Moto Fatalities

5pm:

He's speeding down soi 71 and I have little seat room so when he accelerates I have little room to lean forward against the pull and being an old bike the chrome grab bar gives little comfort as I can't get my fingers through it.

As he over-confidently zooms toward a junction I find myself squeezing him with my thighs in the hope he will see it as a signal to slow down, it also reduces my chances of having my patellas shattered when he weaves tightly between the gridlock.

He accellerates again, this time I don't find a grip quick enough and with a sudden heart sinking rush of adrenaline I fall back, the back of my head hits the road with a wet crack and all of a sudden there is nothing.

I don't know how long it's been but I can hear noises.

A Thai man is shouting and all of a sudden I can see myself from above, a crowd of people has gathered and a man chases away a soi dog who is sniffing the beige jelly that sits in the pool of black red blood under my broken skull.

I am eventually taken away, motionless and around the world my friends and family work, sleep, go shopping and have fun.

I have caused a traffic jam and a woman throws a bucket of water on the spot where what was left of my head lay, dispersing the stain on the road.

As he rides over the speed hump approaching my apartment I snap out of my morbid daydream and wonder if it's 20 or 30 baht.

The above is a nightmare daydream I often have with gung ho motos but has a fatal accident witrh a farang passenger ever actually happened?

Edited by The Gentleman Scamp

It must happen especially in Pattay and onthe Islands where farangs hire big bikes they are not skilled, or experienced, enough to handle, but I dont recall reading about it in Bangkok in any of the papers.

This morning I had to do a Visa run. Turned onto Asoke from Phetchaburi at about 5.15am ish. Just at the bottom of the bridge by the Japanes Embassy there had been a motorbike accident. The male rider had shattered the top of his skull open and his head was deformed. I could see brain through the top of his head and some bits of brain on the actual road. There was actually a helmet a few yards up the road.

It was weird. I didnt feel squeamish at the sight of it, but I began wondering if he had anyone at home worrying and waiting for him, and wondering what he was thinking just before the crash. I go most places on the back of a motorbike taxi, majority of the time without a helmet and I have to admit I have become very blase about it. This did make me think though of what can, and does, happen.

End of depressing post :o

Lots of farangs have been killed riding their own bikes and riding pillion here. A famous, or should I say infamous, case occurred in front of the Australian embassy a few years back when an employee got her skirt caught in the chain, was pulled off, and had her head squashed by a bus. I could cite other examples but it is too depressing.

You can get an idea of just how safe a form of travel it is by counting the motorcycle outlines spray painted on the streets. I see new ones every day, and I live on the outskirts of the city. I can think of a dozen people at least that I have known in one way or another who have died in motorbike accidents. I used to ride bikes back home, but now I avoid sitting on one unless it is absolutely necessary. Too many close calls.

If you pay attention when you are in a taxi, bus, or car you will notice that most drivers pay not the slightest attention to bikes. The slightest error on their part or the biker's part and it is all over. It is safety last here, and bikers are at the bottom of the heap as far as protection, or lack thereof.

We dodn't get to hear about many accidents in the Englisg Language papers out here, but if you pick up a copy of any Thai Language newspaper you will graphically see blood and guts spilled out on the road.

I have also noticed more and more spray outlines on the road lately.

Many die so so young, what a waste of life, but the way some of them drive it is not that surprising unfortunatley

It was weird.  I didnt feel squeamish at the sight of it, but I began wondering if he had anyone at home worrying and waiting for him, and wondering what he was thinking just before the crash.  I go most places on the back of a motorbike taxi, majority of the time without a helmet and I have to admit I have become very blase about it.  This did make me think though of what can, and does, happen.

I saw a similar graphic close up of a dead biker, an elderly man and had exactly the same feelings, one of sadness knowing that he had been alive before I had come into the world and he had been alive just minutes earlier when I had been buying water at the 7-Eleven.

I also thought of his oblivious family that were about to have a very bad day.

No one has yet reported stories of an motobike taxi fatalities where the farang passenger has perished, that's the specific subject of this topic.

No one has yet reported stories of an motobike taxi fatalities where the farang passenger has perished, that's the specific subject of this topic.

