Finally Decided For The Chevy Captiva

yannic

After almost 5 month waiting time for the Fortuner, my patience was all used up I decided I need a car before the end of the year. I even called Toyota Factory but they could not give me a delivery date, not even a vague estimate. So I thought I need another car. Since Toyota promised me to return my 10k downpayment, there was nothing much to loose, except more time.

I always liked the Captiva, a great looking car. Went to Chevy and after a short back and forth they found the car I wanted at a dealer not to far away.

When I presented my wish list for freebies, we were able to put a check on point 1 to 7 but with point 8 I wanted to have the rear view camera via the Navigation display, and not a seperate display somewhere which they offered. So they said, not possible. Need to add 15k Baht. I stood up, gave them my calling card, wrote my cell number and told them if they agree they should call me and left. A day later after several tries to persuade me to accept to pay in the end they offered 5k instead of 15k, I still denied, finally they agreed to add it for free he he he.

So I got all inclusive what I wanted:

1. Free 1 year first class insurance

2. free floor mats

3. free rubber mats

4. free glass impregnation

5. free rust proof from underneath

6. free paint sealant

7. something else I forgot

8. rear view camera

Will get the car next Friday morning. Still need to get some money over here. Yes and I got the Captiva 2.4l LTZ gasoline in grey.

Now I still have a question. In the order contract where I had to pay 10k downpayment (all in Tai) I saw three amounts which I would need to pay:

1. amount was 6,500 Baht for I don't really know, for every car this needs to be paid? Is that true?

2. amount 644 Baht don't know for what

3. amount was 3,000 Baht which seems to be a deposit for red number plates. If I understand it correct it will be refunded.

So is that really true, that I need to pay those amounts in addition, or did they link me with that?

Thanks

6500 = Vehicle Registration (normally included free)

644 Sounds lile compulsory 3rd party insurance (normally included free)

3000 = Security desposit for the dealer (red) plates (it's normal you will pay this)

So it would appear they got that 5,000 they wanted, and then some.

the 3000 baht for red plates should get you legal redplates with a brownish A5 size log book to log each trip, the illegal ones are usually free of deposit

3000 = Security desposit for the dealer (red) plates (it's normal you will pay this)

not so sure about the 6500, I asked a Thai colleague this morning and showed him the contract, he said it is some kind of registration of the car to be able to drive in Thailand, not really the normal registration, hard for them to explain and for me to understand, but he said for every car this needs to be paid and it is not the registration. And I would have to pay that, it would be not included in the price. The 644 Baht should be a yearly payment for the sticker or something. And the 3000 should get refunded.

Chevy sales guy just called me, have problem, rear view camera, can not, install difficult, technician can not, may damage car, will give 10k instead. Ha ha ha haven't laughed for a while. Now they found out that the price and installation is a bit pricier as what they thought and try to back out. So what should I do? Get the discount or try to get a higher discount or insist on the rear view camera, they may really mess up the installation. But I actually think it is just an excuse.

Edited by yannic

not so sure about the 6500, I asked a Thai colleague this morning and showed him the contract, he said it is some kind of registration of the car to be able to drive in Thailand, not really the normal registration, hard for them to explain and for me to understand, but he said for every car this needs to be paid and it is not the registration. And I would have to pay that, it would be not included in the price. The 644 Baht should be a yearly payment for the sticker or something. And the 3000 should get refunded.

6500 is registartion/roadtax/plates, got it free 2 weeks ago on my cheap mazda2.

645 baht is Por Or Bor, compulsory insurance, got it free 2 weeks ago on my cheap mazda2

and fake redplates free, Ithink I will keep em

its an excuse.. maybe forget the camera and make them switch to diesel? getting that gasoline model is 1 level dumber than anything happening on thaisoaps.. Bad for the environment and your wallet

Hmmmmmmmmm, like all the natives are worried about the environment rolleyes.gif .

Chevy sales guy just called me, have problem, rear view camera, can not, install difficult, technician can not, may damage car, will give 10k instead. Ha ha ha haven't laughed for a while. Now they found out that the price and installation is a bit pricier as what they thought and try to back out. So what should I do? Get the discount or try to get a higher discount or insist on the rear view camera, they may really mess up the installation. But I actually think it is just an excuse.

