Thailand Gives Ex-PM Thaksin Passport Back: Govt

webfact

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now another new article there in Breaking News with Democrats calling on the government to comply with the Office of Ombudsman's findings and revoke Thaksin's passport.

Oh dear.

Will it be heeded do you think ??

what will we all do ??

• Like 1

And now another new article there in Breaking News with Democrats calling on the government to comply with the Office of Ombudsman's findings and revoke Thaksin's passport.

What? The only succeessful achievement of this "government" should be revoked? What is left then?

• Like 2

The Ombudsman Office has determined that the Foreign Ministry is guilty of breaking its very own Foreign Ministry regulations for giving a passport to Thaksin.

They have advised the Foreign Ministry to revoke Thaksin's passport within the next 30 days and to comply with passport regulations in the future.

If the ministry does comply with their recommendation, their report will be forwarded to Parliament.

The Office of the Ombudsman pointed out the Foreign Ministry should have rejected Thaksin's request for a passport as he is on the list of people prohibited from leaving the country.

We all know the ministry won't even consider revokings Thaksin's passport and the case goes to Parliament.So? Edited by jbrain

You ask why a thread has been marked hot because "it has been dead for six months"... and then three months after that you reply to a statement made at the time of your question? bah.gif

If you and phiphidon don't particularly care for updated news on Thailand News Forum threads, please remember that you are under no obligation to participate in them. wink.png

That's particularly true if your participation in them is only to incite off-topic bickering and overly personal nonsense where posters become the topic instead of the topic being the topic. It detracts from those members that are interested in participating in Thailand News Forum threads without trolling and flaming.

Thanks.

Yes, I replied to a post because I got an email saying that someone had quoted my post. In fact, someone had quoted phiphidon's post that had quoted mine. So after reading phiphidon's post, I decided to reply to it. I hope that is OK with you.

I do care to read the news and updated news comment on it.I hope that is also OK with you.

Some posters do become a subject of the news threads because of their blatant, incessant anti-Thaksin stance. It is not trolling or flaming, it is to remind those posters that their non-stop anti-Thaksin posts are becoming tiresome and that maybe they should ease up a bit and do something else with their lives.

You have a problem with consistency? Should we all become morally malleable because our views don't coincide with yours?

Not at all! Buchholz is incredibly consistent. Predictable, in fact.

The Ombudsman Office has determined that the Foreign Ministry is guilty of breaking its very own Foreign Ministry regulations for giving a passport to Thaksin.

They have advised the Foreign Ministry to revoke Thaksin's passport within the next 30 days and to comply with passport regulations in the future.

If the ministry does comply with their recommendation, their report will be forwarded to Parliament.

The Office of the Ombudsman pointed out the Foreign Ministry should have rejected Thaksin's request for a passport as he is on the list of people prohibited from leaving the country.

We all know the ministry won't even consider revokings Thaksin's passport and the case goes to Parliament.So?

So then, we get further erosion of the checks and balances.

It's a hopeful sign that the Ombudsman Office stepped up to publicly recognize that the Foreign Minister broke the rules.

It's additionally hopeful that they have issued a short timeline for his ministry to correct his honest mistake to issue and deliver a passport to a convicted fugitive the day after he asked for it.

It is just the sort of checks and balances needed to maintain democracy and one that has been besieged by all four versions of Thaksin's rule.

You ask why a thread has been marked hot because "it has been dead for six months"... and then three months after that you reply to a statement made at the time of your question? bah.gif

If you and phiphidon don't particularly care for updated news on Thailand News Forum threads, please remember that you are under no obligation to participate in them. wink.png

That's particularly true if your participation in them is only to incite off-topic bickering and overly personal nonsense where posters become the topic instead of the topic being the topic. It detracts from those members that are interested in participating in Thailand News Forum threads without trolling and flaming.

Thanks.

Yes, I replied to a post because I got an email saying that someone had quoted my post. In fact, someone had quoted phiphidon's post that had quoted mine. So after reading phiphidon's post, I decided to reply to it. I hope that is OK with you.

I do care to read the news and updated news comment on it.I hope that is also OK with you.

There's very OK with me.

To that end, perhaps you and others shouldn't berate those that do provide the updates and respond to the actual news update instead of personal baiting posts regarding posters.

You are, of course, quite right and I will try hard in future to respond to the news. It's not easy... but I will try!

