Stolen Suphoth Cash Linked To Transport Project Bidders: NACC

webfact

Stolen cash linked to transport project bidders: NACC

THE NATION

Part of the banknotes seized after last month's robbery at the suspended Transport permanent secretary's home were found to be linked to certain private companies that won bidding for Transport Ministry projects, according to the national anti-graft agency.

Klanarong Chantik, spokesman for the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), told a press conference yesterday that the NACC subcommittee investigating to determine whether Suphoth Sablom was unusually wealthy had found the lead.

The subcommittee had asked 42 banks in writing for information about Suphoth's accounts and 27 of them have replied, the NACC spokesman said.

He added that the probe panel was looking into the details of the information provided by the banks.

The panel examined 89 banknote bands that came with the Bt8 million in cash confiscated from the robbery suspects. The money was from nine banks and it was found that the banknote bands from five banks contained information that linked them to certain private companies involved in bidding for Transport Ministry projects, according to the NACC spokesman.

He said the investigation subcommittee would summon the private companies in question to testify about the findings, adding the panel was authorised to do so without first seeking approval from the NACC.

He also said that the probe panel had assigned two teams of its investigators to gather more information regarding the matter.

"The officials now have information about the source of some of the banknote bands, but I would not like to speak about this in detail," Klanarong said.

He declined to specify in which project of the Transport Ministry the private companies in question were involved and whether it was the subway line construction project as had been alleged by Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who is in charge of police affairs.

"What I can say is that the money is linked to certain companies that won bidding to enter into an agreement with the Transport Ministry," the NACC spokesman said.

He said the anti-graft agency's investigation so far has not found connections with any politician or affected any bidding or project of the Transport Ministry.

"Initially this is investigation into allegedly unusual wealth, reporting false information about assets, and malfeasance. After this there will be an in-depth investigation," he said.

The NACC summoned Suphoth to explain about his wealth before January 11, according to the spokesman. He said the agency has notified Suphoth in writing to testify about his wealth but that he had not done so yet.

Klanarong said the NACC has reported to the Criminal Court about its findings in the recent search of Suphoth's spacious home in Bangkok's Lat Phrao area.

Eight suspects have been arrested in connection with the heist on November 12. Police said they confiscated Bt18.1 million from the alleged robbers but Suphoth insisted that only Bt5 million were robbed from his home.

Chalerm, of the ruling Pheu Thai Party, recently attempted to link Suphoth's money to former transport minister Sophon Saram from the rival Bhum Jai Thai Party, who quickly denied the allegation.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-21

How are note bands linked to certain companies. They ban together 1000 baht notes for ease of handling. So if I go to the bank and ask for enough money that I get several packages of notes, I put them in my pocket. How would they know who they gave the money too and then know who I gave it to. INTERESTING

How are note bands linked to certain companies. They ban together 1000 baht notes for ease of handling. So if I go to the bank and ask for enough money that I get several packages of notes, I put them in my pocket. How would they know who they gave the money too and then know who I gave it to. INTERESTING

Batch numbers on the bands ...

Batch numbers on the bands ...

Ok makes sense, but do they record the batch number on your withdrawal slip how do they associate that batch to somchai who ever.

Sometimes companies withdrawing large amounts of cash stamp their company seal or other identification on the bands. If a company handles several projects at once, it might also write down the respective project on the bands to know which bundle is intended for which project.

Sometimes companies withdrawing large amounts of cash stamp their company seal or other identification on the bands. If a company handles several projects at once, it might also write down the respective project on the bands to know which bundle is intended for which project.

Ok that makes a lot of sense, then they stamp who the payoff is going too hahahahaah.

Ok that makes a lot of sense, then they stamp who the payoff is going too hahahahaah.

The band have the branch number and dates written on them. For upcountry branch, you do not get many people making large withdrawal on the same day. Plus you have notify the branch 1 day ahead if you want to withdraw > 1 million baht in cash.

politician takes bribe in Thailand, shock horror hold the front page......

SHOCK ??!!! post-4641-1156694606.gif

The authority should start from this case to root out OR at least to minimize corruptions that may be happening within all their ministries.

Get to the root if they are serious about improving the branding of the country image.

Might as well stop it if they only doing surface talk by arresting some scape goats for "show"

The bank bands will tell the investigators which bank and branch the wad came from and which date, the name of the teller too in some banks. Then the investigators have a look at the CCTV cameras on that day and there's their suspect.

Some red shirts are alleging Supot held onto the money as he wasn't sure whether to give it to the Transport Minister at the time the contracts were made(Sophon) or the new Minister under Pheua Thai , consequently a certain politician from Buriram felt he had been double crossed and ordered the 'liberation' of the money. That politician also has business interests in Laos which could explain why the gang leader has managed to evade the police so far.

politician takes bribe in Thailand, shock horror hold the front page......

SHOCK ??!!! post-4641-1156694606.gif

The authority should start from this case to root out OR at least to minimize corruptions that may be happening within all their ministries.

Get to the root if they are serious about improving the branding of the country image.

Might as well stop it if they only doing surface talk by arresting some scape goats for "show"

Um... sure. Unfortunately they're pretty much all into it, the whole state is built on corruption. I don't know what it would take to change that - maybe a strong hand like Singapore? Maybe a popular uprising? All I know is it would take a dramatic event to change this.

I'm confused! ! ! They talk about 8 million from Suphoth, 18 million found on the thieves, and Suphoth saying he only had 5 million. ??????

The thieves are also financial geniuses and made a killing at the stock market while they held the money... laugh.gif