What Is The Value Of A Thai Passport?

webfact

REGIONAL PERSPECTIVE

What is the value of a Thai passport?

Kavi Chongkittavorn

The Nation

30171681-01_big.JPG

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul's most important accomplishment, if he does proceed with his plan, would be the issuing of a passport as "a New Year gift" to fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra, who currently holds the citizenship of Montenegro. The minister has quickly got down to fulfilling his top priority, stated clearly after taking office in August, that Thaksin would get his document back. It remains to be seen whether the Democrat Party succeeds in impeaching Surapong for his decision.

The controversy over Thaksin's passport in recent years has also raised intriguing questions about the overall value of the Thai passport in the global community. Thai passports belonging to political leaders, celebrities, officials, diplomats or members of the Royal Family carry certain privileges that ordinary ones do not.

General Thai passport-holders have to stand in long queues waiting for their visa applications to be approved. Ordinary Thais also have to endure constant cynicism and even verbal abuse from the assigned personnel along the way, not to mention the numerous problems they have to overcome in order to get permission to enter. Worse, at some of the immigration checkpoints, especially in Europe, Thai passport holders will receive special treatment with sinister questions and suspicious looks from some officials, as if the visitors are criminals or terrorists on the loose. Some have even been turned back.

It is interesting to note that a Thai passport affords few advantages. It does not grant the bearer the freedom to travel, as do other Asian passports such as those of Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore or Brunei, whose holders enjoy visa waivers from more than 100 countries. In the case of Taiwan, for instance, even though the island has diplomatic relations with only 23 countries, mainly in Africa, Central America and the Pacific islands, its distinctive green passport is a key to the doors of 124 countries, and the number is growing. Thailand's position in the world today has been constantly downgraded - so has the Thai passport - due to continued domestic uncertainty and possible turmoil. The recent floods have further dampened the country's future economic growth prospects.

During the late 1970s and throughout the 1980s, Thai passport-holders carried some clout as they could visit the Scandinavian countries - rare among Southeast Asia countries at the time - and New Zealand without visas. That helped explain why national carrier Thai Airways International had several flights to the North. Some of them continue today. These countries served as the homes of Thai activists in exile during the first student uprising in 1973 and later in 1976. Now, visas are compulsory for Thai visitors to Scandinavia. Holders of Thai official and diplomatic passports can enter only 47 countries without a visa, while holders of ordinary passports have access to only 22 countries or territories, of which eight are Asean members. The others are Argentina, South Korea, Brazil, Panama, the Maldives, Seychelles, Peru, Chile, Russia, Peru, Mongolia, Macau, Hong Kong and Bahrain. Burma is still the only Asean country for which Thais require a visa.

The Thai government has given unilateral visa exemptions to 48 countries to boost tourism.

The Amazing Thailand campaign, which began in earnest in the 1990s, when the annual number of tourists was still under 10 million, has attracted more and more visitors to the country in the past two decades. Despite the recent floods, 17 million tourists have already visited the country this year - still short of the 19.5-million target.

Like it or not, visa requirements serve as a good barometer of the relationships between individual nations, which generally reflect levels of closeness of their friendship and the status of a country within the international community of nations. However, in the Thai case, it does not often reflect this reality. For example, both the US and France have long-standing diplomatic ties with Thailand. Washington often boasts that its excellent ties with Bangkok are the region's oldest with a 178-year history. Moreover, the two are key allies in the Asia-Pacific. But when it comes to visa requirements, Thailand is being treated as a normal country, with no reflection of their close relations and cooperation. In fact, continued efforts to negotiate a visa exemption in the past have not made progress. It is still not a priority.

