A Puzzling Problem

bendejo

A strange thing happened to my system.

Running Win7 Ultimate. Suddenly whenever I tried to load a web page I got a message about server was reset (from Firefox). Figured it was the landlord and the flaky wifi router. After a day, I booted up in Linux (it's a dual-boot laptop) and the net access was ok. I figured maybe they reset the router, went back to Windows and the problem is still there. Tried several browsers. I noticed my torrent program was able to transfer. <deleted>? Turned off firewall, same same.

A few hours of sleuthing and experimenting and I found the culprit – Avast web shield. Turn it off, the browser works fine. I removed Avast, then re-installed, and all is well.

This has been a public service announcement, should someone out there develop the same problem.

Here is another (different) problem.

All of a sudden my PC has developed a following glitch:

a) when I want to delete a spam the little window asking me "are you sure" is jumping around like a flee.

I still manage, but it is very annoying.

B) in my Messenger when trying to 'phone out' the little box for typing the phone out number when clicked on

clears only partially. The result is - I cannot phone out as the number does not get typed in.

I'm not a computer wiz, rather a 'computer bum'. All other functions are OK.

Did I catch a virus? a worm? My programs and Op System (Windows 7 Home Premium)were loaded by the guy I bought a computer from. But it worked OK so far. What is happening? Thanks for help in advance. :(

a) when I want to delete a spam the little window asking me "are you sure" is jumping around like a flee.

B) in my Messenger when trying to 'phone out' the little box for typing the phone out number when clicked on

clears only partially. The result is - I cannot phone out as the number does not get typed in.

Did I catch a virus? a worm? My programs and Op System (Windows 7 Home Premium)were loaded by the guy I bought a computer from. But it worked OK so far. What is happening? Thanks for help in advance. :(

Have you run a full virus scan on your computer? Sounds very much like you do have a virus.

If you do not have anti virus get one. AVG free, or Avast amongst others are easy enough to download.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download (AVG free).

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download (Avast free)

Have you run a full virus scan on your computer? Sounds very much like you do have a virus.

If you do not have anti virus get one. AVG free, or Avast amongst others are easy enough to download.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download (AVG free).

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download (Avast free)

Thanks p-dingo. I am thinking about ESET. Currently I have a free download of Avira, but I think it's not up to scratch. What do you think? A friend of mine recommends highly ESET.