Water Meter And Air "Bubbles"

We've been having some new water lines installed on the main road near our village. Water is off and on. Our bill for last month was unusually high, but I attribute that to our own use, nothing else.

The village manager told wifey yesterday that air is going through the lines instead of water and it's causing the meter to turn. And that everybody's bill in the village has been high. He's right on that, but it's also the dry season. So....Could be as we all have pumps, so wouldn't know if there's air in the lines or not as the meters are all on the road outside our walls. He said he's seen the meter turn when there was no water available.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

We've been having some new water lines installed on the main road near our village. Water is off and on. Our bill for last month was unusually high, but I attribute that to our own use, nothing else.

The village manager told wifey yesterday that air is going through the lines instead of water and it's causing the meter to turn. And that everybody's bill in the village has been high. He's right on that, but it's also the dry season. So....Could be as we all have pumps, so wouldn't know if there's air in the lines or not as the meters are all on the road outside our walls. He said he's seen the meter turn when there was no water available.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Unlikely with just air, but if the water is aerated it could give high readings for the amount of water supplied. Have you investigated and obsevered it happening when no water is being supplied.

For certain ,if air has been introduced into the system i.e.' having some water lines installed' then this air can only be removed via consumers water outlets.

As this water/ air mix passes thru the meter it will meter it as 100% liquid even though it may only be say 90% water..Meters cannot distinguish between the two fluids -air and water.

When a new pipe line is installed you not only get the pipe ,you also get it's contents i.e. air

The cost of installing an air elimination device (or an air extraction device)is impossible to justify.

If its quiet season and you are the only consumer on the system -then you probably get all this new air.

Given that there are no actual problems with the system -then this problem will disappear over a relatively short period of time.

Trust that this helps

Well, one of life's curiosities has been solved. Thanks!!!! I'll pass this on to the manager. The community pool and common area are the first ones tied into the water line as it comes into the village. So I'm guessing they got the air. We could have also, but wouldn't have noticed as it just flows into some underground tanks....usually at night.

Thanks!