I've seen lots of Farangs incurring severe 'road-rash' after dumping their rented rice-rockets but never actually witnessed a fatality - thank G_D. :o

I've seen lots of Farangs incurring severe 'road-rash' after dumping their rented rice-rockets but never actually witnessed a fatality - thank G_D. :o

I see lots of farangs who think that just because the locals do it, its not in any way stupid to race around in flip-flops and no helmet. Again, natural selection.

cv

I have had the misfortune to have witnessed two motorbike fatalities in Pattaya where farang died, but in both instances the farang had clearly chosen to play Russian Roulette with their substitute manhoods throbbing between their legs: they both lost rather colourfully. :o

I actually felt more empathy for those they left behind to be honest, not to mention the poor sods who had to clear up the mess as I saw what the idiots were doing prior to spectacularly soiling the road.

However, I cannot recall ever hearing of a farang victim meeting his maker courtesy of a motocy taxi driver, but find it hard to believe there have not been any.

When I occasionally use the services of a ‘rapjang’ (that’s one of my seven Thai words… :D ), I make it very clear from the outset that I do not want them to drive fast. Should the driver ignore my instruction and revert to instinct by speeding away in the manner of a brainless pigeon as he anticipates gaps in the traffic stream that have not yet appeared, I find that a forearm around the driver’s throat tends to solve any language problems.

That said and to be fair, in general I do find the motocy taxi drivers to be semi-sensible as a rule in Pattaya.

Perhaps I have been lucky, although I do tend to avoid the ones with pupils that ‘Marine Boy’ would be envious of or those who cannot stand up unassisted… :D

I believe the Australian Embassy employee I mentioned earlier was on a cycle taxi. So if that is correct, there is one example. Cycle taxis are involved in accidents all the time, it would be remarkable if there were not any farangs to have died on one. Most accidents don't get reported in the papers, even those involving farangs. A few months back I had one of our Soi cycle taxi guys fix a light at my house. A few weeks later he was driving somewhere drunk and hit a telephone pole. Left behind a pregnant girlfriend. Oh, that's another thing. I often see motorcycle taxi drivers popping into Mom and Pop stores for a shot of Lao Kao. Not saying they are bad people, but a goodly portion of them are probably driving under the influence of something.

It must happen especially in Pattay and onthe Islands where farangs hire big bikes they are not skilled, or experienced, enough to handle, but I dont recall reading about it in Bangkok in any of the papers.

This morning I had to do a Visa run.  Turned onto Asoke from Phetchaburi at about 5.15am ish.  Just at the bottom of the bridge by the Japanes Embassy there had been a motorbike accident.  The male rider had shattered the top of his skull open and his head was deformed.  I could see brain through the top of his head and some bits of brain on the actual road.  There was actually a helmet a few yards up the road.

It was weird.  I didnt feel squeamish at the sight of it, but I began wondering if he had anyone at home worrying and waiting for him, and wondering what he was thinking just before the crash.  I go most places on the back of a motorbike taxi, majority of the time without a helmet and I have to admit I have become very blase about it.  This did make me think though of what can, and does, happen.

End of depressing post  :o

I have been knocked off the back of a motorcycle in Thailand before, when a pick up truck collided with the rear end of the vehicle. The pick up truck was decelerating while the bike i was on was attempting to accelerate away and i was able to throw myself off the bike a split second before the collision, somehow emerging with only a few scratches and bruises.

At the time it didn't deter me from riding on motorcycles in Thailand, but having had plenty of time to reflect on this episode and the frightening statistics of road accidents, i have resolved to only travel by motorcycle if there is no alternative or i am on very quiet roads.

I forget where I got the information but I read that the current figure is 38 people killed per day in Thailand on motorcycles. I also read that of the 16,500 traffic fatalities per year about 13,000 are motorcycle accidents. I don't like the odds!

I have used motorcycle taxis many times in my moobaan without wearing a helmet but never on the main road. However I have also had quite a few kamakazi drivers one of who rear ended another motorcycle taxi guy. At least he was only going about 20kph at the time. Having read this post has really opened my eyes; I've always known that riding bikes is A LOT more dangerous here than in many places we come from but just how dangerous is something that I didn't think about too often. Bikes are great on gas and many folks enjoy riding them. There are benefits to having a bike versus a car or truck.

