Thaksin Not Using Thai Passport: Noppadon Pattama

webfact

Thaksin not using Thai passport, adviser says

The Nation

Noppadon Pattama, a legal adviser to Thaksin Shinawatra, yesterday dismissed an accusation that the fugitive former prime minister used a Thai passport to travel to foreign countries.

Saying Thaksin had been using his Montenegrin passport, Noppadon accused the opposition Democrat Party of discriminating against Thaksin when it was in power by cancelling his Thai passport. He said the former government had not cancelled passports of people sentenced to harsher penalties, such as Somchai Khunplume ('Kamnan Poh') and Vatana Asavahame.

The Democrat-led government disseminated false information that Thaksin was on Interpol's red list and lied when it said that Thaksin was on a Foreign Ministry blacklist, Noppadon claimed.

He claimed the Democrat-led government had spent almost two years trying to hunt Thaksin down, but failed because foreign countries knew that the drive to arrest Thaksin was politically motivated. Many countries had granted passports to Thaksin, he said. Noppadon said the fact Thaksin had received his Thai passport did not cause any damage to the country. "The Democrats are making a lot of noise because they cannot stand seeing justice handed to Thaksin,'' he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-19

this is ridiculous, what possible difference does it make. Whether he is using it or not, it was given to him. After misleading the public about planning to give him his passport after he had already given it to him, the government now wants to take the heat off by dismissing it's importance. These guys are the worst, incompetent and dishonest.

this is ridiculous, what possible difference does it make. Whether he is using it or not, it was given to him. After misleading the public about planning to give him his passport after he had already given it to him, the government now wants to take the heat off by dismissing it's importance. These guys are the worst, incompetent and dishonest.

incompetent and dishonest

Those are their good points.

Noppadon

should maybe see if Thailand has a mental health service.

:whistling:

If you came home early from work and found your wife in bed with your nieghbor; and both were naked, would you believe him saying that "nothing happened" because he didn't use his d--k.

In the same way...I don't believe Thaksin or his paid lackey either.

In either case, I would figure someone's had just been f---ed.

Please Noppadon, don't insult my intelligence.

:D

If Thai people really want reconciliation, then tell Mr. T to giveup his Thai citizenship and then Passport is no more an issue

Good post, 100% agreed.

Good post, 100% agreed.

Remeber, it wasnt just the current government that lied... All parties did....

- The Democrat goverment (when they were in power) lied about revoking Taksins passport and putting him on an international wanted list...

- The current government lied about the timeline for granting Taksin his passport back (they claimed in early Dec. that Taksin would recieve a new passport within a couple of weeks when the truth was that it had been issued sometime in October.)

- The Democrat opposition (I forget which politician) then lied when they claimed that, in the midst of the flood crisis some civil servants sneaked into a buillding to issue a passport for Taksin... Maybe they already knew that the passport had been issued and, to be able to discredit the govt, they needed to make up some convincing sounding story as to when and how ????

"These guys are the worst, incompetent and dishonest."

They seem no more incompetent dishonest than the politiicans that preceeded them...

And the current string of lies, more lies and cover ups... I guess they could be seen as a sign of incompetence... But could just as easily be seen as the opposite, that the current govt are very skilled at making the Democrats and anyone who opposes their actions look stupider and stupider...

Many countries had granted passports to Thaksin

But arent Thai,s only supposed to hold a Thai passport?

No, many Thais have dual nationality - both my kids have both Thai and US passports, fully acknowledged with the paper pushers on both sides when applying and at border crossings.

There would only be a problem in the event the two countries went to war with each other - not too likely in the case of either pairings 8-)

Many countries had granted passports to Thaksin

But arent Thai,s only supposed to hold a Thai passport?

No, many Thais have dual nationality - both my kids have both Thai and US passports, fully acknowledged with the paper pushers on both sides when applying and at border crossings.

But Thaksin is not a kid....don't things change when you get to 18? Sorry I seem to remember all this being discussed before on another topic but can't remember the outcome...

"Noppadon accused the opposition Democrat Party of discriminating against Thaksin when it was in power by cancelling his Thai passport. He said the former government had not cancelled passports of people sentenced to harsher penalties, such as Somchai Khunplume ('Kamnan Poh') and Vatana Asavahame.

The Democrat-led government disseminated false information that Thaksin was on Interpol's red list and lied when it said that Thaksin was on a Foreign Ministry blacklist, Noppadon claimed."

So some people are dismissing Noppadons claims - lets look further into this: First the claim about not cancelling passports of people sentenced to harsher penalties.

Somchai Khunpleum

SENTENCED. SOMCHAI KHUNPLEUM, also known as Kamnan Poh, reputedly Thailand's most powerful crime boss; to 25 years in prison for ordering the murder of a rival; in Bangkok. A former mayor who was courted by politicians and feared by criminals and cops alike, Somchai was long thought to be beyond the reach of the law. "I used to have rivals," he once told an interviewer, "but they all died." Freed on $250,000 bail, Somchai plans to appeal the decision in the Supreme Court.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,658378,00.html#ixzz1gxGsGfLf

I can't find out whether his passport has been cancelled or not but suffice to say he is still on the run.