Start again with an M-U 7. The rear view camera display is on the main navigation screen. Cheaper than a Captiva too.wai.gif

Thailand. For the average reader here a Diesel Engine is a Farce.Like a Gas Conversion they don't do enough miles to justify the extra cost over a petrol engine. I average 65 K Miles a year so it just about pays of because i haul goods and thrash it like a Truck should be used. As you can see many readers change them just to get a Champ badge on a Vigo and a 4 W.D. sticker for a gizmo thats never used So Engine Life doesnt matter to them. . At the pumps ,but again this wont apply to the Tesco Truckers , they only fill up once a year anyway. i find this. You only need to be in a rural area and get someone filling 45 Gal Drums and you wait ages, just like LPG. Sometimes you click for a Hi Pressure Big Rig Pump and Daisy Dork squirts 3 Litres over the Wheel. whilst protecting her Blackberry. Or Cherry. Then it stinks all day.Even with an Auto Truck the first gear is a Crawler. The Makers have to ensure it will Hill do Starts when fully loaded , or grossly overladen , as is Thai Way. I for one look forward to Clack Free Benzine Motoring one day. I think his choise is O.K. and it doesnt look like a Converson of a 600 K Single Cab like the reset do. Its one of the Best Looking CRV currently available IMO.. If Honda Built it id have one. As for Conservation ,a Fashion Statement for Vegiarians and P.C <deleted>. Must go now and save the Planet.coffee1.gifwai.gif

thanks all for your answers and worries about the rear view camera. I just thought in most SUV's in that class it should be included and as a freebie why not, so I negotiated to have it for free. I am not sure what the problem is with the camera and that particular Chevy shop but I called yesterday three Chevy dealers and the installation is not a problem, all original GM parts and instruction to install is there. Price for the camera and installation is around 15,000 Baht. So I told the sales guy if they give 15,000 discount they could forget about the camera, I could always get it later on. Anyway they confirmed a few hours later that they will give me 15k discount. So I am all ok and will have my car by Friday.

In the very beginning I looked for all SUV's available in Thailand, I also checked a few 5 seaters evenso I only wanted to have a 7-seater. But I quickly droped all 5-seaters. It's a shame that Honda doesn't build a nice 7-seater. All the reviews I read about the MU-7 were not that great, also in my opinion it doesn't look that good. With the Pajero Sport, I just could not get friends with that car. The Fortuner is based on the Pick-Up but still a very popular SUV, so I thought this will be the one. I was not happy with the gold-silverish color so, I prefer more the bluish or grey silver color, while the darker grey was a bit to shadily so that was another thing. And also the Fortuner does not have a lumbar supported driver seat for my bad back wacko.png. But the Chevy has he he he. So in the end I think I am ok with the change to the Captiva.

Yes and I agree to wandrinstar, it is really one of the best looking SUV's out there in Thailand at the moment. As for Diesel or not, I do not drive that much per year that it will really benefit. I used to drive 30-40k a year but no more. In the last couple of years it was not so much. I do more kms on my motorbikes then on the car. But with that goodlooking Crossover SUV I might add a few kms here and there and go to the countryside to explore the beauty of Thailand by car.

Thailand. For the average reader here a Diesel Engine is a Farce.Like a Gas Conversion they don't do enough miles to justify the extra cost over a petrol engine. I average 65 K Miles a year so it just about pays of because i haul goods and thrash it like a Truck should be used. As you can see many readers change them just to get a Champ badge on a Vigo and a 4 W.D. sticker for a gizmo thats never used So Engine Life doesnt matter to them. . At the pumps ,but again this wont apply to the Tesco Truckers , they only fill up once a year anyway. i find this. You only need to be in a rural area and get someone filling 45 Gal Drums and you wait ages, just like LPG. Sometimes you click for a Hi Pressure Big Rig Pump and Daisy Dork squirts 3 Litres over the Wheel. whilst protecting her Blackberry. Or Cherry. Then it stinks all day.Even with an Auto Truck the first gear is a Crawler. The Makers have to ensure it will Hill do Starts when fully loaded , or grossly overladen , as is Thai Way. I for one look forward to Clack Free Benzine Motoring one day. I think his choise is O.K. and it doesnt look like a Converson of a 600 K Single Cab like the reset do. Its one of the Best Looking CRV currently available IMO.. If Honda Built it id have one. As for Conservation ,a Fashion Statement for Vegiarians and P.C <deleted>. Must go now and save the Planet.coffee1.gifwai.gif

laugh.png Unfortunately l read all that lot and my conclusion is you don't understand 4x4 auto trans.cowboy.gif

