Best Deal In Pattaya

thaidiver

You cant get 500 GB Acer hard drives for 1,000 baht. 500 GB drives will range from 2,000 baht for Acer to maybe 2600 baht for WD. The prices have definately increased since the floods though for WD. WD 500 GB before the floods were about 1800-2000 baht.

You cant get 500 GB Acer hard drives for 1,000 baht. 500 GB drives will range from 2,000 baht for Acer to maybe 2600 baht for WD. The prices have definately increased since the floods though for WD. WD 500 GB before the floods were about 1800-2000 baht.

I purchased my WD 500 long before the floods and it cost around THB3,000 from Tukcom, top floor.

The best place in Pattaya for external hard drives is, obviously, Tuk Com. I've shopped around there before for an external hard drive and the prices were very much the same at whatever shop that I browsed.

I find that prices in Tukcom can vary hugely from shop to shop.

I bought a power lead for 30B yesterday; another nearby shop wanted 200B for the same lead. Most places I asked were around 50-100B. And of course I had to ask the price in every shop, as they rarely put a price on the items. Nothing annoys me more than that.

I've also noticed 20% price varations are common for larger items and that prices generally are far higher than they should be, presumably because of all the little shops scrabbling to make a living by selling small quantities of the same things, and all with the same high overheads (it's the same problem with local estate agents, of course).

If Amazon or similar started distributing here most shops in Tukcom would close overnight.

Pricing generally in Thailand is very odd. I was looking for a new TV earlier this week. Everywhere (Powerbuy, Tesco, Numchai etc) had the model I wanted, all listed at the same 73000B. But in one shop a salesman said, without being asked, "Oh, there's 3000 off and another 10% off if you pay by credit card", or over 10K off in total which is not to be sniffed at. No signs up anywhere at all about it. The other shops, when asked, said "no discount".

as 1/4 of the world's HDD production was submerged, the prices nearly doubled. I was also shocked when I had to buy a new HDD for my laptop the other week.

And yes, TukCom is probably the best place to shop around.

But in one shop a salesman said, without being asked, "Oh, there's 3000 off and another 10% off if you pay by credit card", or over 10K off in total which is not to be sniffed at. No signs up anywhere at all about it. The other shops, when asked, said "no discount".

And you're just NOT going to tell us the name of that shop.

I got a 1TB 3.5in 7200rpm Seagate internal drive the other day in Tukcom for 4000B. I was quite pleased given the flooding problems.

You should be, no one at Tukcom would even sell me a bare bones drive 3 weeks ago and I eventually ended paying 2,990 at the shop across the street from Foodland on Klang for a 500 GB Seagate

And you're just NOT going to tell us the name of that shop.

Why not? It was Numchai on Sukumvit and I bought it this morning from Numchai Central Festival for the same price using my Kbank card. I got the 10K discount and it was delivered this afternoon.