Vatana Asavahame

I have blogged previously on the Vatana Klong Dan case, but today the Supreme Court has sentenced him to 10 years* for breach of Section 148 of the Criminal Code in the Klong Dan corruption case. The Deputy Chief of Police says they are certain that Vatana is in Cambodia and that they are considering whether the case falls within the Thai-Cambodia extradition treaty.

BP: I will be waiting for newspaper op-eds demanding the Foreign Ministry cancel his passport and the PAD to start protesting outside the Cambodia Embassy….

http://asiancorrespo...0-years-update/

Thaksin - sentenced to 2 years imprisonment in absentia for conflict of interest - Not quite in the same league as the above two examples - passport revoked.

Thaksin on Interpols Red List?

Interpol never issues red notice against Thaksin

BANGKOK, 16 August 2011 (NNT) – The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has confirmed that Interpol, the International Criminal Police Commission, has never issued any arrest warrant or red notice against ex-Prime Minister Police Lieutenant Colonel Thaksin Shinawatra.

http://thainews.prd....id=255408160002

That'll be a No, then, despite Kasit and co's assurances they were tracking Thaksin and would arrest him as soon as possible and then demand that the PTP do the same................

I think that most people are really reading too much in to this issue. Forget about who/when the passport was revoked (if it was actually revoked), Or who said what regarding the black list/red list, etc.

There are a couple of main points that people should realized.

1. What nationality is Mr.T. If he is able to get passport from many countries? On that note, isn't a passport suppose to represent one's nationality and that country's permission for you to travel?

2. How can someone running from the law, ignoring all the other facts, legally obtain a passport? Or has he already been pardoned and is keeping quiet :whistling:

3. Why would the ministry lie about the date of issue? or rather the 'best new year present' fiasco? and the guy involve claim totally ingorance of the whole deal.

This looks like there's "a failure to communicate" somewhere. This gov't is just seems to keep stepping in s@#t without it being planted. Honestly I can't remember any gov't that keep shooting themselves as often as this one.

Where's the PM (or Chalerm) in all this, she's/he's been remarkably quiet.

A Montenegran passport is far better than a Thai onelaugh.gif

I think that would depend on whether you're Montenagran or Thai. Are you either? I bet if you asked 1 million Thais which they would sooner be 999,999 would say Thai and 1 would say Montenegran and his name might be Thaksin..

The sooner they make it an offence to aid and abet a criminal the better.

Are you suggesting it isn't.....do you have any evidence to support that. Sorry but I've always thought that such a law would have existed. But now you make me wonder......

A Montenegran passport is far better than a Thai onelaugh.gif

I think that would depend on whether you're Montenagran or Thai. Are you either? I bet if you asked 1 million Thais which they would sooner be 999,999 would say Thai and 1 would say Montenegran and his name might be Thaksin..

It would also depend on whether you were doing a lot of travelling.

For travel, as I mentioned earlier, a Montenegrin passport is the better choice. https://www.henleyglobal.com/citizenship/visa-restrictions/

I'd disagree with your statistics too. There's queues of lower class Thais wanting to leave their country for a chance at a better life elsewhere. I reckon the number would be far higher than the Thais would like to admit.

A Montenegran passport is far better than a Thai one, this whole business is just a setup to get the Dems agitated, and they fell for itlaugh.gif

Funny they should do that on one hand and then talk about reconciliation on the other. That some people cheer at hypocrisy and dishonesty is also funny.

Typical of noppadan, makes press statements about insignificant points ('but he's not actually using it')and ignores the real thrust, the laws, the morals etc., of the situation.

It's typically Thai, to be fair.

True or not true:

- Surely one would expect more professional discussion from a man who was assigned the position of foreign minister.

- Surely his paymaster would be expecting him to say something a bit more clever than this.

"Noppadon accused the opposition Democrat Party of discriminating against Thaksin when it was in power by cancelling his Thai passport. He said the former government had not cancelled passports of people sentenced to harsher penalties, such as Somchai Khunplume ('Kamnan Poh') and Vatana Asavahame.

The Democrat-led government disseminated false information that Thaksin was on Interpol's red list and lied when it said that Thaksin was on a Foreign Ministry blacklist, Noppadon claimed."

So some people are dismissing Noppadons claims - lets look further into this: First the claim about not cancelling passports of people sentenced to harsher penalties.

<snip>

That'll be a No, then, despite Kasit and co's assurances they were tracking Thaksin and would arrest him as soon as possible and then demand that the PTP do the same................

One of the reasons given for cancelling Thaksin's passport was because he was causing trouble. The two others that have been mentioned haven't been heard from.