Bike License In Uk Or Wait To Do It In Thailand?

aridion

I am considering getting a motorcycle license in the UK. The main reason being that I intend to move back to Thailand within the next 18 months and plan to use a bike as my mode of transport..

Has anyone any experience with this? Or do you guys think that I could wait to do it in Thailand instead? Are there a lot of hoops to go through by getting licensed in Thailand?

Thanks in Advance.

Aridion.

I had a Thai bike licence before gaining one in the UK and i'd say there's no real comparison in the process. You have to do some training and you will be properly tested in the UK. That's not the case in Thailand.

It's easy to get a Thai licence but it doesn't necessarily mean you can ride a bike. You' ll need all the help you can get riding on Thai roads. If you can afford the time and money to take the UK test then do so. You will be better equipped to deal with riding in Thailand.

I found my Thai licence useful when I returned to England. You can use it for a year before needing to take the UK test.

I didn't have to sit in the class room, so i just practice on the traffic regulations on computer a few minutes,

then did the theory test, eye test etc, perhaps 2-3 hour including waiting.

then go back another day for practical test, which is a joke btw, perhaps a hour including waiting, the test itself is 3 min. I rented a car on the spot from someone so i made car too

I bluffed it. I got.a car licence after showing my UK one and doing a couple of reaction and vision checks. I then went back and applied for a mc lic. Luckily, the girl behind the counter thought the moped entitlement was good enough and issued the licence.

The actual process of learning to ride 'big' bikes in Thailand took a lot longer and was quite painful - to both body and wallet.

Get the license in Thailand, it's much much cheaper and easier.

Then take some of tens of thousands of baht you saved on the uk licence and spend it on training (also in Thailand). As you know the driving culture and standards are very different here so even if you do the license in the uk you'll still need to learn the ropes here which is at least half the battle. Most of what they'll teach you in the uk will apply to either passing a uk bike test or adhering to very strict uk road laws and both are pretty much irrelevant here.

Edited by JonnyF