We all know the ministry won't even consider revokings Thaksin's passport and the case goes to Parliament.So?

It's a hopeful sign that the Ombudsman Office stepped up to publicly recognize that the Foreign Minister broke the rules.

It's additionally hopeful that they have issued a short timeline for his ministry to correct his honest mistake to issue and deliver a passport to a convicted fugitive the day after he asked for it.

It is just the sort of checks and balances needed to maintain democracy and one that has been besieged by all four versions of Thaksin's rule.

I understand that there is a spelling mistake in your post # 231 and it should read if the ministry DOESN"T comply with their recommendation,the report will be forwarded to Parliament.

The intention of my question was actually, what do they think to achieve in Parliament. You think Parliament will give a negative advise?

I understand that there is a spelling mistake in your post # 231 and it should read if the ministry DOESN"T comply with their recommendation,the report will be forwarded to Parliament.

The intention of my question was actually, what do they think to achieve in Parliament. You think Parliament will give a negative advise?

With the "Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai acts" MPs having a 265 out of 500 majority, it seems somewhat unlikely. Very democratic of course. Some of our foreign members really know how to appreciate this type of democratic functioning as back home it works the same blink.png

• Like 1

Given there are several factions in Pheau Thai that consider they are above the law, should be above the law, and / or want the constitution changed to their advantage only to be above the law then the Ombudsman recommendation will be poo pooed. Probably look for the next round of political appointments to include the Chief Ombudsman new appointment being a past or present colleague of the Shinwatra clan or family member to do away with yet another check and balance for a 'yes oh Dubai paymaster'.

Edit to add: it will be interesting to see the outcome of this. Very interesting.

Edited by Roadman
  • Like 1

Yes, you are right about Post # 231. My mistake. I neglected to add a "not" to it.

I seriously doubt that the PTP-controlled Parliament is going to vote against not only its own Foreign Minister, but the Party Financier, as well.

And thus, the checks and balances erode further.

Yesterday, Foreign Minister and Thaksin's cousin dismissed the Democrat's contention to revoke the passport.

He claims the passport was issued within the Foreign Ministry's guidelines.

Surapong said he had seen the Ombudsman Office's report and has asked the Foreign Ministry Permanent Secretary to take care of it, but didn't think the ruling would be a problem.

He justified the passport issuance by citing Regulation 23(7)and saying that he did not think Thaksin had caused any damage to Thailand.

Additionally, Thaksin's lawyer Noppadon Pattama also defended the choice to issue a passport saying that it was an act of justice. He also pushed the Ombudsman's Office to be prudent when it investigates Thaksin's situation so that it would not be a political tool.

Oh dear.

Will it be heeded do you think ??

what will we all do ??

I think I'll just go open a bottle of wine tonight.

Democrats urge PM to take Ombudsman's advice on Thaksin passport

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has been urged to show leadership by acting on the Office of the Ombudsman's recommendation to revoke fugitive ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's passport.

Democrat party-list MP Ongart Klampaiboon, speaking as shadow foreign minister, said the Foreign Ministry had 30 days to counter the Ombudsman's recommendation that the ministry review its decision to grant Thaksin a new passport.

"The PM should demonstrate leadership by accepting the Ombudsman's recommendation, thereby proving wrong those critics who say the government wants to sabotage independent agencies and push for the issuance of a new passport for her brother [Thaksin],'' Ongart said.

Ongart said Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul should hold himself above the problem and let Foreign Ministry officials handle the matter.

The Ombudsman's letter of recommendation to the Foreign Ministry stated that Thaksin sought a new passport on October 25, 2011 at the Royal Thai embassy in the United Arab Emirates' Abu Dhabi after the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders convicted him on corruption charges and sentenced him to two years in prison. The former PM was banned from leaving the country in 2008.

The Foreign Ministry's Department of Consular Affairs met and decided that according to ministerial regulation number 21, the department could exercise its judgement in regard to Thaksin's request.

The department also cited a policy issued by the Foreign Ministry that Thaksin should be given a new passport because his living abroad had not caused any damage to the country or foreign countries. The minister also cancelled the policy in regard to Thaksin's passport issued by the Abhisit government.

The Department of Consular Affairs issued a new passport, number U957441, on November 4 last year and sent it to Thaksin via the Thai embassy in Abu Dhabi.

