Sub Dividing Land

I'm looking at buying a larger piece of land and putting it into mu gf's name.

It's to big for personal use and we just want to get it re-surveyed into smaller pieces to resell.

There are no houses currently on the land and it does have a chanote, which I would like to have for the smaller pieces.

Questions...

Does the way it's registered have any impact on this, or, how should it be registered at the land office to allow this reselling?

I'm assuming that each piece would have to be registered at the land office for the chanote.

Any procedures,reommendations, suggestions or a guestimation on costs would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Just go the land department; tell them the sizes of each of the sub-divides and they will come and do a "Rang Wat" (measure the land and install marker stones).

Costs about 1000-2000 (i'm guessing this will be per divide), and takes about 1 month for them to come out and then about another month to get the new chanotes.

They will issue you a new chanote for each new subdivide, except for one which will keep the original chanote with bits crossed out.

Beware the Rang Wat guys are real hustlers (both the main guy and his laborers), you do not need to pay him any "extra" money.

Last time I asked the laborer guys how much to knock in a couple of longer marker polls that i'd bought (the official markers are very small). They wanted 800baht per 2m pole! LOL; did it myself.

Edited by dave111223

Just go the land department; tell them the sizes of each of the sub-divides and they will come and do a "Rang Wat" (measure the land and install marker stones).

Costs about 1000-2000 (i'm guessing this will be per divide), and takes about 1 month for them to come out and then about another month to get the new chanotes.

They will issue you a new chanote for each new subdivide, except for one which will keep the original chanote with bits crossed out.

Beware the Rang Wat guys are real hustlers (both the main guy and his laborers), you do not need to pay him any "extra" money.

Last time I asked the laborer guys how much to knock in a couple of longer marker polls that i'd bought (the official markers are very small). They wanted 800baht per 2m pole! LOL; did it myself.

A little off topic, but I am currently looking to buy land and have been checking out a number of plots (with chanote). However, I have not been able to find any marker poles, can someone tell me what I should be looking for (or even better, post a picture of an official marker pole)?

Thank you in advance.

Sophon

A little off topic, but I am currently looking to buy land and have been checking out a number of plots (with chanote). However, I have not been able to find any marker poles, can someone tell me what I should be looking for (or even better, post a picture of an official marker pole)?

Thank you in advance.

Sophon

Here's a picture of a marker.

It is a cylinder block about 4inches in diameter and about a foot and a half long with numbers on the top. They are almost always covered with dirt so the rang wat guys will have to poke and dig around to find it.

If they cannot find the markers they put new ones in and change the marker numbers on the chanote.

(file attachments don't seem to be working you'll have to just go by the description)

Edited by dave111223

How many pieces are we talking about? Has an effect on the approval process needed, if any.

I'm picking up 22 rai in a fast growth area and was thinking of either 3-4 rai plots, the size typically favored by the ex pats here.

Thanks for the response.

Thanks. 1-2k baht seems fair enough.

I'll want to run a road somwwhere for commom access. How will this be documented or noted as useable by all?

• 1 year later...

My Thai wife bought a plot of land just under one rai from a Thai woman married to a Farang. That Farang had been wise enough to build and install a common right of way, well done concrete road with access to all six plots of land his wife had sub divided at the local land office. An easement document prepared in Thai and English was signed and registered at the local land office. All top of the line Chanotes land papers. The devil in the details, and getting Electrical service, sewer service and Government water service was "no problem" as long as you paid the respective PEA or Water Department for the right size meter. Not all water supply pipes from the main municipal water line are the same diameter and not all electric service is the same from the main power lines, both of which run along a paved municipal road. You want "bigger pipe, you want a bigger water meter", "Up to You, just pay more". Not crazy money. Electrical service options where you are not on the current main PEA power lines is a whole different kettle of fish. 15 amp one price, 45 amp single phase another POSTED price. The water department in our town gave us options, a written price quote, showed us the possible water meters, and made it clear no blue pvc pipe could be run from the main water line to our water meter. They used a better quality black water pipe.

Then the "option" of splitting the new larger water pipe (just prior to OUR water meter) so a neighbor could in theory have access to 50% of the water coming down the pipe. I was agreeable with one split of the water, it has worked out. My neighbor helped pay a fair share of the new water pipe service. I recently turned down the 2nd request to split the water from a third neighbor, hence I would only have access to 33% of the possible water. So the person who bought another plot of land had to make their own arrangements with the water department for a completely separate service water pipe to be run to their new house plot, from the main water line.

The Water department is transparent in pricing, they show per meter what the pipe costs including installation, and I want to stress you have a choice of diameter. There is a larger REFUNDABLE deposit for the larger water meter service and pray you do not ever loose the actual written deposit receipt. No matter what size water pipes, of course some days "no government water", hence we keep 4500 liters of clean water stored. I had a building permit in my name, all utilities are in my name, so the whole "process" went very smooth with the water department. No bribes, no run around, in fact it only took a few days to get pipes laid and a meter hooked up. It solved the "temporary water' situation for during construction. We had a 2000 liter water storage tank for construction water as the building staff might want to mix concrete each day, and could do so during a blackout of electricity, but they needed water. Thailand is not Bolinas in Marin County, CA and you do not have to give up your first or 2nd born male child to get a water meter, even when you are a distance from the main road which has village or municipal water lines. Same whole deal holds for grey water sewer connection. How far from the existing municipal "sewer' and you can connect as long as the work is done by the approved contractors. At our home we had a private licensed contractor do the sewer, a different licensed electrical contractor do the electrical lines and we had the municipal water department do the water lines. It will not be a 20K headache for water or sewer. it could be a 10K expense for 3 phase power and a transformer and 6 power poles. The water and sewer prices are VERY fair and modest. They are "Thai prices" even if the actual service is in a Farang name.

Roughly, about 2000b per block up to 8 blocks.

Emmm, my experience is 6 months plus or a 20,000 Baht bribe for 1 month for Thais in a Thai area. Connecting water and stuff is not a big issue in reality.

Out of curiosity, and just that, curiosity.

Are there wifes of farang out there in the business of sub dividing larger blocks into smaller blocks and selling them off for profit? and if so, how well do they do?

Edited by damo