Don Mueang Airport To Reopen Apr 1 After Flood: AoT

webfact

Don Mueang Airport reopen Apr 1 after flood: AoT

image_201112191022585457F7EC-9102-77FC-15BB2A667BC95D0F.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 19 - Don Mueang Airport is to reopen on Apr 1 after the flood crisis but whether airlines will resume services there depends on their company decisions.

Flying Officer Anirut Thanomkulbutra, Airports of Thailand (AoT) president, spoke Monday of the airport's rehabilitation after it had been hit by flooding for almost two months.

Two airlines, Nok Air and Orient Thai, operated commercially at Don Mueang before the flood crisis. Both carriers are temporarily running their service from Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The president said the surface of both the eastern and the western runways have not been damaged and are still strong, as verified by the Department of Highways.

AoT will repair the infrastructure at the airport, at an estimated cost of Bt20 million for repairs and maintenance.

A new problem at Don Mueang is the great number of birds now living in the vicinity of the airport, causing a possible danger to aviation.

Fish, as the birds' source of food, arrived with the floodwaters during the flood.

The Airports of Thailand are searching for technology, used internationally by other airports, to chase off birds, Flying Officer Anirut said. Such an obstacle once occurred at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

AoT on Monday held a Big Cleaning Day event at its headquarters in Don Mueang district after the area had been under water for about six weeks. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-12-19

Early April Fools day!!!!!!!

The Department of Highways certified that there was no damage to the runways, well did they not certify the runways at Swampy, just before the cracks started to appear!!!

So less damage than earlier estimates, is that because some powers that be are keeping an eye on attempted corruption, so some contracts ear marked for big backhanders have been scared off????

Talking about an abundance of birds in the area, easy send the rural 15-to-25 age group in in 1 month there will be no birds, you see its all done with catapults.

In issan wildlife is scraping to survive, all reptiles large and small are eaten, birds and snakes very tasty, rats and dogs eaten daily. The local population sees to that, with parental help, few schools advise. So our remedy of young people would work, if put into operation-it works throughout Thailand.

Just to note, in general how many beautiful coloured birds are seen in Thailand now?????---I just compare with Sri Lanka-equal climatic area, there abundant. But I do agree birds are a big problem in or near airports.

There is one more airline "Solar Air" which was not allowed Suvarnabhumi Airport, because there is not enough place there. That smells like the previous Thaksin strategy to kill the small airlines to have all on Thai Asia at which he is involved.

This is very interesting. Secretary of State Hillery Clinton said that USA had donated 50 million dollars for the clean up and repair of DonMuang air port. The reason it will take so long to complete the job is because of the fighting among the AirForce and the AOT on who will get the money. It was been rummered that interested parties get 1/3 of any project. If this is true than that would be over 16 million dollars.

Tom

As an occasional visitor to the City for weekends (I live in North Thailand} for me the sooner DM Airport re-opens again the better. After exiting the plane one can be clear of the Airport, with collected check-in baggage, in about 5 minutes.

At Suv Airport it takes 3 or 4 times longer just to walk to the exit doors. If you have baggage to collect, double that time. And, of course, travelling time/cost, DM to City centre is about half.

This may not be soon enough for the Amari Airport Hotel. I was there the other day and it is a mystery how they are still in business...Tumbleweed blowing through the lobby.......

Handy that place, overhead walkway -your in. + all the other reasonable priced hotels near-countless,

I have an idea the hotel at Swampy is just a monopoly-and overpriced, god somebody must be getting a good % out of that deal.

Over the road main line trains-sleeper=to the north and N/E, near next door Morchit bus station, and over the river-southern bus station, and your in Bkk-future park future world, it's not just handy there it's vital to most people, The biggest problems are near always coming from AOT-and this NOT so duty free King Power dictatorship shopping.--note much of the duty free goods at Thai airports are more expensive than in the mamas and papa=department stores.

This is very interesting. Secretary of State Hillery Clinton said that USA had donated 50 million dollars for the clean up and repair of DonMuang air port. The reason it will take so long to complete the job is because of the fighting among the AirForce and the AOT on who will get the money. It was been rummered that interested parties get 1/3 of any project. If this is true than that would be over 16 million dollars.

Tom

If it's going to cost 20 million to repair the airport and the US has donated 30 million, in whose house are they going to store the extra 30 million baht?

Edited by wayned

Tom

If it's going to cost 20 million to repair the airport and the US has donated 30 million, in whose house are they going to store the extra 30 million baht?

Sorry, typo. US has donated 50 million.

The Department of Highways certified that there was no damage to the runways, well did they not certify the runways at Swampy, just before the cracks started to appear!!!

So less damage than earlier estimates, is that because some powers that be are keeping an eye on attempted corruption, so some contracts ear marked for big backhanders have been scared off????

Talking about an abundance of birds in the area, easy send the rural 15-to-25 age group in in 1 month there will be no birds, you see its all done with catapults.

In issan wildlife is scraping to survive, all reptiles large and small are eaten, birds and snakes very tasty, rats and dogs eaten daily. The local population sees to that, with parental help, few schools advise. So our remedy of young people would work, if put into operation-it works throughout Thailand.

Just to note, in general how many beautiful coloured birds are seen in Thailand now?????---I just compare with Sri Lanka-equal climatic area, there abundant. But I do agree birds are a big problem in or near airports.

could I please join that group of rural 15-25 year olds and someone get me a catapult to terminate those nasty PIGEONS that sh*t on my balcony every single day...... no, this is not off-topic, we are talking about "NOK", FLYING OBJECTS, aren't we ? {~_~}

An friend runs charter boats to the Andaman Islands, one of which is noted for it's bird life. His Thai staff aren't allowed to enter. They have to stay on board.

By the by, when I see those kids with their catapults they don't hang around too long ...

That smells like the previous Thaksin strategy to kill the small airlines to have all on Thai Asia at which he is involved.

Did he not sell his stake in Thai Air Asia some while ago?

On paper yes. But it could just be sold to a proxy.

Just like AIS.

This may not be soon enough for the Amari Airport Hotel. I was there the other day and it is a mystery how they are still in business...Tumbleweed blowing through the lobby.......

Handy that place, overhead walkway -your in. + all the other reasonable priced hotels near-countless,

I have an idea the hotel at Swampy is just a monopoly-and overpriced, god somebody must be getting a good % out of that deal.

Over the road main line trains-sleeper=to the north and N/E, near next door Morchit bus station, and over the river-southern bus station, and your in Bkk-future park future world, it's not just handy there it's vital to most people, The biggest problems are near always coming from AOT-and this NOT so duty free King Power dictatorship shopping.--note much of the duty free goods at Thai airports are more expensive than in the mamas and papa=department stores.

By the way, the overhead walkway you mention has long been blocked off - probably safer as the structure looks like it is ready to collapse into the street.