Strange how l regularly see manuals off at the stop light drags in my auto while they're searching for second. Also there are different ratios to choose from with the aid of a handy lever to get you up major inclines etc. My conclusion is you've driven one in the ''get me up that mountain'' ratio.laugh.png .

Edited by transam

thanks all for your answers and worries about the rear view camera. I just thought in most SUV's in that class it should be included and as a freebie why not, so I negotiated to have it for free. I am not sure what the problem is with the camera and that particular Chevy shop but I called yesterday three Chevy dealers and the installation is not a problem, all original GM parts and instruction to install is there. Price for the camera and installation is around 15,000 Baht. So I told the sales guy if they give 15,000 discount they could forget about the camera, I could always get it later on. Anyway they confirmed a few hours later that they will give me 15k discount. So I am all ok and will have my car by Friday.

In the very beginning I looked for all SUV's available in Thailand, I also checked a few 5 seaters evenso I only wanted to have a 7-seater. But I quickly droped all 5-seaters. It's a shame that Honda doesn't build a nice 7-seater. All the reviews I read about the MU-7 were not that great, also in my opinion it doesn't look that good. With the Pajero Sport, I just could not get friends with that car. The Fortuner is based on the Pick-Up but still a very popular SUV, so I thought this will be the one. I was not happy with the gold-silverish color so, I prefer more the bluish or grey silver color, while the darker grey was a bit to shadily so that was another thing. And also the Fortuner does not have a lumbar supported driver seat for my bad back wacko.png. But the Chevy has he he he. So in the end I think I am ok with the change to the Captiva.

Yes and I agree to wandrinstar, it is really one of the best looking SUV's out there in Thailand at the moment. As for Diesel or not, I do not drive that much per year that it will really benefit. I used to drive 30-40k a year but no more. In the last couple of years it was not so much. I do more kms on my motorbikes then on the car. But with that goodlooking Crossover SUV I might add a few kms here and there and go to the countryside to explore the beauty of Thailand by car.

Good for you, that you bought the car you wanted, that's the most important thing.

But what do you mean by this ?

With the Pajero Sport, I just could not get friends with that car.

Edited by MJCM

GM continues its world badgeneering, and Opel Antara is a Daewoo/Chev Captiva in Scandinavia. A test says its 2,2 diesel isnt to bad, thirsty tho, but the rest is dated and not worth its money compared to modern competition. And dated it is, Daewoo Captiva was sold in Scandinavia some 8 years ago. 2,4 petrol impossible to sell due to its fuelconsumption and lack of tourque

laugh.png Unfortunately l read all that lot and my conclusion is you don't understand 4x4 auto trans.cowboy.gif

Strange how l regularly see manuals off at the stop light drags in my auto while they're searching for second. Also there are different ratios to choose from with the aid of a handy lever to get you up major inclines etc. My conclusion is you've driven one in the ''get me up that mountain'' ratio.laugh.png .

Forgot, Vigo first gear ratio, auto, 2.8 to1, Manual, 4.3 to 1. You do the maths. smile.png .

Still miles to low geared, that and a trucks got no revs. A tugboat has a Massive Engine but it aint no Donzi. What u tryin to sell us.?.That a Truck is a Sports Car, Its a Freakin Truck, nowt wrong with that is there ?.. No, cause i don't understand Auto, ive only had them for 45 years.,and still prefer a manual except in traffic jams. Just listen to a Spivo in 1St , 6 Foot and its a Screaming ready to change..cheesy.gif

Still miles to low geared, that and a trucks got no revs. A tugboat has a Massive Engine but it aint no Donzi. What u tryin to sell us.?.That a Truck is a Sports Car, Its a Freakin Truck, nowt wrong with that is there ?.. No, cause i don't understand Auto, ive only had them for 45 years.,and still prefer a manual except in traffic jams. Just listen to a Spivo in 1St , 6 Foot and its a Screaming ready to change..cheesy.gif

2,8 to 1 is on par with yaris, vios, mazda2 and most others in auto 1st

ad to that vigo/tuna being faster than Craptiva diesel 0-100 and much faster 50-150kmh, and leaves Craptiva 2,4 petrol totally in the dust, I sometimes fail to see the disadvantage of high end pickupscowboy.gif

But what do you mean by this ?

