Thais Traveling To Laos

I assume that Thai nationals are issued visas on arrival at all Thai/Laos border crossings, am I right? What do Thai nationals need (besides a valid passport) when crossing over? Have been ringing the Laos Embassy for days but nobody's answering the phone...

We plan on crossing into Laos from Nhong Kai, I've crossed it many times on my European passport, no problems - just don't want to be stuck there with the missus (Thai) on the 30th/31st December, that's all.

Depending on where in Laos you plan on going, and for how long, a passport might not be needed.

Thai's can use their ID card to get a border pass that is good for a couple of days, but limited to how far from the border they can travel.

Depending on where in Laos you plan on going, and for how long, a passport might not be needed.

Thai's can use their ID card to get a border pass that is good for a couple of days, but limited to how far from the border they can travel.

Passport is NOT REQUIRED Thai ID is all that's needed for a border pass into Laos.

(unless things have changed in the last 9 months when we went there last).

Of course you are both correct. Thai nationals do not require a passport to enter Laos, but if they have one - as in this case - they require nothing else.

Apologies for the inference that they require one.

Passport is NOT REQUIRED Thai ID is all that's needed for a border pass into Laos.

(unless things have changed in the last 9 months when we went there last).

Of course you are both correct. Thai nationals do not require a passport to enter Laos, but if they have one - as in this case - they require nothing else.

Apologies for the inference that they require one.

Actually they fill in a form and recieve a visa sticker in their passport which uses a whole page just like the one in mine. THere is no charge however for this

Actually they fill in a form and recieve a visa sticker in their passport which uses a whole page just like the one in mine. THere is no charge however for this

Interesting, because my tgf didn't get this on Tuesday; the only thing she received in her passport, on the Laos side, was the entry stamp.

I, however, not being a Thai national, received the full-page Visa in my passport.

Do Thais who only have an ID card have to make an arrangement beforehand, or can they just show up at the border?

To my knowledge and experience with my Thai wife and daughter we just showed up filled in the forms for them and away we went....simple.

Edited by CharlieH

My comments refered to the Friendsip bridge. AAt that post visas on arival are available. The posts mentioning just a stamp may be at non visa on arival crossings and it would be interesting to know how long.

My comments were also referring to the Friendship Bridge border crossing, which we crossed on Tuesday of this week. 'Visa on Arrival', 'visa-free', or 'visa-exempt' - whatever the official Laotian designation is, she did receive entry on arrival; however, it was not a full page sticker like I received, it was a stamp allowing her 30 days entry to Laos.

I'm not arguing with you, or disputing your point, I'm just stating that it's interesting that your wife received a full-page sticker in her passport, whereas my gf only received a stamp... Granted, it was very busy Tuesday morning (being the day after a public holiday), so perhaps they were just being expeditious...

As one who holds one:

Thai passport is stamped in for 30 days. Fill in the bog standard arrivals form and head to immigration. Works for land and air.

Passportless Thai's can arrange for border passes to be issued for 50 baht, usually at outlets found just before the border. ID card is needed. Laos will stamp you in for 3 days only. Only good for land crossings.

My comments refered to the Friendsip bridge. AAt that post visas on arival are available. The posts mentioning just a stamp may be at non visa on arival crossings and it would be interesting to know how long.

My comments were also referring to the Friendship Bridge border crossing, which we crossed on Tuesday of this week. 'Visa on Arrival', 'visa-free', or 'visa-exempt' - whatever the official Laotian designation is, she did receive entry on arrival; however, it was not a full page sticker like I received, it was a stamp allowing her 30 days entry to Laos.

I'm not arguing with you, or disputing your point, I'm just stating that it's interesting that your wife received a full-page sticker in her passport, whereas my gf only received a stamp... Granted, it was very busy Tuesday morning (being the day after a public holiday), so perhaps they were just being expeditious...

I realize that and I am nt arguing with you either just trying to determine the difference......in our case we were going in for 2 weeks or so was yours just given as a 3 day crossing?

I realize that and I am nt arguing with you either just trying to determine the difference......in our case we were going in for 2 weeks or so was yours just given as a 3 day crossing?

Nope, she was given 30 days... I guess the Laos immigration is much like the Thai one - the final decision on visa application/issue or entry will always be at the discretion of the immigration officer, based on their particular knowledge, training and/or mood on the day in question.

Passportless Thai's can arrange for border passes to be issued for 50 baht, usually at outlets found just before the border. ID card is needed. Laos will stamp you in for 3 days only. Only good for land crossings.

I remember that in the late nineties, the 3 days period could be extended to 14 days quite easily once inside Laos. Does this still apply? And, crossing the Friendship Bridge in Nongkai, would the passportless Thai citizen be restricted to Vientiane + area immediately around it?

And (just in case somebody has recent experience with this) what about a Thai child which is too young to hold an ID card?

Edited by keestha

Do Thais who only have an ID card have to make an arrangement beforehand, or can they just show up at the border?

