Applications For Permanent Residency Open Until 30 Dec.

I believe few where approved, but the process was practically at hold and last years no applications where accepted. So this years opening could mean they are working on the older applications.

Mario:

Your threads are always wrapped with kind consideration.

Thank you.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One weeks notice and to prepare, I get the feeling that they are not really serious about accepting permanent residents and it is just a token gesture. The Thai olympics, On your marks, get set, oh sorry to late. Why not run a competition? In two (2) words or less explain in detail why you would like to be chosen to become a permanent resident of Thailand.

STATUS

I applied this year, got a couple docs to submit later on, that I missed. They give you a couple weeks,

as long as you have most of the stuff during the application period.

Although i can read and write on about a 4th grade level, you don't need to for the test, and that is from

the immigration officers mouth, less than a week ago.

Just basic conversational Thai.

Couple of basic points, for everyone that is complaining about the amount of notice given for the application period, it is well known and they will

tell you any time of the year, if you ask at immigration, that if they are going to open PR apps then it will be the last couple of

weeks of the year.

So don't complain if you can't be bothered to place a call to immigration and ask a basic question.

One thing no one pointed out, is while you are waiting for your application to be approved, they give you 6 month stamps to stay in Thailand,

and the only thing you need to do to get this, is go down and fill out a one page form.

For anyone that has done a 1 year business visa extension, and submitted the 3 inches of paperwork that is involved,

even if you don't get approved, the benefits of the approval process are worth the fee.

Hell, I wouldn't even mind if I was never approved, and just kept getting the 6 month stamps.

I am doing it because I don't want to fill out the paperwork for the 1 year extensions, thats it.

But there are a number of benefits if your on a work visa, the main being if you lose your job, your visa

is cancelled very quickly.

I think there are probably less benefits if you are on something like a retirement visa, because your

paperwork requirements are fairly small to apply for the extension.

Last note, I would think it would be difficult to apply on your own unless, your language skills including reading and writing

are very very good.

Nearly impossible to get, interview conducted in both written & spoken Thai, proof of at-least 60,000 THB paid in tax, 250,000 THB fee, business holdings in I forget the amount, that's only what I remember. In 31 yrs only know of one farang to ever get one.

If anyone is thinking it's & easy way out 90 day report dates, & worth maybe $20,000.00 USD go for it.

"Nearly impossible"?

How wrong can you be? I know so so many PR's...dozens and dozens of them.

If you're qualified and speak anything resembling basic Thai, you will get it if you are patient enough.

One day someone is going to decide to clean out the backlog, then everyone in the queue will get it. If you're not in the queue because you think it's "nearly impossible" or that you'll be dead first -- obviously you're not going to get it.

You questioned someone who posted his friend spent big baht trying to get one.You claimed you got it, "it is a points system"Then a mod listed the costs which are substantial Could you clarify this anomaly?

An unsuccessful applicant should only be out the application fee (7,600 baht). The poster claimed he was out 100K+...

You can spend 100K or more and get rejected if you use some lawyer or visa consulting service. I would advise against these, if you need someone other than a secretary or a good Thai friend to help you, you probably will have issues getting approved anyways.

You wrote:

"I used the on line booking system ( 29 days before visa expiry ) and arrived early. I was called soon after the time I booked, and the whole process took about 15 minutes."

As the immigration in Chiang Mai is full with ppl every day it would be nice to know the ULR to the page where you can book your appointment.

You wrote:

"I used the on line booking system ( 29 days before visa expiry ) and arrived early. I was called soon after the time I booked, and the whole process took about 15 minutes."

As the immigration in Chiang Mai is full with ppl every day it would be nice to know the ULR to the page where you can book your appointment.

http://chiangmaiimm.com/

Everybody is so upset in Europe about the immigrants not integrating into European societies......so what have YOU done to integrate in to the Thai society? Some guys even object to the permanent residence documents being in Thai. And so they should be! And there should be a compulsary langauge test too! This is THAILAND if you haven't noticed. How many of you guys so-called "living" here have made a really big effort to learn the language? It is not that difficult, much easier than any European language. So get your butts off the bar stools, learn the lingo and start LIVING in THAILAND, not "little Englands" or "little Deutschlands" here.

Bravo!

Everybody is so upset in Europe about the immigrants not integrating into European societies......so what have YOU done to integrate in to the Thai society? Some guys even object to the permanent residence documents being in Thai. And so they should be! And there should be a compulsary langauge test too! This is THAILAND if you haven't noticed. How many of you guys so-called "living" here have made a really big effort to learn the language? It is not that difficult, much easier than any European language. So get your butts off the bar stools, learn the lingo and start LIVING in THAILAND, not "little Englands" or "little Deutschlands" here.

Bravo!

Excellent.

Anybody can give an advice on how to make a document on applicant history, work experience, knowledge and special abilities ? Is it something like a resume? Do we use a resume template to write it all ?

And how to fulfil the requirement of being advantageous to thai society? I work in an export company and bring foreign curreny in, can it be considered as an advantage to thai society?

About medical certificate, as I read in thai requirement sheet, it's stated that it's just a health certificate. But I also read somewhere in this thread that they require a health certificate specifically for diseases such as TB, Syphillis, Drug Addiction, Alcoholism etc.

What's actually required? just a simple health certificate or with the above diseases? The people who applied this year your input is welcome.

"official" English text:

Notification of Immigration Bureau

Admission of application for residential permit in the year B.E. 2554(2011)

According to the notification from Minister of interior by approval of the cabinet issued on December, 9 B.E. 2551 (2008) regarding quota of aliens to have residence in the Kingdom for the year 2008 the following stipulations are applied.

1. 100 persons of each nationality, Colony or colonies of each country shall be considered as one country while each Sovereign state shall be considered as one country and 50 persons for stateless people.

2. The application can be submitted on the date after this notification until the 30 th of December B.E. 2551 (2008) during office hours.

3. Place to submit the application:

In Bangkok : At Sub-division 1 ,Immigration Division 1, The Government Complex Commemorating His Majesty The King’s 80th Birthday Anniversary,5th December, B.E. 2550 (2007), Building B, 2 Floor, Counter D, 120 Moo 3, Chaengwattana Road, Thungsonghong Sub-District, Bangkok 10210

In other regions : At local or near by Immigration Office/Checkpoint,

In other country : At Thai Diplomatic representative, either Thai Embassy or Consulate in each country.

Official English translation of announcement: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/2notice/residence/residence2011.pdf

Thanks guys. But I never donated to any charity yet. So what should I do?

haha.... start giving, and give big to make up for lost time! wai.gif

Seriously, even if it doesn't help with a residency app, it might earn you some merit in the realm of kamma (cause and effect).

It is amazing what I read here. You want to become permanent resident then you have to do it their way. The filing of application is - and always was - the last two weeks in December. Why? Dont ask!

Actually it has not always been thus. When I applied in 1995 they opened for applications in late November till the end of the year and Immigration could virtually guarantee you an answer one way or the other before they opened for the next year's applications. If you look back at announcements back in the 70s and 80s of the annual quota in the Royal Gazette which precedes the opening for applications some of them were in September or October. Over the last 10 years the announcements starting getting later and later, viz this year the announcement in the RG was 14th December and Immigration opened for applications on 22nd December. On the other hand Immigration now accepts incomplete applications and allows some documents to be submitted by the end of January or so. When I applied they only accepted complete applications.

Edited by Arkady

• 3 months later...