agrees in principle with the purchase plan. (The Government hasn't even seen the plan yet so how can they agree in principle to it?)

However, further consideration will have to be made concerning procurement details. (See below)

The other paper doesn't quite put it that way - they write that the government said they would have to look at the aquisition plan to decide how important it is and how urgent the need is first. The speccing of the subs would need to be done by the navy and then they had to draw up an aquisition plan. This plan hasn't even be given to the cabinet yet and then the defence council need to look at it. In other words, say soothing things, keep the navy sweet and put it on the back burner.

So it is as far from a done deal as it could possibly get at the moment, hardly a green light to go ahead and buy - but thats TAN for you.

the purchase plan

What's that 500 baht down, the rest over 5 years and the German's will throw in a couple of U-Boat commander's roll-neck sweaters and a 21 inch TV.

Edited by mca