American Martial Arts Bar Brawler Junie Browning: 'Not In Phuket'

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having spent a few years in thailand drinking in more then a few bars, it's unfortunate that his story sounds all too believable. He obviously has the physical scars to back it up as well. He did exactly the right thing and got the hell out in order to try and get any sort of fair shake in the matter. With more eyes on the story and it getting world wide attention I am sure all of the truth will eventually get out, but you really can't fake getting stabbed and smashed over the head with bottles. Well hopefully he gave as good as he got and some of those other people have learned a lesson or two about attacking a lone guy they perceived as an easy victim.

Yes, that's pretty much the first sensible thing anyone has said about this topic, apart from myself on another related thread that is now locked, of course':

So much visceral bigotry and keyboard rage on this forum, I often wonder why.

A report about a bar fight, a young man attacked by 10 people who stood his ground and did what any man with a pair of balls would do, fight back.

Good luck to him, I say!

Have none of you ever been picked on by bullies? Have none of you ever stood your ground and fought for your honour?

There is more to this story than meets the eye, and although I'm not saying Mr. Browning's side of the story is the full truth, here's an article on Sie Menzies.

Threat to blow up NT plane

SARAH CRAWFORD | April 24th, 2011

A MAN on a flight to Darwin threatened to "smash" the captain and blow the plane up after cabin crew refused to serve him more booze.

Sydney man Simon Wilson Menzies, 31, was drunk and angry when he told the female cabin crew manager on a flight this week that he could"bring the plane down if he wanted."

Menzies said: "I'm half muslim, half Aboriginal and everyone else is a white a*******. I could f******blow up the plane."

http://www.ntnews.co...371_ntnews.html

Sounds like a likely candidate to want to "test a UFC fighter". :ph34r:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/519036-manhunt-launched-for-american-martial-arts-brawler-junie-browning-phuket/page__st__75

Yes, that's pretty much the first sensible thing anyone has said about this topic, apart from myself on another related thread that is now locked, of course':

A report about a bar fight, a young man attacked by 10 people who stood his ground and did what any man with a pair of balls would do, fight back.

Good luck to him, I say!

Have none of you ever been picked on by bullies? Have none of you ever stood your ground and fought for your honour?

There is more to this story than meets the eye, and although I'm not saying Mr. Browning's side of the story is the full truth, here's an article on Sie Menzies.

A MAN on a flight to Darwin threatened to "smash" the captain and blow the plane up after cabin crew refused to serve him more booze.

Sydney man Simon Wilson Menzies, 31, was drunk and angry when he told the female cabin crew manager on a flight this week that he could"bring the plane down if he wanted."

Menzies said: "I'm half muslim, half Aboriginal and everyone else is a white a*******. I could f******blow up the plane."

http://www.thaivisa....et/page__st__75

Where is the bigotry?

Who says he was attacked by 10 people (he does after realising his facebook post could land him in trouble)

Many people have been picked on by bullies, like him.

I doubt very much that the statement provided is actually his. Far too articulate in comparison to other statements by him about this.

You give far too much credit to a guy that beat 3 nurses and threatened to rape their families, which was the reason he was sacked from UFC.

I find this part being the most credible. Anyone who knows anything about Thais knows that they only fight on the street when they enjoy overwhelming odds to the person being attacked.

Edited by johnsonspot

I find this part being the most credible. Anyone who knows anything about Thais knows that they only fight on the street when they enjoy overwhelming odds to the person being attacked.

Except they weren't Thais. The other main protagonist, according to the Browning, was the bar owner so the idea of him starting the fight seems to be a bit odd though not entirely out of the question - if he had a reputation for starting fights in his own bar I am surprised nobody has come forward to point this out.

Browning, on the other hand, does have a credibility problem with several items about his temper and previous problems already highlighted in this and the other thread. Coupled with his dubious story which not only contradicts the previous facebook post he allegedly made about breaking bones/jaws by claiming nobody at the bar was harmed yet states that at least one of his 'attackers' was in a hospital bed next to him.

