Full Suspension Frameset?

Puwa

I've been enjoying my Trek hardtail for the past few years, and have by now upgraded brakes, gears and shifters, wheelset, cranks and pedals etc. The components are great, but I'm starting to feel the limitations of the frame itself on single track. I'm considering going to a full suspension setup, but have no experience with these. Any tips on good deals among the popular brands here? I thought I'd budget 10K baht--is that realistic? How much "roadworthiness" do I lose

when dropping the hardtail in favor of better suspension off road? In Chiang Mai, by the way. Thanks!

Hi 'Puwa' Reading your post; 'Full Suspension Frameset' am I right in thinking you don't want the whole thing, but you intend to put all the goodies on it, from your hardtail, that's about it……Right?

First a frame set for 10k…………Sure you can get a nice Chinese frame set for that. Now, I was always told, (by more experienced rider) spend your money on a good frame, the rest…You can add to as you go along. Adding good components to a cheap frame…….It's never worth it.

IMHO, I would email all the shops and ask what FS, Frame-sets they have and how much, then get on some web-sites and start reading about the set's you like…..for the price on offer. I think you should be looking to start at 40k…………

I now own my first 'bouncer'9 months in, (always owned hardtails) and I love it! As for "roadworthiness"No worries, but having said that, I do tend to ride in the saddle, and don't stand up when I put power down, so no off-putting bounce.

If you ever want to get out for a ride-out, drop me a line, you'd be welcome to try my EX5.

Laters

Tonto

hi tonto, thanks for the replies. you're right, as i've been checking around the shops it looks like 10K is totally unrealistic. cherry bike in chiangmai quoted me 58K for a specialized fsr xc frame and shock. suddenly the hardtail didn't seem so bad. i think i'll go for plan b and pick up a frame when i am back in the states next. thanks for the invitation to ride. are you in chiangmai?

Hi ‘Puwa’ …No worries, just giving you a ‘poke’ mate …..I live in Mae Taeng, about 40 Km north on the 107 out of CM……I’m sure some will be well pissed with me saying this….again, but……..Great MTB riding to be had here!

So No, I don’t live in CM, but I do travel, and always happy to ride with anyone, (Ask ‘T_dog’.....Only kidding T-dog!)…anywhere, unfortunately I had another get-off two days a-go, that old ‘action reply….slow mow’ over the bars, hurt me leg!…I missed a ride-out with ‘junglechief’ this morning.

If you are up for some off road, (not to technical) drop me a line…………just give me a few days, to get some feeling in my left leg…….and be able to bend it! I can ride any time. Laters

Tonto

thanks tonto, i'll take you up on the mae taeng offer one of these days. was just up at the mae ngad dam the other day. beautiful area and i've always wanted to explore it on the bike. puwa

Well 'Puwa' pull your finger out, PM me and come out for a ride............

Laters

Tonto

Edited by Tonto21

• 3 weeks later...

I love my old Merida hardtail and have thought of going to full sus but don't want a heavier bike. Full suspension is heavier than hardtail unless you pay more for lighter frame materials and componets. If you are going to shop for a frame in the states you may have more choices, Carbon fiber, Scandium check it out. http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/general-discussion/20470-scandium-vs-titanium.html

When I was looking in California, Salsa (salsacycles.com) had some relatively affordable and light weight scandium frame choices.

thanks for the tip drtree. actually i've gone ahead and bought a nice secondhand frame online in the US, where there's a better market for large frames. it will be a couple of months before i can bring it back. during the interval i'm sure i will grossly exceed my budget buying components. i decided to keep my hardtail rideable rather than transfer everything onto the new frame. the saga begins...

Interested in hearing what you found and bought. I just cracked the frame on my full-suspension and looking for a new one. If you looking for a ride I live 12 km out of town and know some nice places to ride here, Mae Guwan dam and single track and always appreciate company, I've also been up to Tontos and it's real nice there if you can put up with him.

hi chef, thanks, i've heard that there's good riding up at mae guwan but have never checked it out. i'm pretty slow myself so i don't really try to keep up-- just staying upright is enough of a challenge. i'm only living in chiangmai part time these days but will definitely take you up on the offer to show me the trails there.

i went for a classic: 2004 specialized s-works enduro fsr, with the fox rear shock and "brain" setup. then i picked up a used fox fork with 130mm travel. about $1000 for the pair. i'm having fun looking at drivetrains etc. the avid bb7 brakes on the hardtail have been great so i may just go with another set for this bike when it finally gets here and gets built up. ride on,

puwa

No worries I enjoy a social ride at a relaxed speed and always rec. riding ones own ride that their comfortable with as to enjoy and not to get hurt, I don't heal as quick as I use to. Just Pm anytime your up for it. Still waiting for a reply (and an ear full) from my buddy Tonto!

No worries I enjoy a social ride at a relaxed speed and always rec. riding ones own ride that their comfortable with as to enjoy and not to get hurt, I don't heal as quick as I use to. Just Pm anytime your up for it. Still waiting for a reply (and an ear full) from my buddy Tonto!

"I've also been up to Tontos and it's real nice there if you can put up with him".........................

Mate....I take my hat of to you.......Your a better man than me, for putting up with my company! See you next week!

• 4 months later...

Finally brought this thing over from the US. I definitely spent more than 10K baht. But the woman at Cherry Bike nearly fainted when I told her that I paid only 18K for the frame, while she has one (albeit newer) hanging on the wall for 89K. "Don't tell anyone--tell them you paid 70K!"

I carried the whole bike as luggage and had no problem at customs at CNX.

post-17988-0-53882700-1337998979_thumb.j

post-17988-0-96754300-1337999231_thumb.j