Something I’Ve Always Wanted To Know?

Beetlejuice

Regarding the ordinary no thrills older buses in Bangkok, some are painted in red and cream livery and others in blue and cream livery.

Both types are similar model buses and are of the same standard class of transport. Yet some are blue and some are red. This is something that has puzzled me for years.

Looked online but have not been successful in finding the answer.

My question is: why are some red and others blue?

post-110219-0-78938000-1324069816_thumb.

post-110219-0-69438000-1324069827_thumb.

The red ones are owned by the BMTA, the blue ones are privately owned but are contracted by the BMTA for route service. I would assume that the private ones in addition to collecting fares also get some subsidy money (render) from the BMTA for operating the route otherwise I doubt that they would make a profit with the cost of diesel these days

Once again Beetlejuice, your honest search for only the truth makes my day a bit brighter. I reckon more TV forumites need to take a leaf from your book and focus on the more important aspects of life in LOS.

That`s me.

Seeking truth and wisdom wherever I may go.

The red ones are owned by the BMTA, the blue ones are privately owned but are contracted by the BMTA for route service. I would assume that the private ones in addition to collecting fares also get some subsidy money (render) from the BMTA for operating the route otherwise I doubt that they would make a profit with the cost of diesel these days

Thanks for this.

Sounds logical. So now we know.

:thumbsup:

So, could one assume that the red ones would be a safer ride than the blue ones?

Thanks for this.

Sounds logical. So now we know.

:thumbsup:

Some of the red ones are free, the number 60 for example.

The owners name is written on the side of the bus.

The free ones are the red ones with the blue banner at the top of the windscreen, like in the OP's right photo. It says รถเมล์ฟรี จากภาษีประชาชน "Free Bus, paid for by the people's taxes"

Edited by mike_l