I am sure there are two sides to this story - unfortunately the only one we have at the moment is full of holes.

Edited by Orac

Menzies and Browning sound like two 'alpha males' who just had to have it out. How all the other people got involved will probably never be known. I bet everyone who saw it has a different story.

Unlike others, I don't credit the email above as being written by anyone articulate. How come Menzies was being treated in the hospital when Browning states in his email that everyone remained unharmed except him? That's not very logical. How come there so much detail about the minutia yet the most important thing: what led to the fracas in the first place? - is glossed over with a suspicious amount of vaguery? A decent writer would have put something credible in here. Thirdly, as someone else pointed out, why not even a minor admission of some culpability?

Nobody except the deluded would try to pass of an event like this as being that of a total and utter innocent who - despite being a trained martial artist with a history of violence outside the ring - took a beating and got saved by his girlfriend....oh, please!

Whoever penned this fable was not the smartest of story-tellers (and don't even get me started on the obviously fake travel plan intended to lead us all to believe he's out of the country...my money's on him being still holed up in Phuket, waiting for a chance at revenge on Menzies).

Edited by badmedicine

I'm with him on one thing, if you're going to judge him by his past then be consistent.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/04/24/227371_ntnews.html

He then began to sing a song about the plane crashing and everyone dying.

Last week in Darwin Magistrates Court the child counsellor became the first person in Australia to be charged and convicted under new Commonwealth laws relating to threatening and assaulting plane crew members. The amended laws came into effect on March 30.

(just noticed already posted)

Edited by harrycallahan

I'm with him on one thing, if you're going to judge him by his past then be consistent.

Last week in Darwin Magistrates Court the child counsellor became the first person in Australia to be charged and convicted under new Commonwealth laws relating to threatening and assaulting plane crew members. The amended laws came into effect on March 30.

Is he the same person?As I stated in a previous post if he is, it sets a great example for the younger indigenous children he is supposedly representing ..and counselling?Speaks volumns for the Northern Territory Government and Australian Government if this is the type of people

they are employing!!!No wonder the westernised world shake their heads at the abject failure of it all !!

A $400 fine? Ah well.....I suppose boys will be boys.

The Aussies must have a much higher tolerance for that sort of thing. He should have done jail time and feel lucky he wasn't on some other carrier where he might have left the plane toe-tagged..

Yes quite impeccable writing for someone in such distress, and so much detail from somone suffering head trauma.

Beat the hell out of him for absolutely no reason eh? I don't think so.

The guy is a maniac, didn't understand Thai mob mentality and was given a flogging. I also doubt they were wanting reparation payment for nothing. Perhaps if we wait a few more days we'll get the real story.

I agree. This Man like "Potato Plant". Best part hidden underground.

Why does Thailand end up with thugs/gangsters/scumbags who have fled there own country and then come over here and spoil it for those of us who want to enjoy living in this wonderful country. It does piss me off because at the end of the day we all end up being tarred with the same brush.

The guy writes impeccably.

I must agree...Why is it every single idiot I have ever had to deal with in this country AND in Cambodia has been from either Australia or New Zealand...? Sihanoukville Cambodia is a magnet for these people...not to mention Pnom Penh...The city of filth...Thailand has enough of its own problems to deal with and it certainly doesn't need the garbage and waist matter from Oz or anywhere else adding to the problem...STAY HOME...:jap:

I have never been attacked while leaving a bar, <deleted>??

But I have seen people swearing at the staff who then get a kicking.

There's a lot more to this story. maybe a lot less as well.

The only thing I have seen is staff after someone who refused to pay Check Bin. We all know this would create some problem here. This is taken much more seriuously here then back home, for sure.

