Bringing Wine To Thailand

steppenfaerie

Does anyone know how many bottles of wine I can bring duty-free to Thailand, and what the taxes are if I exceed this limit? I've tried googling and it looks like I can bring in 1L of alcohol duty-free, but I can't find anything on taxation rates.

I'm looking to bring in around 4 bottles for personal use/as gifts - because decent Australian wines seem to be hard to find and ridiculously overpriced in BKK! Will I run into any problems with 4 bottles? And where do I go at Don Muang to pay the taxes? I've never done this before! :o

Thanks guys!

Does anyone know how many bottles of wine I can bring duty-free to Thailand, and what the taxes are if I exceed this limit? I've tried googling and it looks like I can bring in 1L of alcohol duty-free, but I can't find anything on taxation rates.

I'm looking to bring in around 4 bottles for personal use/as gifts - because decent Australian wines seem to be hard to find and ridiculously overpriced in BKK! Will I run into any problems with 4 bottles? And where do I go at Don Muang to pay the taxes? I've never done this before! :o

Thanks guys!

If you want to bring them in officially, walk through the "red channel" at the airport and make a customs declaration. Duties are high, that's why the price of wine in Thailand appears overpriced. Bring in five bottles and you might get a duty exemption :D

The trick is to not be conspicuous. As in, if you carry no visible shopping bags and are toting nothing other than 'luggage' you waltz right through. I've passed through the airport enough times and observed enough to know for a fact this is where they draw the line.

Now, could we expand the thread a bit and narrow down the process a bit more.

1- what is the average weight per bottle of wine?

2- where could you have a custom made [use bubble-wrap?] multi-bottle wine sleeve made.

3- how are wine prices in Singapore? Since we will be banking there soon.. :o

3-

Thanks guys!

If it is for your own consumption, you can make an effort. I was bringing 5-6 bottles of Penfolds BIN 389, at least 10 times. No hassles, just walked thru.

Somebody told me the tax would be 100B per bottle if you declare it and the officers would want to nail you down and get you to fill the forms. Never happened.

Thais are not great wine appreciators, they hardly know what the wine is about. I was shocked to see my gf drinking my red BIN 389 chilled and with ice.

Classy Thais may know better but the plebs have no idea.

Then, I would take a bladder or two (4L casks), 8L. Once I ws stopped and sent for baggage examination.

"What's in this cubes?" custom officer asked me.

"Wine" I said.

"Why you bring it here?"

To drink it.

"It's a lot"

Yes, I like it.

"Nothing else?"

Just Australian wine.

"OK, go".

My bags are always full of wine. Last time I had 4x2litre casks and 8-10 bottles.

I just walk straight through. Bloody heavy to carry around though.

I've never had a bag search on the way in but I've had one on the way out.

A Captain's flt bag, you know , the ones with a long drag handle and wheels are ideal for booze, from mem you can get 12 x 1 litre bottles in one.

The DF shop will supply you with the foam net to stop them rattling :D

I have 2 :o

Let's know if you get caught :D

^ Indeed. But some of the regional airlines- Air Asia & Tiger Airways, from my experience- are very strict on baggage limit overages. I've had to pay excess charges on more than one occasion. Stuff your bags too full and you might just loose whatever value you intended to gain.