The Ombudsman's letter stated that the Supreme Court had issued four arrest warrants for Thaksin since September 2008 and that he was on the Foreign Ministry's list of people banned from leaving the country. The fact that Thaksin had been sentenced to two years in jail was a significant factor depriving him of the right to have a passport according to ministerial directive number 21.

The agency said it believed the Foreign Ministry 's decision to grant a new passport to Thaksin contravened ministerial regulations and suggested that it review the decision and check with relevant agencies on Thaksin's records and status in regard to court cases.

Surapong said he would have the Foreign Ministry permanent secretary and the Foreign Ministry respond to the Ombudsman's suggestion. He insisted the decision to grant Thaksin a new passport was in line with regulations.

The Nation - Sept. 16, 2012

Edited by Buchholz

I'm appalled, I thought it had taken only two days because of flooded offices. Now I learn it's like apply Oct 25th, issued Nov 4th, delivered ???

Sorry, but the MoFA is no longer on top of my list of ministries to have achieved well.

I guess if he is on the list of peope banned from leaving the country it would be rather a serious breach to let him have a passport.....he might use it to leave......

If he ever comes back......

As I wrote before in this topic k. Thaksin got his passport back upon promising to immediately returning from the Bejing Olympic Games. Bail condition. He didn't return, so jumped bail. After his passport was cancelled.

Do you ever read even try to read previous posts here? If yes, try to remember, if no, please do wai.gif

I will never understand the obsession of TV Forum members with that man.

What is so special about him?

Nothing really. Just seems to consider Thailand his personal fief and all who disagree fools to be eradicated. It would be nice if one could say 'a left over of the 20th century', but unfortunately that's not the case. Still a few like him around, mis-understood billionairs who have the good of their people in mindblink.png

I think the PM Yingluck is very attractive.

At last! An intelligent statement about Thai politics.

I have a different opinion, as I prefer natural people, but I do respect your political analysis.

The political analyses of most of the other posters, euh.... I will say no more, I do not want to be banned.

• Like 1

Nothing really. Just seems to consider Thailand his personal fief and all who disagree fools to be eradicated. It would be nice if one could say 'a left over of the 20th century', but unfortunately that's not the case. Still a few like him around, mis-understood billionairs who have the good of their people in mindblink.png

I agree.

You prefer Suthep?

I guess if he is on the list of peope banned from leaving the country it would be rather a serious breach to let him have a passport.....he might use it to leave......

As I wrote before in this topic k. Thaksin got his passport back upon promising to immediately returning from the Bejing Olympic Games. Bail condition. He didn't return, so jumped bail. After his passport was cancelled.

Do you ever read even try to read previous posts here? If yes, try to remember, if no, please do wai.gif

Don't be so harsh Rubl......he's just taken the longway round......no need to cancel his passport, pass the amnesty bill and he'll be back.....no issues

I agree.

You prefer Suthep?

I'm afraid I really have to think hard to come up with a friendly thing to say about k. Suthep. Luckily the topic is "Thailand gives ex-pm Thaksin passport back" wink.png

If Thaksin dropped dead tomorrow the democrats would have no manifesto......other than try to convince the electorate that their last attempt to run the country was in some small way successful. Yingluck would emerge more powerful and the Dems would be consigned to a place in opposition for the forseeable future.........

Thaksin is therefore closely monitored for any comment or action that can be seen to benefit the cause of the Democrats..........in short he's all they've got .

• Like 1

Don't be so harsh Rubl......he's just taken the longway round......no need to cancel his passport, pass the amnesty bill and he'll be back.....no issues

Reconciliation the Thaksin way. Mind you I assume you have your own tongue firmly in your own cheeksmile.png

I agree.

You prefer Suthep?

I'm afraid I really have to think hard to come up with a friendly thing to say about k. Suthep. Luckily the topic is "Thailand gives ex-pm Thaksin passport back" wink.png

If they are all the same, why would one crook have a passport, and the other crook not?

I agree.

You prefer Suthep?

If they are all the same, why would one crook have a passport, and the other crook not?

These two persons are not the same. k. Thaksin is a convict, a criminal on the run, k. Suthep is not. What I may or may not think of any of these two has nothing to do with it. It's a legal matter. So k. Suthep is not under any restriction, nor seem to need to be put under, whereas k. Thaksin is a bail jumper who broke his assurance to return immediately after the Games.

Any other 'simple' questions somewhat related to the topic you can think of ?