At this juncture, given all the fanfare over the recent visit of US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton to showcase her country's efforts in flood-relief operations, Thailand still does not feature high in US foreign policy. In addition, Bangkok has not yet fulfilled certain criteria for consideration to be part of the US visa waiver programme. One of the most cited reasons was the high number of Thai tourists who become "robin hood" - illegal visa overstays - failing to return to Thailand after their US trips. At present, nearly 400,000 Thais live in the US, mainly in southern California. The number has been more or less stable in the past three decades. Quite a few countries that do not have longstanding relations with the US, however, have enjoyed visa waivers.

In a similar vein, Thai-Franco diplomatic relations go back more than 300 years to the times of French King Louis XIV and Thai King Narai. Sad but true, these ancient ties have no bearing on today's visa requirements or the manner in which the two governments treat their respective citizens. Ask Thai passport holders travelling to France how comfortable or easy it is to obtain a visa at the outsourced consular service office, and the likely answer often heard would be one of self-pity. They all wish that they could get a visa without too much hassle.

The Thai Foreign Ministry should be assertive and spend more time negotiating with foreign countries to expand its citizens' right to travel to as many as countries in the world as possible. Quite often, the ministry is lackadaisical because some senior officials do not want to see the country's name tarnished for fear that the ill-intentioned Thai passport holders would cause trouble in visiting countries. Most of the complaints received in Thai missions abroad were mainly of illegal workers of all kinds involving all genders. Recent negotiations with the EU have not yielded any progress due to repeated deportations of illegal Thai workers. Also, Thai diplomats have complained about the lack of interest by the EU bureaucrats on this issue. Down South in Narathiwat, many Thai-Malay citizens holding dual citizenship proudly show their Malaysian passports, which they often use to go to Europe under the Schengen visa exemptions.

In the age of globalisation, Scandinavian passports carry the most privileges, as the holders can roam most of the world's countries and territories without any visa requirement. Other European passports come second followed by North American. It is hoped that when the Foreign Ministry is not focused on the passport of one person - Thaksin - it will have the time and courage to negotiate with foreign governments, especially good friends, to expand the list of visa-exempted countries.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-12

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the complaints received in Thai missions abroad were mainly of illegal workers of all kinds involving all genders

Shouldn't that read 'involving both genders'?

Actually, it's probably correct to say 'all genders' :whistling:

Simon

I have a feeling the Thai elites really don't mind that Thais need visas for everywhere. I have certainly not heard of any attempts by Thai governments to ease the restrictions.

Cynical minds would maybe think that the Thai elites are for one, not affected by the passport restrictions, and secondly, don't mind that they keep the poor in the country (and working in their factories)...

One thing that really annoys me is

The Thai wife still has another 6 months to go before she will get her Australian Passport

But she has permanant residence in Australia and has also passed the UK Tourist visa as I was born in England and we have young child who also hold British and Australian Passports

But even though she has past the difficult task above, when she wants to get other visa she must go back through the complete test again

Facts Show more US citizens want to live in Australia than the other way around

So why do they still use the old excuse that she may not return to Australia

In todays computer world tie up, why when you past 1 1st world countries immigration system it is not taken into account with others

We waste so much time on government duplication

Yes she is counting the days when she can lock her Thai passport away. (only to be used on Thailand holidays)

There is no FACE having a Thai Passport

Getting an Australian Passport is like a giant step to HiSo living

Very intelligent article. Thai passports outside SE Asia are worthless. The fiefdom/ hierachical/feudalistic society laughs in closed quarters about those who even bother to apply. Many attitudes in Western Missions equate to="How dare you!." So why do they give visas to dishonest people and refuse honest people? As an example, Taiwan was recently given visa-free status to Canada. The visa requirement for Mexico was reinstated by Canada because of all the refugee clamaints(5000+). I wish any Thai citizen luck applying for a visa at a Western embassy.

My girl friend got an Aus visa in 3 days. Her friend got a Schengen visa in less than a week.

Because of the number of over stayers and illegal workers, it all comes down to proof of support and evidence to show that they will leave.

Why does Thailand still require some countries to apply for visas? For the same reasons that other countries make Thais apply.

Edited by whybother

Not that accurate with the math..

