Bangkok Airways Suspends Samui's Flights

george

"Aside, we will immediately resume the flights as soon as we are sure that the visibility improves to a level that passenger safety is guaranteed," he said.

--The Nation 2005-11-25

Hmm, just a thought, can airplanes these days land with zero visibility, I thought that the landing procedure was all done on auto pilot?

Yeah, on big modern airports. Samui Airport is really cute and pretty but facilities-wise little more than a concrete strip. You won't see an A-380 landing there any time soon either :o

I love that George Best quote, too :D

Can anyone tell me where i can find online/ stream satelite-images about the wheater in  the S-A area, e.g Thailand

Thanx all

YES I CAN:

GO TO: www.earthgoogle.com

You'll see all you want

francoise

I am sure you mean Google Earth (which is not at earthgoogle.com).

However, farangnoi meant streaming satellite images, e.g. sort of a live cam. Google Earth provides static images and as far as I know no weather overlays yet.

I really wonder: How is it that there are no live satellite cams out there [*]? Can't be that hard to do. The only things I know of are static satellite images that are hours old.

[* hmm... couldn't be because of the military right :o ]

Did I not read, somewhere, a while ago...that those ATRs they use are pretty safe but dodgy in very wet weather...were there not some rain induced crashes in the US?

The incident you're referring to has to do with de-icing of the aircraft; there were some problems with ATR's flying through icing conditions, by ice accumulating on the wings. ATR and airlines have changed procedures accordingly.

Bangkok Airways shouldn't be bothered too much by icing conditions here in Thailand though...

On a sidenote, I think the ATR 72-500 offers the best passenger comfort among turboprop aircraft.

Yep ! can do ! but <deleted> difficult with 500mm of water unless you are flying a float plane.  :D

Now that's an idea... start an airline here with flying boats. You could reach destinations such as Phuket, Phi Phi, Samui, Pattaya, Ko Samet and Ko Chang. :o

They have the first floatplane in Samui .Cessna Caravan. Hear its just waiting for the usual endless paperwork to start operations. TIT........

I've been on Lamai beach on Samui for the past week. A bridge washed out yesterday evening, along with several power poles. I figured that was it for power for several days.

But, nope, they just took down the power cables, layed them on the road, fixed whatever caused the problem, and had the power back on in 4 hours. This is, mind you, with power cables on the ground for about 40 meters, crossing the road, and lots of cars and people are going across it. Just a little bit scary, especially if they are high voltage cables. Truly a TIT moment.

Lots of damage and flooding. It's astonishing how much water dumped down in 30 hours.

Hi everybody,

i am in europe right now and it is hard to obtain any substantial information about the situation on the islands. i was planning to go to samui and phangan but i'm not sure if it makes sense.

is the ferry between big buddha and haad rin running ?

what's the expectation for the weather the next days ?

any "live" information from phangan ?

thanx all for the info, and the tip about Ubon (near Srisaket)

live images can be done, but probably military only.

for the dutchies overthere, the wheater in Holland is bad as ever, yesterday the traffic-jam was about 900 km, powerfailures all over the country specialy

the east an south. heavy snowfall, and cold

I'm cold the wife is cold

We wanna go home.

:o:D

Update:

Samui now awash in garbage

KOH SAMUI: -- Refuse has become a major problem on Koh Samui following the recent flooding.

Seni Bhuwasetthavorn, deputy chair of the Tourism Association of Koh Samui said that after being hit by heavy downpours last week, the island was facing environmental problems. He added that the landscape was being blighted by an excessive amount of refuse, which is littering both the beaches and the sea.

The flooding swept a huge amount of refuse into the sea and the tide has swept it back up to the beaches, ruining Koh Samui's famously beautiful landscape, he said.

However, Pramote Sabyen, director of the Tourist Authority of Thailand Southern Office -Region 5, said that he believed that the landscape would be quickly be restored to its former state as local people are well aware that the majority of their income is generated by tourism.

But Seni said that the problem locals faced when clearing the refuse is that incinerators for certain types of waste do not exist on the island.

He added that after the floods, villagers and traders on the island had pulled together to clean up the beaches, but there were no incinerators to burn the waste.

While Chaweng Beach on Koh Samui's east coast is still under between 50 and 80 centimetres of water, Seni said tourists were continuing to visit the island with no reports of any cancellations.

Warakorn Ratanaraksa, the mayor of the Koh Samui District Municipality said that Samui had sustained around Bt300 million in damages due to the flooding.

Other provinces hit by the persistent heavy rain and flash-floods include Pattani, Phatthalung, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Songkhla and Prachuap Khiri Khan and Chumphon.

--Tne Nation 2005-11-27

I'm heading to Samui this coming Thursday, I hope the weather improves.  Chaweng to be specific, Chaweng Cove Resotel. I've heard good and bad, goes with the independant traveler.  How is the island, any major problems after the rain?

Monday morning and the sun is shining. Yesterday was pretty good too although we did have a shower in the evening. The main road in Chaweng is pretty much OK now, still some water by the PTT station, but not much. The Lake Road is passable again as is the Beach Road. Yesterday Lam Din was a nightmare still and you could not turn right off the Beach Road, but could get through via Reggae Street. Things seem to be getting back to normal fairly quickly, butg it may take a few days for all the water to go. However - the forecast is for another couple of days of heavy rain Tuesday through Thursday so we will have to see.

The Beach Road photo was taken on Saturday morning when the water was waist deep. I drove down there yesterday without too much trouble but was very sorry for the shop keepers all trying to get their stock dried out.

One of the big problems has been the run off of water from the hills which has been washing down onto the beaches and undermining the roads. The photo was taken on the Big Buddha Beach road west of Bangrak.

post-24425-1133150078_thumb.jpg

post-24425-1133150506_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Yep ! can do ! but <deleted> difficult with 500mm of water unless you are flying a float plane.  :D

Now that's an idea... start an airline here with flying boats. You could reach destinations such as Phuket, Phi Phi, Samui, Pattaya, Ko Samet and Ko Chang. :D

They have the first floatplane in Samui .Cessna Caravan. Hear its just waiting for the usual endless paperwork to start operations. TIT........

:o

"Aside, we will immediately resume the flights as soon as we are sure that the visibility improves to a level that passenger safety is guaranteed," he said.

--The Nation 2005-11-25

Hmm, just a thought, can airplanes these days land with zero visibility, I thought that the landing procedure was all done on auto pilot?

are you kidding ? after all the crashes in LOS!

one went down at surat thani after trying to land in heavy rain before.

final landing is on manual with good vis .