Us Visa For My Thai Gf To Go There From Canada.

My GF has been to Canada twice already, for 6 months second time. We just came back and applied for a miltiple entry visa to Canada. As soon as she gets it, she will apply for the US visa.

When we are in Canada next time, we're planning to make a trip to the US. I don't know if it's possible to apply for the US visa while she's in Canada, if she can, it would probably save us a lot of headache, I thing it would be easier and faster to get it while in Canada, but I don't know if it can be done this way or at all, so need an advice on this.

If can't go the above way, would have to apply here in Thailand, then I will need some pointers on where to go and what to do. We've never done it before.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

I wouldn't assume that it will necessarily be faster to obtain a US non-immigrant visa for a Thai national in Canada. It may be easier to get an appointment at a consulate in Canada, however unless the applicant provides a plausible explanation for why they did not apply for a visa in Thailand, their application may be referred to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok for further background checks. That would add days or weeks to the processing time.

Yup, by vehicle from Yukon Canada to Alaska US, and back.

Do you have a web linky handy? That link in the first reply aint US embassy, doesn't lok like it.

Oops. fingers faster than my eyes, I guess, had been looking at the northern Thai & Lao border areas where I came up with that Yunan link.

Try this one:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas.html

Do hope you're thinking of a summer visit!

Mac

Yup, by vehicle from Yukon Canada to Alaska US, and back.

Do you have a web linky handy? That link in the first reply aint US embassy, doesn't lok like it.

Oops. fingers faster than my eyes, I guess, had been looking at the northern Thai & Lao border areas where I came up with that Yunan link.

Try this one:

http://bangkok.usemb...rant_visas.html

Do hope you're thinking of a summer visit!

Mac

Post #7 is a solid link. The online US visa forms can be a little confusing. Stick with it, fill it all out, and be honest.

I don't know your situation, but it can be done. Honesty with the US Embassy will be your best friend.

The border stations crossing just north of

Skagway, Alaska into Canada and just north of Haines, Alaska into Canada are open all year.

Buy your loved one some warm clothes. Maybe mid 70s at day, but mid 30s at night.

Good luck.

If your have any questions about the application or interview process, PM me.

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah we aren't going in the winter, lol, it will be late Summer, early Fall.. Living in Alberta, I am not new to cold, Edmontonieans aren't surprised to see temps below -30C (-22F) and in 2009 the recorded temp was at -46.1C (-51F). My GF was there in a winter time and she got some warm clothes. Thx for the warnings anyways. :)

My Thai husband had the easiest time getting a visitors visa (in Bangkok) for the US after he had been to Canada on two TRVs. Once they knew that I was Canadian and had never lived in the US, he had been to Canada twice, and we were only going to the US to visit my dad, they didn't ask him any other questions or have a look at the binder of proof we had brought them. He was given a 10 year multiple entry visa to the US.

meme, did you ask for a multiple entry or they just gave it to you? In Canadian visa application, you specify what type of visa you want, don't know about the US visa. It sure would be nice to get a multiple entry for her, she just got 3 years multiple to Canada.

I'm amazed you got a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for a Thai gf!

Over 10 years I"ve tried to get a Canadian TRV with two different gf's with no luck. The second one even worked for the Thai government Immigration Department.

Both times, take a hike was the answer from the Canadian Gov't Embassy in Bangkok (which is run by holier than the Pope Thai females in Bangkok, not Canadians). Basically their answer was, if you want a Thai female to come to Canada, especially one who isn't from Bangkok, marry her and wait in line for a Family Class sponsorship. That line is now almost two years long! It got a lot longer when the Conservatives got in BTW.

So my experience is Canada is a "closed shop" to visitors from non G-20 countries, probably because of Canada's lax approach to refugee claimants which results in scores of people getting in the clandestine way........but getting to stay.

You must have the "magic" touch. Don't be crestfallen if the USA doesn't grant your gf a tourist visa. I"ve heard USA is easier on Thai's than Canada....but you seem to have had a fantastic run of luck with Immigration Canada it is bound to run out sooner or later.

Signed: Canadian who loves his country but doesn't love his government.

Edited by Mudshark17

I don't think they ask if you want a single or multiple entry, or if they do we checked single and got multiple. We were really surprised we got a ten year multiple entry, but I have heard this is not unusual. Good luck!

Thanks meme, I guess we will see when we filling the application.

Mudshark17, I don't know yoiur case, maybe there is just one thing that you do wrong every time, stops your GFs from getting a visa. I have a few Canadian friends here who got their GFs / wifes Canadian visa.

First and a second time we applied with a visa agency. First time (2 weeks) because I didn't know anything about the process and the required documents, second time (6 months) because I was too busy to do it myself and still a little confused about the process.

I was told by many that once she gets it, she would get it every next time she applies. My GF got it first time quick and no interview. Second time she was asked to come to an interview (I was surprised and worried), but she got it.

Third time we applied a few days after we returned from Canada. She came to pick up her documents 5 business days later and there was a multiple 3 years visa in her passport.

I suggest you try a visa agent next time, like I said, maybe there is one small thing you're doing wrong.