I Know Not To Rent A Jet Ski, But A Motorcycle/Scooter?

wellred

I'm headed to Krabi tomorrow and am thinking of renting out a scooter/motorcycle. I have actually never riden one but I can drive back home (UK).

1) Will this be enough to get by? If not the GF knows how to so she may rent it out herself

2) Does the jetski scam operate in the same way here? Some have mentioned here and there they have seen similar scams for motorcycles but on Krabi?

Just want to make sure so i know in advance not to bother.

Thanks

I'm headed to Krabi tomorrow and am thinking of renting out a scooter/motorcycle. I have actually never riden one but I can drive back home (UK).

1) Will this be enough to get by? If not the GF knows how to so she may rent it out herself

2) Does the jetski scam operate in the same way here? Some have mentioned here and there they have seen similar scams for motorcycles but on Krabi?

Just want to make sure so i know in advance not to bother.

Thanks

Wow I'm first to post a reply!!!! just had to get that out of the way, sorry

Anyway my views on the subject as I rented a motorcycle when I was in Ao Nang (near Krabi town).

First thing there will always be scams no matter where you are, you just have to be very cautious. Go to several shops and find out their terms, pick one that will accept photocopies of your ID, never hand over your passport, driving license etc. you do not have to even if they argue different, if they insist move on to the next shop (there's plenty around). When they give you the motorcycle check it over and point out any existing damage to the owner and make a note of it (photo even better). Also make a note of how much fuel was in it when given to you because most will insist you fill it up on return.

If you've not ridden a motorcycle in Thailand before get your girlfriend (assuming she is Thai) to drive you around a bit so you can get an idea of what's what. The rules for driving here are very hit and miss, traffic lights are often ignored, indicators are not often used or just left on with no intentions of turning, traffic lanes are totally ignored (pass on the outside, inside, hard shoulder, anywhere). Speed limits - what are they???? give way - what's that???? I think you get the idea. Oh and it is legal to turn left at traffic lights while still red so don't block that lane if you're going straight on (you will become very unpopular).

Anyway hope that helps - take care and do wear a helmet you may think it cool to ride without one as most Thais do but a] you will be singled out and fined by the police and b] the accident rate here is horrendous, it's better when you return home to walk on the plane than be loaded on as freight.

Almost forgot, get a good lock and chain because I've heard of people hiring motobikes and the people you hired it from have your address so they come and 'steal' it back and then you have to pay for a stolen motorbike. Even if that is just a rumour it's a good idea to lock it at all times as motorbike theft is rife.

Edited by sysardman

Not the slightest problem to rent a bike OR a jetski !

Just takes a little smiling and joking with the owners to let them know you're not open to scams and a walk around (bike or jetski) completely removes the scamming element....

I agree its not right for them to pick on the "inexperienced" but anyone who reads ANY forum really ought to know the score on bikes and jetskis.....

My eldest boy 24 at the time had it tried on with a jeski.....

Dad walks down as they were not aware it was my boy and is its "Sorry Mr Paul" but guys ought to be more aware these days......

Just a one minute inspection of the "vehicle" will remove any attempted scam....