Best Somtam In Town ?

cornishcarlos

Well so much for no names resturants , I have one which I will do my best to explain the location. Its right on the Ping River and is very small . Its is on the left if you are traveling the road the follows the river from the city . On the same side of the river the moat is on. Just prior to reaching the road that runs east and west from Central airport plaza . The road forks left and right . Just as it forks it is on the left side of the road. There is a bar on the left and the resturant is on the right . We have been there several times and the food is outstanding and the prices are fair for what you get . When ever we have guests thats where we take them .

If traveling north along the west side of the moat, there's a 7/11 just before the soi that goes down to the back end parking lots of Kaad Suan Kaew. Just before that 7/11 is a fantastic Chicken and Som Tam restaurant with whole chickens at 120B, half at 60B and excellent cheap Som Tam. Is very popular. Don't much notice all the traffic driving past as its all well covered with trees.

If traveling north along the west side of the moat, there's a 7/11 just before the soi that goes down to the back end parking lots of Kaad Suan Kaew. Just before that 7/11 is a fantastic Chicken and Som Tam restaurant with whole chickens at 120B, half at 60B and excellent cheap Som Tam. Is very popular. Don't much notice all the traffic driving past as its all well covered with trees.

That is calld Gai yang ruam jai. They are ok, but the gai yang doexn't have wings I like the whole bird, The somtam though good is tiny portions. My favorite thing there is the tomyum goong, it is kind of creamy with large prawns, If you turn into the small soi just past the 7-11 (behind Kad suan geaw) there is a gai ping and somtam place on the left that make larger portions of somtam, I like to direct the process, ...none of that, more of that... so that it is made exactly how I want it, this is common here and some people (me included) are very particular about how our somtam is made.

The best though is called Ubon (either gai yang or somtam) somewhere in the santitam (?) area of town. there was a thread and map to the place a while back. Great cheap food, clean and very nice atmosphere, very popular with students (eye candy).

just searched that but no luck. I live in Santitam and would like to know more. Place I go to for som tam is on the main road away from the corner of the moat on the right side opposite 7/11. Everything is written in Thai there though so maybe it's the same place!

Slow times on TV....comparing somtam stands.

There used to be a lady that sold som tam near the old N. llusion - quite a crowd of Thai's stopped there.

Still waiting for the best mobile sun dried plaa muak bike/stand, complete with honker. wink.gif

Been here 4 years, hard to find a spicy one. They have to add the red chile pepper or its just mediocre.

Best I have had is at the Tiger Kingdom buffet. The old girl there will remake it for you if it isnt hot enough. The thing is, if you add 20 green peppers its not the same as 2 big spons of red dried. Give up on the green, once you live here its the same as eating peas. Use dry red, or better go for imported hotter chilly.

Iain

There's a place I think called Udon Somtom. It's not on a major street I believe Watay was the street name. Many kinds of Somtom and chicken legs. very crowded. Heavy wood furniture made outta roots and odd pieces. somewhere behind the Tesco Lotus. Pretty tasty I don't recall it being cheap, but we ate a lot

Well so much for no names resturants , I have one which I will do my best to explain the location. Its right on the Ping River and is very small . Its is on the left if you are traveling the road the follows the river from the city . On the same side of the river the moat is on. Just prior to reaching the road that runs east and west from Central airport plaza . The road forks left and right . Just as it forks it is on the left side of the road. There is a bar on the left and the resturant is on the right . We have been there several times and the food is outstanding and the prices are fair for what you get . When ever we have guests thats where we take them .

that is a reall brain teaser...

i read it now several times but not sure-would it be where changklan road hits mahidol-superhighway or is he talking about the road that comes from the bridge at the holiday inn?

i read it now several times but not sure-would it be where changklan road hits mahidol-superhighway or is he talking about the road that comes from the bridge at the holiday inn?

Im intrigued too. Maybe just by Sacred Heart school ?

It would be the other side of the river from the sacred heart school. The Changklan road runs parallel to the river. Just keep following it south from town until you hit a big and obvious fork in the road. that's where the restaurant is located. exactly where I'm not sure because the directions kind of broke down at that point and I haven't yet bothered to investigate. if you plug the following location into maps.google.com it should get you very close to where that restaurant is. <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">18.761244, 98.997720