With the Pajero Sport, I just could not get friends with that car.

I have nothing against the Pajero I just didn't feel that this car appeals to me. Therefore I did not bring it into consideration.

Come mon guys where do you need a Porsche acceleration in Thailand? Mostly there are traffic jams everywhere anyway, no real big, wide and free motorways like in Europe where you could use that kind of acceleration anyway.

KBB . Apart that a Ferang, imo , looks a bit of a Dick Head in one , when a Civic Manual blows most things away for a reasonably priced and comfortable Car. A Single Cab is fine for ferangs to Cart Thai Family around, if it rains Rope n Sheet em Over with a nice Tarp.. The O.P. clearly doesn't want to look a Prat screaming away from the Lights. Sorry, im a Purist. Trucks is For Humpin Goods, not for Posturing , and Pretending.. As an aside, a Ferang in a Truck saw us having a Beer, and joined us. He told me my ride gave many problems. I asked him what exactly went wrong with his, that prompted him to buy a Navara ?. Never ad one Mate. Beer sputtered everywhere. O.K. you use a Truck it to Suit You, but most are Pussey Whipped into a Truck..then buy a Jazz or. Yaristotle to go Lotus.drunk.gif

Never mind, you still don't understand the basics. Torque multiplication via converter etc etc. wink.png

Put your manual motor in first, along side an auto in first, drag them in first, the auto is miles ahead. rolleyes.gif

Don't care how long you have driven autos, you don't understand the basics. laugh.png

Go back and read your post about Vigo auto first gear, total <deleted>.

You Boy, hold the FOOTBRAKE DOWN, rev the <deleted> of it , AND LET FLY. My Kids are nearly 40, ive heard all the Crap off them. When your Balls Drop , call me back, you are starting to sound an idiot.clap2.gif . Even my Wife said the Spivos 1St gear just revved and went nowhere. Bit like the Lights.USELESS on Dipped. But im wrong again.violin.gif

You Boy, hold the FOOTBRAKE DOWN, rev the <deleted> of it , AND LET FLY. My Kids are nearly 40, ive heard all the Crap off them. When your Balls Drop , call me back, you are starting to sound an idiot.clap2.gif . Even my Wife said the Spivos 1St gear just revved and went nowhere. Bit like the Lights.USELESS on Dipped. But im wrong again.violin.gif

Yep, you wrong again. rolleyes.gif

Only goes to show how little some of you know,and how few miles you realy do. Not one complaint yet of DM Flywheel disintigrating at about 50 K Miles .Thats about par for any hard driven Ford in Europe. Wait till you get the repair bills caused from fast take offs.It will be nice to see a New Captiveo on the road, driven by a Gentleman, and not Sid Yobbo in his Oiler .coffee1.gif

Only goes to show how little some of you know,and how few miles you realy do. Not one complaint yet of DM Flywheel disintigrating at about 50 K Miles .Thats about par for any hard driven Ford in Europe. Wait till you get the repair bills caused from fast take offs.It will be nice to see a New Captiveo on the road, driven by a Gentleman, and not Sid Yobbo in his Oiler .coffee1.gif

120 ambulances on Dmax chassie so far delivered by a friends company back home. They all do 4-500k km of hard service before ambulance-unit is moved to a new chassie. No engine problems. Plenty of brake issues. All 3,0 VG

I did 250,000 MILES in a 3 ltr Ford Granada auto and near 200,000 MILES in a Volvo 2.8 auto, no probs except a band in the Ford trans (no not a rubber one). I did oodles of MILES in heavy goods vehicles too wai.gif, not to mension my drag race stuff so your argument that we don't drive enough to understand how things work is a bit daft.

PS. Tell your wife to move the seat nearer the pedals.biggrin.png