New True Hd Box

nellyp

Is it possible to run the signal from the new true hd box to another tv (not HD). I used to do this with my old (not HD ) box as it had a signal out connection (coaxial for an antenna). The new box does not have this connection, but I thought I would be able to fit an adapter, and run a lead to my TV upstairs. the picture does not come through though. I am running thelead from the satalitte out connection and taking out the cable that is doubled over from the 2nd sat connection. has anybody been able to get this to work? if so how? i'm not very happy with this box as all it does is give me soccer in HD but loses my ability to watch telly in bed with the missus and kids

I had the same arrangement as you for 9 years and switched to the new HD box last month when the old one gave up the ghost. The True installers said the new box couldn't handle this as there was no second AV out. The solution was a second, separate HD box which no longer ties each TV to identical channels. The cost of this second service point if you have a Gold subscription is 500 baht a month plus a 2,000 baht deposit for the second box.

It's worked out quite well because it has put an end to arguments in my house over who gets possession of the remote and who watches what.

One additional point. It doesn't matter if the second TV (or even the first) is not HD. The second box will work just as well so long as you adjust the settings in the Menu. You'll need to go into the User sub-menus and configure Installation Set-up. Not a problem. I think it's explained in the guide accompanying the box. The True technician should do this, anyway.

One additional point. It doesn't matter if the second TV (or even the first) is not HD. The second box will work just as well so long as you adjust the settings in the Menu. You'll need to go into the User sub-menus and configure Installation Set-up. Not a problem. I think it's explained in the guide accompanying the box. The True technician should do this, anyway.

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I will be doing this though as I don't want the outlay for what is basically 4 channels that I watch. Do you know what the usb port is for? Somebody suggested to me that if I had an external hard drive plugged into the box I could direct record onto it, though I don't understand how

Cheers

The USB is for an external hard drive to be used as a programme recorder. But apparently not yet. TrueVisions says it will activate the software to make this PVR work early next year, presumably before the four-month free trial ends. The programming function already exists on the remote. Can't happen soon enough for me as that's one of the reasons I got it.

I also like the component output (in addition to HDMI) although this only works in standard definition. Greatly improves picture quality of regular channels.

The USB is for an external hard drive to be used as a programme recorder. But apparently not yet. TrueVisions says it will activate the software to make this PVR work early next year, presumably before the four-month free trial ends. The programming function already exists on the remote. Can't happen soon enough for me as that's one of the reasons I got it.

I also like the component output (in addition to HDMI) although this only works in standard definition. Greatly improves picture quality of regular channels.

Well that sounds cool, but I will not assume that the software will be active any time soon. I thi8nk I will try the composite cable to get a better picture on SD TV and sacrifice the sport channel I watch. My picture seems worse now, since the new box arrived

I was referring to component cable (RGB) as providing the better picture on SD channels. Composite cable gives an inferior picture. If you use component you'll need to reset the resolution menu in the installation set-up to 576i. Anything higher will lead to a blank screen because the box will think you are trying to upscale over component and that is only allowed over HDMI, supposedly to protect against piracy. There's no electronic "handshake" over component.

I was referring to component cable (RGB) as providing the better picture on SD channels. Composite cable gives an inferior picture. If you use component you'll need to reset the resolution menu in the installation set-up to 576i. Anything higher will lead to a blank screen because the box will think you are trying to upscale over component and that is only allowed over HDMI, supposedly to protect against piracy. There's no electronic "handshake" over component.

Thanks, I'll play with this in the new year

• 4 weeks later...

Further to this topic....

I have the same new HD True box.

I have a connection to my TV with the HD cable, does this disable or over-ride the other ouputs (RGB and AV/Audio sockets (yellow red white), or can I use two outputs consecutively.

I simply want to run the kitchen TV off the box so when am busy in the kitchen can keep track of the programme I am watching on the main TV. So just to copy the programme on the main TV to a second TV. It would seem easiest just to connect a (long) A/V cable between the set-top box and the 2nd TV, which is what the OP was discussing - but I just want a second monitor to watch the programme off the main TV when moving between rooms,

I would not pay 500 baht a month for an un-needed second box with zillions of channels. Just need a feed off the one channel I am currently watching.

Possible or not? I could purchase the long cable and try it - but thought I should ask first as i might be wasting my time and money.

I have a connection to my TV with the HD cable, does this disable or over-ride the other ouputs (RGB and AV/Audio sockets (yellow red white), or can I use two outputs consecutively.

This certainly works on the original satellite HD box 'out of the box' using component and HDMI at the same time. No need to fiddle with any menus. New box has the same outputs. Would also be interested if someone can confirm on the new HD box.

No need for a long cable to try it.

Bring the kitchen TV to the box and use a standard 6ft cable

Then invest in the longer cable if it works.

Not as simple as that - which is why I was asking first. My TV's are on different floors and I don't fancy humping a 40 inch LED TV up the stairs - just to try it.

Yesterday I purchased a 'modulator' from Amorn Electrical store which has inputs for Yellow/red/white and apparently converts it to an RF signal with an attached TV plug as the output - which (if it works will be perfect, as I can just run a length of TV coax then, between the two sets.

If it doesn't - I will say goodbye to 90 baht - but no tears :)

I will report back when I manage to find time to do it - unless someone in the meantime beats me to it.

Not as simple as that - which is why I was asking first. My TV's are on different floors and I don't fancy humping a 40 inch LED TV up the stairs - just to try it.

Yesterday I purchased a 'modulator' from Amorn Electrical store which has inputs for Yellow/red/white and apparently converts it to an RF signal with an attached TV plug as the output - which (if it works will be perfect, as I can just run a length of TV coax then, between the two sets.

If it doesn't - I will say goodbye to 90 baht - but no tears smile.png

I will report back when I manage to find time to do it - unless someone in the meantime beats me to it.

Well I can confirm that it IS possible to run a feed off the new HD box even though the HDMI cable is connected to the main TV.

I connected standard Y/R/W phono plugs to the output jacks on the back of the HD box, and then connected these to the 90 baht 'modulator' box I bought from Amorn (In the TV cable and plugs department) This has a 12" cable attached to it with a standard TV plug on the end (male) which I then plugged into my existing TV coax system and at the other end of this was my 2nd TV - in another room, which I am pleased to say was showing the same channel as the main TV.

Obviously, you cannot watch different channels to the main TV - but if you want to watch the news whilst switching from room to room - here you go :)

• 3 weeks later...

If it doesn't - I will say goodbye to 90 baht - but no tears smile.png

Well I can confirm that it IS possible to run a feed off the new HD box even though the HDMI cable is connected to the main TV.

I connected standard Y/R/W phono plugs to the output jacks on the back of the HD box, and then connected these to the 90 baht 'modulator' box I bought from Amorn (In the TV cable and plugs department) This has a 12" cable attached to it with a standard TV plug on the end (male) which I then plugged into my existing TV coax system and at the other end of this was my 2nd TV - in another room, which I am pleased to say was showing the same channel as the main TV.

Obviously, you cannot watch different channels to the main TV - but if you want to watch the news whilst switching from room to room - here you go smile.png

Great stuff Udox. I don't have a clue where to buy the box as I'm in the Roi-et area, but I'll keep a look out for one and it will be happy days watching a movie in bed again.