Unregistered Goods In The Post ?

freedomnow

Does stuff tend to go missing in the post at times if it is unregistered and sent to C.M.?

I buy supps for exercise yearly, creatine etc and worry that a bulk $300 package may disappear in Thailand.

Is it registered post all the way for guaranteed delivery ?!

Any of you had bad experience with Thai postal service ?

Goods where I am always arrive unregistered post and don't get taxed below $175.Is that the case in Thailand ?

Edited by freedomnow

The chance of receiving anything that is not registered is close to zero. In 4+ years I've had about 10 packages sent to me from destinations around the world that weren't registered and I only received 2 of them. One was from Korea and by Airmail it took 3 months to get to C.M. If you want to avoid import duty make sure the sender declares a low value (like 500-1000 Baht) and 'gift' or expect to pay import duty; some items are taxed 36%!

I don't know what you mean by "$", which could be AUD, USD, SGD, etc. but in Thailand we use the Thai Baht.

The chance of receiving anything that is not registered is close to zero. In 4+ years I've had about 10 packages sent to me from destinations around the world that weren't registered and I only received 2 of them. One was from Korea and by Airmail it took 3 months to get to C.M. If you want to avoid import duty make sure the sender declares a low value (like 500-1000 Baht) and 'gift' or expect to pay import duty; some items are taxed 36%!

I don't know what you mean by "{:content:}quot;, which could be AUD, USD, SGD, etc. but in Thailand we use the Thai Baht.

Cheers Elektrified,I pretty much guessed that lack of integrity in the postal service.I had a box sent to me from Thailand "dipped" then sealed and sent on.

My friend sent an expensive ghettoblaster type thingy to Thailand and it was opened and exchanged for a cheap radio cassette player ! Everything in the box was exchanged for something cheaper and similar.

BIZARRE !

I don't know what you mean by "{:content:}quot;, which could be AUD, USD, SGD, etc. but in Thailand we use the Thai Baht.

Cheers Elektrified,I pretty much guessed that lack of integrity in the postal service.I had a box sent to me from Thailand "dipped" then sealed and sent on.

My friend sent an expensive ghettoblaster type thingy to Thailand and it was opened and exchanged for a cheap radio cassette player ! Everything in the box was exchanged for something cheaper and similar.

BIZARRE !

Nothing BIZARRE about things being stolen in Thailand in one way or another but lets face it, you can lose your post in any country to live in. So far my experience in almost four years has been 100% good as far as delivery of parcels from Britain is concerned. They always arrive by ordinary parcel service within 10 days and not one has ever been opened. I always tell senders to put a value of no more than 1,000 Baht, no matter what the value of the contents is. Seems to be working so far but TIT, so anything is possible in the next half hour !

BIZARRE !

Nothing BIZARRE about things being stolen in Thailand in one way or another but lets face it, you can lose your post in any country to live in. So far my experience in almost four years has been 100% good as far as delivery of parcels from Britain is concerned. They always arrive by ordinary parcel service within 10 days and not one has ever been opened. I always tell senders to put a value of no more than 1,000 Baht, no matter what the value of the contents is. Seems to be working so far but TIT, so anything is possible in the next half hour !

BIZARRE was in reference to all the items being replaced with cheaper ones rather than just disappearing.Like a burglar stealing your 80 inch Samsung 1080p TV then leaving a 18" black and white boob tube out of guilt !

Edited by freedomnow

BIZARRE !

BIZARRE was in reference to all the items being replaced with cheaper ones rather than just disappearing.Like a burglar stealing your 80 inch Samsung 1080p TV then leaving a 18" black and white boob tube out of guilt !

Seems odd behavior I agree but probably Thai postal workers sorting parcels thought it was time to replace their knackered radio with a more updated model and needed to get rid of the old one ! The lesson here for the sender/receiver was don't bother sending such items in the post when they are pretty much the same price here, and in some cases cheaper.

BIZARRE !

As you say it can happen any place in the world.

But Thailand is not the only pace where things can go wrong. What country is it coming from.

I have received all letters sent to me if they were addressed to the right place. I never order any thing by mail all though I know many people do. And I have heard no problem with it from them.

I have sent many packages and they have all been delivered.

BIZARRE !

So you are saying you had one sent from Thailand

and one sent to Thailand

and both of them went awry.