Recently an ex-coworker was in a bike accident (not his first one) where a taxi driver cut him off. He was lucky to get away with only a broken shoulder and clavicle. He seemed to be seriously thinking about giving up riding but now he anticipates his next bike which will have even more power than this one did. Even with the cheaply/lightly built cars like Nissan Envy, there is still a metal body protecting you but on a bike you have nothing. Give me a car any day; the frustrations that come with it are well worth the added safety.

Edited by Thaiboxer

I forget where I got the information but I read that the current figure is 38 people killed per day in Thailand on motorcycles. I also read that of the 16,500 traffic fatalities per year about 13,000 are motorcycle accidents. I don't like the odds!

Sounds about right. I believe 2004 was about 14,000 fatalities and 80% involving motorcycles. Annual injuries... over one million!! In a country with around 60,000, and assuming that all things are equal, that gives you a 1 in 60 chance of getting injured in a traffic accident.

Statistically, Thai roads are the 6th most dangerous in the world. Don't emulate the Thais and you'll improve your chances of staying alive.

To the OP.. don't get on a bike without a helmet! If the driver doesn't have a spare one, take his! Your chances of getting hurt are very high. Think about it.... people play the lottery when the chances are 1 in 4,000,000+. Next time you're on the bike and you go past a not too crowded bus with about 60 people on board... remember that based on the statistics one of those is going to be injured this year! And then think about it further.. they are reasonably safe in a big strong bus, you are hanging off the back of a tiny bike with a risk taker at the controls. I'd say you're odds are worse than the bus passengers. Good luck.

I have used motorcycle taxis many times in my moobaan without wearing a helmet but never on the main road. However I have also had quite a few kamakazi drivers one of who rear ended another motorcycle taxi guy. At least he was only going about 20kph at the time. Having read this post has really opened my eyes; I've always known that riding bikes is A LOT more dangerous here than in many places we come from but just how dangerous is something that I didn't think about too often. Bikes are great on gas and many folks enjoy riding them. There are benefits to having a bike versus a car or truck.

Recently an ex-coworker was in a bike accident (not his first one) where a taxi driver cut him off. He was lucky to get away with only a broken shoulder and clavicle. He seemed to be seriously thinking about giving up riding but now he anticipates his next bike which will have even more power than this one did. Even with the cheaply/lightly built cars like Nissan Envy, there is still a metal body protecting you but on a bike you have nothing. Give me a car any day; the frustrations that come with it are well worth the added safety.

I can't find any stats for foriegners on motorbikes - but I have met several people in Pattaya who have been injured whilst on a taxi moped. Thailand has one of the worst road accident rates in the world and of course a huge percentage of that is motorbikes.

Part of the problem is the total disregard for safety by both drivers and passengers.

A farang told me once that he didn't drive fast enought to wear a crash helmet. ...If I walked past him and clipped his head with a hammer, how would he feel? And that is at 3 mph! A helmet protects against glancing blows that would kill even at walking speed yet people either don't wear them or don't strap them on properly or don't wear them at all. Even if you are going ten meteres down the road you should wear a hat! BTW most accidents happen within a few kms of home.

for those who speak thai and are interested in "live road accident" radio commentary (bangkok) , tune into 100.00fm any night around chucking out time.

its like listening to football score updates as accidents around bangkok and the associated traffic snarl ups they produce are breathlessly reported .

police , bystanders and victims loved ones just cant wait to phone in and are then interviewed and pressed for the goriest of details which they willingly provide.

last week a mother was sobbing down the line giving details of how she saw her son die 5 minutes previously after being run down by a speeding car.

the interviewer / presenter was merciless in the amount of detail she was attempting to drag out of the poor woman.

a large proportion of the accidents involve motorcycles , pillion passengers , no helmets and mangled heads and limbs , many deaths too.

deaths are reported in a very casual way and the witnesses to the accidents dont seem at all surprised or shocked by the carnage they witness.

falang victims occasionally get mentioned.

it never fails to surprise me just how cheap life is here in thailand , and it never fails to surprise me at just how stupid the thais can be when it comes to matters of common sense and the lack of it on the roads here.