New Laptop - Singapore Or Malaysia

BinKata

I have to do a Visa run next week and i want to buy a new Laptop.

I have heard that the prices are better in Malaysia & Singapore then in Thailand.

But is the prices better in Malaysia or Singapore? And if so, is there a particular store to buy my laptop?

Thanks

Check out the guarantee that is offered.

If you do have a problem, it will be pain to have to travel to get it fixed.

Also make sure you have a good idea of the Thai specs and prices before you buy in Singapore,

just to make sure you really are getting a bargain.

I would go to Pantip or whatever store in convenient for you in Thailand and find the computer you like then try using Google to find online computer stores in each country to find that model...

Ex: http://computer.onlinestore.sg/notebooks.html

Then compare prices...

Also note that all Thai prices include VAT - If you buy in Thailand most larger stores will give you VAT refund paperwork... When you leave Thailand for your visa run you can get the VAT back ;)

PS - Remember that the VAT refund is a two step process where you need to show the computer to Thai Customs BEFORE you pass thru Immigration then after Immigration you can go to the VAT refund window to get the cash refund.

Edited by sfokevin

I lived in Kuala Lumpur for a few years and when I needed to go for a visa run it was either Singapore or Thailand, looked at prices for laptops and they were cheaper in KL than Singapore, Thailand didn't seem to have the choice albeit I used to only go to Southern Thailand.

In KL I bought mine in Low Yat plaza, about 5 floors of stores to choose from and don't forget to haggle with the price as well as asking for freebies, memory stick. lock, programs etc.

Mine came with an international warranty and used it when I was back in UK for a short time, no problem. Remember to check out the keyboard layout as they do differ and it can be annoying having 2 laptops and different layouts.

I would go to Pantip or whatever store in convenient for you in Thailand and find the computer you like then try using Google to find online computer stores in each country to find that model...

Ex: http://computer.onli.../notebooks.html

Then compare prices...

Also note that all Thai prices include VAT - If you buy in Thailand most larger stores will give you VAT refund paperwork... When you leave Thailand for your visa run you can get the VAT back ;)

PS - Remember that the VAT refund is a two step process where you need to show the computer to Thai Customs BEFORE you pass thru Immigration then after Immigration you can go to the VAT refund window to get the cash refund.

So it might be better to buy it in Thailand and take my computer with me on my Visa Run. What is the VAT %?

In Singapore and Malaysia, do OS come standard on computers?

Or is it just like Thailand were no OS is installed.

You can get an OS in Thailand without much trouble, just have to ask for it. Or choose one of the models where it's pre-installed (Acer, Sony, HP all have them). It's around BHT 1800 extra.

IMO prices in Thailand are the same as Singapore, Malaysia was more expensive last time I checked (long time ago though).

Advantages of buying in Singapore:

- Better customer service - Singapore is probably the place with the best customer service in the world. Then again you'll have to go there, or send your laptop there for service so it's a toss-up.

- English keyboard with no Thai letters - might be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on your use.

- High end models and configurations are more readily available. In Thailand it's all mostly low end junk.

In Singapore and Malaysia, do OS come standard on computers?

Or is it just like Thailand were no OS is installed.

In Malaysia operating system was the latest one and genuine, didn't know about Thailand not having one.

The one I bought in Low Yat in KL a few years ago had no OS on it.

Many models in Thailand don't either you have to pay extra.

yes, all notebook sold in singapore come with an OS. you can upgrade (32-bit to 64bit) or downgrade to XP with extra charge.

the warranty is international, no problem when you drop in thailand service centre for repairs etc.

There's a couple of computer centres in Singapore if I remember right?

And they have websites.

maybe you can help with the names or web addresses?

yes, all notebook sold in singapore come with an OS. you can upgrade (32-bit to 64bit) or downgrade to XP with extra charge.

the warranty is international, no problem when you drop in thailand service centre for repairs etc.

And they have websites.

I'm currently back and forth between Singapore and Thailand right now and prices in Singapore (coupled with the poor exchange rate) are little or no cheaper than Thailand.

Singapore has a couple of places worth checking out, Funan IT as previously mentioned and Sim Lim Square. Funan is more friendly and has a great selection. I actually prefer to have the Thai character keyboard as I quite often type in thai. I've bought my last 2 laptops in Thailand.

Low Yat in KL is a good place also as previously mentioned and if you ask they will install OS with additional cost. Prices are sometimes shown with no OS as maybe the user wants to install a free Linux OS rather than using Microsoft.

And they have websites.

Funan centre and Sim Lim Square are the two main one, but tourist should avoid Sim Lim Square (unethical sellers/resellers).

Major shopping malls, will have branches of reputable retailers such as challengers, best denki, courts, harvey norman etc.

I buy during IT fair, there are 4 such fair in 1 calendar year. the discount can be S$200 more excluding the free gift such as thumb drive, anti-virus s/w, headsets, food vouchers and notebook bag.

Four IT fair in singapore

http://jollytan.hubpages.com/hub/Comex-Computer-Exhibition-in-Singapore

Price list

http://www.hardwarezone.com/priceLists