But 400,000 Thais in the states wouldn't that be over 1% of the population.

Obviously some of the posters here are clueless they think that reporting in every 90 days by mail if you wish is the end of the world.

They should maybe take a look at their home country's treatment of Thai's trying to get into it.

Also remember that they will be looking at a country they choose not to live in.

I carry a American passport and have a retirement visa in Thailand.

When I look at the conditions to take my Thai wife back for a visit to the states I am embarrassed to be an American.:(

Thailand is known for sex tourism, poor education, poor labor force, few skilled workers

corruption, lax legal system, so why would other countries want to ease the flow of

Thais to their country?

I think the author of this article just got rejected for a visa to travel, and is now just ranting

To the Australian guy (above). I am Australian and recently took my Thai wife and baby down there to visit my Mother.

I knew how difficult it is to obtain a visa for my wife to go to the USA - if applying in Thailand.

I had to go to the USA for a three month period. My wife still has a Thai passport and we have not applied for her Australian residency as yet.

She will get that - no problem. But, the point I am making - is that even without an Australian residency and only based on her holding a Thai passport, I managed to obtain a 10 year multiple entry B1 and B2 visa to the USA.

In my case, I had a bona vide business in the USA issue a letter to say that they wanted me over there to provide my professional advise / consulting.

Her interview at the USA Consulate in Sydney was no more than 10 minutes and she was issued the 10 year visa within 48 hours.

Of course, when we returned to Thailand, - most of her Thai friends, could not believe that she managed to obtain a 10 year visa to the USA.

It seems that if the matter is Bona Vide (solid proof) and the application is done outside of Thailand, - chances of success are greater.

But, she is very aware that her Thai Passport / Citizenship is a real handicap for international travel.

We are going to also obtain her Australian residency soon.

I hope that this information (re- USA visa) helps you.

Obviously some of the posters here are clueless they think that reporting in every 90 days by mail if you wish is the end of the world.

They should maybe take a look at their home country's treatment of Thai's trying to get into it.

Also remember that they will be looking at a country they choose not to live in.

When I look at the conditions to take my Thai wife back for a visit to the states I am embarrassed to be an American.:(

it would be about 0.13 % (300 million in US) 1% would be 3 million.

As compared to some number of illegal aliens in the 10 to 20 million, depending on who's estimate you use. (3.3. to 6.6%)

Edited by rakman

Thailand is known for sex tourism, poor education, poor labor force, few skilled workers

corruption, lax legal system, so why would other countries want to ease the flow of

Thais to their country?

I think the author of this article just got rejected for a visa to travel, and is now just ranting

No kidding, I agree with this. A lot of Thai editorials seem woefully uneducated about why conditions are like this. This "journalist" seems to believe other countries are persecuting Thais without understanding that Thailand is a highly corrupt developing world country known for mostly negative things abroad. I know many expats will insist Thailand's reputation for "fun" is a good thing but look at what that entails..mostly sex and debauchery. You get to have wild adventures in Thailand and have stories to tell that you would never get away with in the west.

Thais never seem to understand what the actual reputation of the country is to other nationalities.

No, I think you lost a decimal-point there, it would be over 0.1% ? :jap:

The article gives the impression that it's really easy for foreigners to come here, I wish that were true, it would be more-true if the Immigration Department allowed :-

- 90-days on-arrival, instead of just 30-days.

- on-line 90-day reporting, or even-better annual-reporting, of one's current-address

- 5-year or 10-year extensions for long-stay (retirement or married etc.) rather than annual extensions

- annual-extensions to include the right to re-entry automatically (ie abolish Re-Entry Permits)

A concerted effort would be needed, to improve the validity & usefulness of the standard Thai passport, but other countries will no-doubt take into account Thailand's treatment of their own citizens, when considering any changes. B)

It's the same in the UK. UK immigration is an embarrassment. Apparently the UK is losing £billions in tourism because rich tourists from place like China find it easier to get one visa for almost the whole of Europe rather than pay extra and face more hassle just to have a week in the UK.

