Nokia 701 Or 603 Owners Review Required

thaicbr

lumia 900 is coming out soon Mjo if u didn't know - http://mynokiablog.c...age-1/#comments

I'm gonna wait for that one with bigger screen, better camera and nfc. Let us know how the 800 is tho if u pick it up.

Symbian was pretty <deleted> before but its actually pretty good with belle now (and especially with this custom belle I'm running on my n8 runs nice and fast)

Saw that and was planning to wait but went and lost my phone so need one now. I reckon the 800 will hold out until there is something interesting out with proper qwerty.

Ok, been using the Lumia 800 for couple of days now and first impression is positive.

First the micro sim issue proved to be no issue at all. Got sim cutter and some adapters to use the micro sim on my other devices with regular sim slots. Cut my sim and works ok. Though went to AIS and got micro sim the next day in any case as my old sim was over 10 years old.

General feel of the phone is solid and good. The one piece poly carbonate body feels really good in your hand and the curved gorilla glass as well. Nothing like flimsy Samsung and much better than usually solid HTC's. The phone is heavier than others adding to the solid feel. And it does look sleek !

For the WP7 then.

The os runs like a dream and is fast. Responsiveness is much improved from Symbian and better than my old HTC running the latest stock Android and Sense. Setting up your accounts etc is a breeze, easier than in HTC Andoroid. The menus and settings are more simple and easier for all non techies than Symbian / Android. I was up and running with all synced in 15 mins or so. MS Exchange corporate email, gmail, hotmail, facebook, linkedin, twitter, evernote and some other must have apps.

User experience is different of iPhone and Androids. Not as closed as iOS and not that open as Android but in the middle IMHO. You can customize the home screen and pin anything there you like. Apps, widgets, web pages, contacts etc etc.

As it works bit different than the competition it takes bit of time to find all the features but it's logical so i didn't need manual as such. Only consulted pre-installed tutoria couple of times for tasks like linking inboxes which is cool feature as you can create "groups" with your accounts i.e. one inbox for various work emails and another for personal etc.

Camera good old Nokia quality with one press "fix" that makes the pics look more bright especially when taken in low light situation. Nokia maps and navigation seems to be the same good old quality although haven used the navi yet.

For sure it takes some time to get used to it but again first impression is good, nothing super cool but positively surprised i'd say. Good choice for those who don't want to pay the money for iPhone or dislike their closed system or for those who don't have the interest in tweaking their phone and don't bother with the features Android has for mods.

And those who already have Xbox live with Zune accounts etc the linking seems to be seamless. Downloaded Zune software and it syncs great and again very easy to transfer music to phone etc and set up the sync. Much nicer than crappy HTC software which i grade below the latest Nokia suite for Symbian.

Then the downsizes, even though market is full of apps and i got almost everything i needed (apart from couple of my native language golf and tv apps) it seems Skype is not yet available. Hope it is coming soon, it seems Skype pulled out on MS but are now part of the MS group?

And last but not least is the power consumption, do not expect usual Nokia battery times here. More like Android devices now. It seems very bad now but the batteries usually need few cycles to perform. Also settings might be an issue, i assume all bells and whistles are on as default. There has been also reports of software update being released at the moment to improve the battery life. Maybe some bugs still being ironed out.

So over all good phone and OS. Plug and play option for those who don't want Apple prices and iTunes and for those who do not enjoy modding their phone and home screens of Android.

Thanks, MJo! Very interesting report, much what I was expecting.

Just one question: it is probably well integrated into the Windows infrastructure. But if you run Linux or Mac, will you have problems or restrictions? How about syncing google calendars or address books? How about transfering music?

Thanks, MJo! Very interesting report, much what I was expecting.

Just one question: it is probably well integrated into the Windows infrastructure. But if you run Linux or Mac, will you have problems or restrictions? How about syncing google calendars or address books? How about transfering music?

Hi,

Google calendar, contacts and email syncs just as smooth as Exchange servers and Windows Live.

Seems that Zune software does not support linux. Mac users are always keen and fast to point out that their devices do the same as Windows and do it better + tons of other stuff that is missing from Windows so i'm sure mac is ok laugh.gif