“Wow what a helluva weekend,” wrote Browning “Some [expletive] named Sie Menzies and about 10 of his friends started a fight with me. I guess just to test a ‘UFC fighter guy’ at this [expletive] little bar in Karon, Thailand. Had a beer bottle and glass mug shattered on my head, then to make everything better, stabbed severely by some crazy Thai [expletive].

“On a positive note, I managed to break a few orbital bones, at least a couple jaws, and (left) some unconscious bodies laying on the ground before I blacked out from loss of blood and apparently had to be resuscitated in the ambulance. So, how was your weekend?”

the social version is a little bit different.. :whistling:

Having spent a few years in thailand drinking in more then a few bars, it's unfortunate that his story sounds all too believable. He obviously has the physical scars to back it up as well. He did exactly the right thing and got the hell out in order to try and get any sort of fair shake in the matter. With more eyes on the story and it getting world wide attention I am sure all of the truth will eventually get out, but you really can't fake getting stabbed and smashed over the head with bottles. Well hopefully he gave as good as he got and some of those other people have learned a lesson or two about attacking a lone guy they perceived as an easy victim.

Good luck to him, I say!

http://www.thaivisa....et/page__st__75

What is it you don't see here? Any Man who stands up to fight 10 other able bodied men is not a man with balls. It is a man with a Death Wish! Perhaps a man to chicken to committ suicide (like he tried) so rather get someone else to do it for him.

What Honour do you see from all of this? Attacking some woman in the bar and as the original story stated. Starting a fight with some Pot Bellied Middle Aged Man who owns the bar and has the right to tell him to leave, when you are a Professional Trained Fighter with hands and feet of a deadly weapon? Do you really think he was attached for no reason?That the police called a Man Hunt on him, for no reason? Or is the hounor in the part when he says himself he one-punched the guy while he was lieing in his hospital bed recovering from his wounds, and knocked him out? Or finally was it running from the law in the middle of the night like a thieft?

There is no honour in this son! Only disgrace!

Why does Thailand end up with thugs/gangsters/scumbags who have fled there own country and then come over here and spoil it for those of us who want to enjoy living in this wonderful country. It does piss me off because at the end of the day we all end up being tarred with the same brush.

Perhaps because they feel right a home in Thailand with the rest of the scumbags that seem to float ashore. Thailand seems to be a magnet for this type of person. Now ask yourself why and you will have your answer.

lesson No 1 Dont drink in bars in Thailand.

lesson No 2 Listen to lesson No1

The last time i drank in a bar would of been 3 years ago in Patpong. A fellow Australian albeit a bogan was pulling faces at me and basically itching for a fight. I ignored his neolithic mating calls and eventually he shuffled off dragging his knuckles along behind him. What a retard. These farang bar flies are all the same. I dont believe the perp penned the letter either.Definitely not written by a bar bogan.

As for the bit about the mafia whacking him? What a load of rubbish. Since when did the mafia start going around whacking 'dime a dozen' farangs in LOS ?

If you remove all farang that drink in bars in Thailand, there wouldn't be many left. Then how would the TAT cover that up?

As far as "mafia" types whacking people, are you sure you actually live in Thailand?

Perhaps because they feel right a home in Thailand with the rest of the scumbags that seem to float ashore. Thailand seems to be a magnet for this type of person. Now ask yourself why and you will have your answer.

Your words

" Thailand is on my rotation and I enjoy it while there "

So where do you fit in?:jap:

I only blame the Thai Authorities for these. Their visa rules are too lax expecially when it concerns countries like the US, Britain, Australia and thats why we have so many of their trash here in Thailand. Also the Thais are not strict eneough about farangs setting up and running businesses either by themselves or their nominees. Esp in areas like Pattaya,Phuket, Hua Hin,Samui, Krabi.....you have lots of sinister faranfs running businesses which could be fronts for money laundering etc. Something needs to be done fast.