But it's funny how so many farangs on here constantly complain about the minor inconveniences of living in Thailand. If they had to put up with what many foreigners do to get into the UK and USA they'd realise what an easy time they have.

As far as the USA and UK are concerned, you can enter if you are rich, but poor people aren't allowed to have a holiday. It's a disgrace.

Thai passports are wothless unless theyre validated by an o/seas employer or MARRY A FARANG and get him to pay for everything including citizenship of western countries. How many Thai girls are living on our welfare and family benefit systems but never paid taxes here or anywhere ???? The west is a sick joke. No wonder its going broke.

Thais to their country?

So you think that poor and unskilled people should be allowed to travel. And you think ordinary, honest citizens should be blamed for the lax legal system. And because some farangs travel to Thailand for sex, then you should blame the non-sex workers and ban them from travelling.

Your attitude is truly pathetic.

Thai passports are wothless unless theyre validated by an o/seas employer or MARRY A FARANG and get him to pay for everything including citizenship of western countries. How many Thai girls are living on our welfare and family benefit systems but never paid taxes here or anywhere ???? The west is a sick joke. No wonder its going broke.

Not sure what country you're referring to, but if a British guy marries a Thai woman she doesn't have any right to enter the UK. It's up to the man to prove that he has enough money to support her without getting welfare payments. I know a guy who married a Thai woman and it too 2 years before she got her visa. It's not as straightforward as many people seem to think.

The bi-lateral agreement for visa free travel between Thailand and New Zealand was unilaterally revoked by New Zealand.

Too many Thai females were not leaving when they should and when they were found out by NZ immigration, most of them were working as prostitutes in massage parlours.

Hmmm that reminds me I have to go to the immigration police again tomorrow to report myself like a paroled criminal...

If you're talking about your address reporting, it can be done by post, so no need to go there.

Not everywhere in Thailand, I can't report by post, so, wrong.

Not sure what country you're referring to, but if a British guy marries a Thai woman she doesn't have any right to enter the UK. It's up to the man to prove that he has enough money to support her without getting welfare payments. I know a guy who married a Thai woman and it too 2 years before she got her visa. It's not as straightforward as many people seem to think.

It is very straightforward as long as the relationship is genuine, you can tick all the right boxes and provide evidence to show that.

Every country has its own immigration laws and and rules. This is each country's prerogative and right. If you don't like it, don't apply to go to that country. (Ah, touche!)

Me and the missus go to the EU and UK every year. My missus never has any problems getting her tourist visas. She has a good job and good references. It's all about money and the possibility of you not returning to Thailand.

My missus doesn't get angry with the EU's or UK's government because of all the paper work and expensive fees. She gets mad at her own government for keeping the Thai passport worthless outside of S.E Asia.

Anyone with a steady income and a good job will easily be able to get visas for the west. Anyone without a pot to piss in will obviously find it harder to have that holiday in Lake Como, Italy.

Thais to their country?

So you think that poor and unskilled people should be allowed to travel. And you think ordinary, honest citizens should be blamed for the lax legal system. And because some farangs travel to Thailand for sex, then you should blame the non-sex workers and ban them from travelling.

Your attitude is truly pathetic.

Who said it was my opinion?

Nothing wrong with my attitude, I am just stating was is

commonly thought of by many people in other countries.

Unless you have something to offer or you have valid reasons

for travel, why should you be given a visa for another country.

In Canada, we have a points system for visas

It is all based on education, job skills and work experience

If you do not meet the requirements, no visa

A passport does not give anyone a right to travel

I have as much sympathy for Thai passport holders as their government does for foreigners married to Thais and living in Thailand, who after even ten or twenty years are treated as virtual long stay tourists, with nearly zero rights. Compare that to a Thai who marries a foreigner and goes to live in a Western country. It might be hard to get the initial visa but once you are in you're in, no repeat process.