Foreign Cigarettes In Bangkok

LawLiETa

yr definition of foreign cigarettes ?

Marlboro L&M are all available at 7/11 24/7

The Marlboros are not the same as in the US. They are made here. Also, I think the LM's are a Thai Brand and are not the same as L"&"M

I know there has been law suits filed regarding importing cigarettes in the past because, as I understand it, Thailand pretty much bans the import of foreign cigarettes for sale.

check the cigarette-box, most of the thai cigarettes are produced in the Phillipines.

Over the years, Thailand has sparred with neighboring Philippines over the fiscal treatment of cigarette imports from that country.
In order to maintain profitability, TTM has been working to reduce production costs, distribute products more efficiently and expand related businesses.

Despite the recent economic slowdown, multinational tobacco companies continue to invest in the Philippines. Philip Morris International is in the process of expanding its leaf tobacco storage capacity. The company wants to transform Subic Freeport, a former U.S. naval base, into a leaf distribution hub for the Asia Pacific market. Leaf from countries such as Thailand and Indonesia will be shipped for processing to PMI cigarette factories in the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and other Asian countries.

http://www.tobaccore...rticle_id=11058

But that had a serious impact on the quality.

The problem, they prepare the tobacco in the storage centers the Phillipines with certain chemicals,

that they did not use on the US or european market.

While it is no problem, to get a US Mallboro in the Hard Rock Cafe in Manila,

it is a problem, to find them in bkk.

http://tobaccocontro...ppl_2/ii71.full

Edited by DisainaM

Marlboro's with the "Made In USA" stamp on the pack, therefore using U.S. tobacco, used to be everywhere throughout Thailand when the legal distribution and sale of foreign tobacco products was prohibited in Thailand. Because the U.S. government, at the behest of U.S. cigarette companies, leaned very heavily on the Thai government stop this "unfair trade practice" of preventing the legal distribution and sale of foreign tobacco products in Thailand, the Thai government "opened" the market to foreign brands around 1991 or so. No marketing was permitted as the foreign tobacco companies had much more money than the Thai Tobacco Monopoly and therefore could easily outspend the TTM with signage, magazine ads, etc.

Foreign tobacco companies were arguably better off in Thailand before 1991 as a thriving smuggling biz. of foreign cigarettes into Thailand helped these foreign companies' sales volumes and therefore their bottom lines as well (cigarettes are a volume biz i.e. a high number of cigarettes have to be sold for the tobacco companies to make a profit). No ugly health warnings on the packs either, just cigarettes using the higher grade tobacco from the U.S.

Everyone has an opinion about the health effects of smoking. I used to smoke a pack a day but quit cold turkey many moons ago never to start again, although I'll ALWAYS want just one, I promise, just one and only one. Pleeease, just one... violin.gif

Also, I think the LM's are a Thai Brand and are not the same as L"&"M

Thais call them LM actual is L&M as seen in picture available in Thailand by the same company that owns L&M.

Taste waste there is definitely a huge difference between a local L&M and other L&M you can find overseas due to a huge price difference you pay for consumption here.

As for the brand they are the same unless i am missing a brand really call LM here in Thailand.

34882-rotten-teeth-are-prized-in-thailand--lm-cigarettes-promise-to-rot-your-teeth-the-fastest-chaing-mai-thailand.jpg

Also, I think the LM's are a Thai Brand and are not the same as L"&"M

Thais call them LM actual is L&M as seen in picture available in Thailand by the same company that owns L&M.

Taste waste there is definitely a huge difference between a local L&M and other L&M you can find overseas due to a huge price difference you pay for consumption here.

As for the brand they are the same unless i am missing a brand really call LM here in Thailand.

34882-rotten-teeth-are-prized-in-thailand--lm-cigarettes-promise-to-rot-your-teeth-the-fastest-chaing-mai-thailand.jpg

Thanks for that, I never noticed the "&" because as you say, they call the LMs. L&Ms are sold in the US but I think they are considered generics, for lack of a better term, They are one of the cheapest cigarettes you can buy. They are cheaper than Marlboro in Thailand too but not as cheap as the Wonders. I actually think the L&Ms in Thailand taste better than the ones in the US ... the opposite is true for Marlboros.

Everyone has an opinion about the health effects of smoking. I used to smoke a pack a day but quit cold turkey many moons ago never to start again, although I'll ALWAYS want just one, I promise, just one and only one. Pleeease, just one... violin.gif

It is when I am in a bar or having a coffee feel like one the most. The feeling passes soon enough.. and being an ex smoker, i now loathe cigarette smokers blowing it my way biggrin.png

• 6 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I found an archived post that is still correct and thank you to the person who answered. Dunhill isn't Natural American Spirit, but dang close. I was there a few days ago and the description is right on. I'm new to living here permanently and

"go to Patpong soi 2 by the Foodland, You will see small stools selling cigs they have all the imported one such as dunhill, davidoff, silk cut and few others"