I only blame the Thai Authorities for these. Their visa rules are too lax expecially when it concerns countries like the US, Britain, Australia and thats why we have so many of their trash here in Thailand. Also the Thais are not strict eneough about farangs setting up and running businesses either by themselves or their nominees. Esp in areas like Pattaya,Phuket, Hua Hin,Samui, Krabi.....you have lots of sinister faranfs running businesses which could be fronts for money laundering etc. Something needs to be done fast.

I know, and many other people know that a lot of Bars are owned by policemen in Phuket. So how would you go to the Police,Many take back handers from street vender's,tuk tuk drivers, taxi drivers, and also some small Hotels. Even Thais mistrust there own Police so what chance a Westerner.

Thai society flexibly accommodates anyone that can "pay the bill". Look at their own criminality. Cheating and corruption at all levels of society. Of course many good/great people but need I say more.

I have seen the same (locals) people at a large table at a well known bkk brewery drink and literally start fist fighting amongst themselves, get ejected by security. I have seen the same people get ejected on multiple occasions. They are paying customers after all and are welcome back again and again.

The guy on the plane is likely alcoholic. Non alcoholic people usually do not get into fights when drinking, they fall asleep. Alcoholic non Thais feel right at home in a country that has a huge alcoholism problem in of itself.

The guy writes impeccably.

Edited by atyclb

Browning is in the wrong profession he should be writing fiction novels.

And as for TeddyFlyfisherDavis singling out certain nationalities as the bad apples, you need to get out more and open your eyes.

There is good and bad no matter where you come from, just because you had a bad experience and were scared by a certain nationality doesn't make them all bad.

You look like you have a few years behind you, I would have thought you were a bit more sensible.

lesson No 1 Dont drink in bars in Thailand.

lesson No 2 Listen to lesson No1

The last time i drank in a bar would of been 3 years ago in Patpong. A fellow Australian albeit a bogan was pulling faces at me and basically itching for a fight. I ignored his neolithic mating calls and eventually he shuffled off dragging his knuckles along behind him. What a retard. These farang bar flies are all the same. I dont believe the perp penned the letter either.Definitely not written by a bar bogan.

As for the bit about the mafia whacking him? What a load of rubbish. Since when did the mafia start going around whacking 'dime a dozen' farangs in LOS ?

Ive been regularly drinking in bars in Thailand for many years and never had any problems.. never even seen a fight.. (unless I forgot lol)

I'm not saying they dont happen.. sure there are plenty of drunken idiots around and of course they get into fights but to suggest it is unsafe to drink in bars in Thailand strikes me as a tad paranoid..

I have seen a lot more bar fights in the uk..

I only blame the Thai Authorities for these. Their visa rules are too lax expecially when it concerns countries like the US, Britain, Australia and thats why we have so many of their trash here in Thailand.

Does that mean that people from other countries are better ones? Where are you from ? Racism at its best, to be honest. Russians really know how to behave......jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

that is only HIS part of the story... I guess they must have known each other long before and there is a history preceding all this... Why did he suddenly wanted to leave the bar where he first came with his 2 female companies?

I want to hear the other part of the story from the other side as well...

Ive been regularly drinking in bars in Thailand for many years and never had any problems.. never even seen a fight.. (unless I forgot lol)

I'm not saying they dont happen.. sure there are plenty of drunken idiots around and of course they get into fights but to suggest it is unsafe to drink in bars in Thailand strikes me as a tad paranoid..

I have seen a lot more bar fights in the uk..

I fully agree....

It is my hope that all of this is properly sorted-out. Here's another tale (parallel, perhaps).

Once upon a time, in an unlicensed biker-bar with dancing-ladies, a disgruntled fellow stomped into the place with a fire-axe which he planted, edge-first into the bar, itself.

The proprietor and bar-keep, a Turkish fellow, strolled up to his new customer and murmured "Get your F'n Axe off my bar."

The patron rocked his axe from the bar's surface then let it slide to the floor whereupon the proprietor said: "Now...what'll you have?" (true story)

If I go to 'the bar', I prefer reasonable joints.