What country were they being sent to and what country were they being received from.

As far as coming into Thailand yes they do at times open them for customs and a switch could have taken place there.

Not to contradict or question anyone else's experience or opinion, but in the brief time I've lived here (5 yrs) I have received dozens of packages and letters, mailed from family in the US, merchants in the US and Asia, etc. Never had anything go missing. And except for the 2 instances below, never paid a satang of Thai duty. And I have mailed dozens of important documents from here to the US; never had one not arrive.

Once, when I ordered nutritional supplements from a company in California, I got a notice to go to the main postal facility near Wat Phra Singh. Went there with the slip, recovered my package with about $100 USD worth of nutritional supplements, and paid ~ $10 USD/300 THB customs duty.

Every other time, things have skated through, except for a recently ordered Kindle from amazon.com- I had to pay Thai customs duty upfront on that order. But the OP was asking about unregistered mail, and that order doesn't qualify as it came via DHL Global, and he is not asking about customs duty; my apologies for digressing.

Nope, I have never had one piece of mail gone missing via Thai Post, ever. Neither outbound nor inbound.

My mother just sent me a book from California- it arrived in 7 days. During the holiday season, no less, from the wilds of Northern California.

I can't praise the Thai postal system enough.

I have a hunch some of the bad experiences people have with mail here is in the originating country, not Thailand......who is to say it is not some dodgy part-timer in Brighton working for half the union rate, who is switching boom boxes? Just a thought. B)

In the past 4 years I have had approximately 20 parcels sent to me here from the UK with none of them registered, content value usually 150 to 300 USD. None have gone astray yet and all arrive with all contents complete and usually within a week.

I have sent a number of parcels from Chiang Mai to the UK and they have all arrived fine.

I dont think the problem lies with the Thai postal service.

Iain

Like McGriffth, I have been here five years and had dozens of unregistered packages sent to me from the US and GB. I have NEVER lost a thing. Thai Post has been absolutely golden. That said, I never have the declaration showing value over $100 or declare any valua ble item (like a watch, camera or computer). I have the sender use a generic designation like "gift" for such things. I have developed a total trust in Thai Post.

I live in Phit'lok. The people at my local post office all know me personally (I made sure of that). All if the stories I have heard of postal disapperances have come from "big farang places" like Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. This leads me to believe that the thefts are coming at the end of the chain (as everything I get comes through clearing in Bangkok). Perhaps in those big city environments with a lot of farang, there is more corruption and less respect for the law. Postal carriers there may have come to realize that packages to farangs often contain some neat stuff and the unregistered ones can simply disappear.

By the way, I also heard of a case here where the postal carrier left an item addressed to a friend of mine with his neighbor -- as a courtesy, because my friend was not home. It was a computer, so when it did not arrive, my friend was concerned and went to the post office. He found the carrier, who explained leaving the item at the neighbor's a week before. My friend went to his neighbor's and there was his package over in a corner. Why the neighbor never volunteered the package is a mystery. My friend has speculated that perhaps the neighbor planned to just let the package sit, and if nobody came to claim it, the neighbor would just keep it. I guess you would call it "passive theft."

Edited by TongueThaied

The Thai postal system is quite good. Problems can and do occur with the postal systems in all countries. I'm a fairly high volume user of the postal system since I shop on-line for almost everything. I've shopped that way for years. In the last 4 1/2 years I've probably had 500 packages sent to me here in C.M. from around the world. Out of about 500, 12 have gone missing. 8 were not registered and 4 were. The missing registered parcels were sent from Russia, Korea, the USA and Germany. When I lived in Spain and the Czech Republic I lost far more than 12 non-registered parcels over a 4 1/2 year period of time that were sent to me from other European countries. I think the key is to be sure that the packages are sent registered or there is only a 50/50 chance you will get them; here or anywhere in the world. I have never had the packages tampered with or the contents switched like another poster reported. Here in Thailand, the only packages that have been opened were packages which came from the USA in those 'Priority Mail' boxes.

Now if I want to buy something and there is no possibility of sending it to me registered, I'll pass on the purchase. One (registered) package that went missing was worth over 20,000 THB. After a lengthy dispute through American Express which I used to make the purchase, and the vendor put up a good battle, I prevailed and in the end got my money back.

Edited by elektrified