Unfortunately my experience is not first hand (sorry), but I did read before on TV that the ID card must be issued from one of the provinces that actually boarder the specific crossing, ie, Bangkok ID card wont work. Maybe one of the other posters can verify?

Thailand, Luxembourg and Switzerland (among some other ASEAN countries) do NOT require a visa. Thais enter 30 days, the Luxembourgers and Swiss for 14 days (incl. arrival and departure day). No sticker, not nothing, just a red square rubberstamd in the passport - PROVIDED the passport remains valid for at least six months after intended departure, Nuff said!

Laos is a wonderful country and you will certainly have a great time. My wife and children who hold dual passports entered the Chong Mek border (to Pakse) and they requested 30 days (there is no charge for 15 days) and they were charged 250 baht for 4 passports. We cant figure out how they arrived at this figure. They used their Thai passports.

I was charged $35 USD for 30 days. Everything was very easy and the immigration officials were very nice. In fact, they gave grapes to my kids while we were waiting. The whole thing took less than 15 mintues.

Have a great trip. This information about border crossing took place two weeks ago.

Laos is a wonderful country and you will certainly have a great time. My wife and children who hold dual passports entered the Chong Mek border (to Pakse) and they requested 30 days (there is no charge for 15 days) and they were charged 250 baht for 4 passports. We cant figure out how they arrived at this figure. They used their Thai passports.

I was charged $35 USD for 30 days. Everything was very easy and the immigration officials were very nice. In fact, they gave grapes to my kids while we were waiting. The whole thing took less than 15 mintues.

Have a great trip. This information about border crossing took place two weeks ago.

:o, l never got grapes, only hassle about my non crispy dollars. ;)

ASEAN Framework Agreement on Visa Exemption

Kuala Lumpur, 25 July 2006

Article 1

1. Member Countries, where applicable, shall exempt citizens of any other Member Countries holding valid national passports from visa requirement for a period of stay of up to 14 (fourteen) days from the date of entry, provided that such stay shall not be used for purposes other than visit. Citizens of Member Countries who enter another Member Countries for other purposes or for a stay exceeding the days allowed under the laws and regulations of the host countries are required to apply for appropriate visas or passes.

2. Notwithstanding the above paragraph, Member Countries shall reserve the right to provide visa-free entry for citizens of other Member Countries for temporary visits for a period more than fourteen (14) days in accordance with their respective laws and regulations and/or bilateral protocols/arrangements.

Article 2

The duration of passport validity of citizens of Member Countries shall be at least six (6) months from the date of entry.

---------------------------------

ID cards alone (no passport) may be ok in some countries.

Unfortunately my experience is not first hand (sorry), but I did read before on TV that the ID card must be issued from one of the provinces that actually boarder the specific crossing, ie, Bangkok ID card wont work. Maybe one of the other posters can verify?

For Laos and I believe Malaysian border passes you can come from anywhere in Thailand. My experience for Cambodia was that they'd only issue border passes if you are from a border province.

A group of us went through in April. Missus and her family are from Ban Dung (60 kms from Nong Khai) and speak Laos.

They all have passports, and they got stamps and no fee at all. I got the full page visa and I think it was about 1,200bt. I got the reminder on the way back in though that my visa (Thai) was only valid for 14 days as it was a land crossing.

This past summer we rented a van in Ubon Ratchathani, were my wife is from, for a day trip along the Mekong. We are currently living in the US but have a house there and we back for the summer. The van was full of relatives, old and young, Thai citizens all. As part of the trip we were going to walk over to Laos for fun. We thought we were prepared and had all the photocopies made. We we got to the border they said the it would cost me ~$30 to cross with my US passport. The real problem was the kids. The younger kids did not have ID cards yet and they would not let them cross without a picture ID. Everyone was disappointed but since we had many temples and markets to visit it did not ruin the outing. Be warned that, in our experience, younger children, even traveling with parents are required to have a picture ID (e.g., Thai passport).

This past summer we rented a van in Ubon Ratchathani, were my wife is from, for a day trip along the Mekong. We are currently living in the US but have a house there and we back for the summer. The van was full of relatives, old and young, Thai citizens all. As part of the trip we were going to walk over to Laos for fun. We thought we were prepared and had all the photocopies made. We we got to the border they said the it would cost me ~$30 to cross with my US passport. The real problem was the kids. The younger kids did not have ID cards yet and they would not let them cross without a picture ID. Everyone was disappointed but since we had many temples and markets to visit it did not ruin the outing. Be warned that, in our experience, younger children, even traveling with parents are required to have a picture ID (e.g., Thai passport).

Yep $30 for you but l have been to Lao with kids that never had an ID card and my mrs, not mum, signed paper to vouch for them for a day trip. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update for those who might be interested: Thai nationals staying for 1) less than 3 days and 2) close to the Thai border can enter Laos on their ID card alone and don't need a visa. Thai citizens wanting to travel further into Laos and/or stay more than 3 days need a valid passport and visa on arrival. For Thais, the visa on arrival is free of charge (others have to pay Baht 1,500 or the equivalent in US$).