Bangkok Goes Global To Woo Back Tourists

webfact

INTERNATIONAL CAMPAIGN

BMA goes global to woo back tourists

SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

504px-Bangkok_montage_2.jpg

Bangkok, file photo. Source: wikimedia

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is blitzing the world with its first international campaign, "Bangkok Is Waiting for You".

"This campaign will try to boost tourism as the capital recovers from the recent flood crisis," Deputy Governor Taya Teepsuwan said yesterday.

Spots on US-based business-news channel CNBC are inviting business travellers and premium tourists to log on to bangkokiswaitingforyou.com to join online activities and possibly win a lucky prize. The campaign was launched on December 5 and the online contest will end next month.

More than 40,000 people from around the world have marked "like" on Facebook.

International arrivals fell by 30 per cent during the inundation from September to November, so the campaign was initiated to draw widespread attention and encourage both leisure travellers and businesspeople to return to the city.

Participants will be asked to create their own wish list by selecting from a photo gallery their favourite places in Bangkok.

The grand prize is a fully paid trip for two to Bangkok including air tickets and Bt70,000 worth of accommodations, spa and meals at the Mandarin Oriental.

The BMA will work with the Tourism Authority of Thailand and the Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau to continue wooing general tourists and business travellers back to the Kingdom, Taya said.

The administration will go on a roadshow to Moscow, Berlin, London and Dubai to promote the city, she added.

The central government has set its target for next year at 19 million international tourists, similar to the figure projected for this year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-30

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole country should be doing a campaign and should aim to be as good as the "Malaysia, truly Asia" series.

What also needs to be understood is that every negative event (tuktuk drivers, jetski operators, bus crash, riot, flood, murder, gogo bar in residential areas etc. etc.) has an impact on potential tourists.

I think that the tourist administration forgot...

Premium tourists look for the following:

- Premium attractions (many of them are still damaged and/or flooded)

- Premium services that cater to their needs (part of providing a service is ensuring that people are not scammed, this is a government service)

- Premium infrastructure to make their trip as easy as possible (I just returned from BKK, and can tell you getting anywhere outside of the city was a nightmare with the flooding, absolutely no information provided in any tourist spots on what was flooded, and how to get places).

Businesspeople look for the following in Thailand:

- A low cost labor workforce (the government will shoot this out of the air with their wage strategies, word is already out that Thailand isn't as cheap as other places anymore for labor).

- New business opportunities

- Probably less advertised, access to a good lifestyle for their foreign workers (this means a comparatively low cost lifestyle providing an incentive to get good quality foreign staff stationed in the kingdom). Thailand is comparatively not that much cheaper than my lifestyle in New Zealand anymore, believe it or not.

In general , global business looks at doing business abroad where a cooperative local government is willing to allow work to be undertaken with as little interference and barriers as possible, to maximize profit and balance risk and profit.

For those not with their heads to the ground in the business world, the word is out on the streets (particularly in Japan) that Thailand is not the place to continue business, let alone make new business. Did you notice Vietnam GDP was just announced at 9.6%? What was Thailands estimated GDP? 3.?%? Thailand does not present a balanced risk and profit situation for people looking to make new business in the country at this time.

Their terms and conditions read - quote

This Contest and these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of Singapore without regard to the conflict of laws. Each contestant irrevocably submits to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Singapore courts.

Have I missed a momentous occasion in Thai-Singapore relations that BMA is now run from Singapore? That might explain a lot!

I don't see any photos of Soi Cowboy or Nana Plaza? That's what most Western visitors want to see. If the want to see old temples, they will go to Cambodia. If they want to see pristine beaches, they will go to Bali or Hawaii or Australia. If they want to go somewhere to get ripped off, they will come to Thailand. Any way, that's what my friends are saying in the US.

This Contest and these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of Singapore without regard to the conflict of laws. Each contestant irrevocably submits to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Singapore courts.

Have I missed a momentous occasion in Thai-Singapore relations that BMA is now run from Singapore? That might explain a lot!

The Thai habit of copy and paste comes to mind.

Just forgot to replace Singapore with Thailand.

The first thing they need to do is sort out that airport. On Tuesday there were only 4 immigration officers processing 2000-3000 people. 3 hours was the time it took to get through. I have been coming to Thailand on and off for 12 years, this is my 12th visit. It's also my last. I will not be degraded and treated like a piece of meat by Thai customs or Thai anyone. Shocking. Appalling. There are now far better options in Asia ( especially the places where those horrible no-frills airlines ringing in thousands of bogans from Australia and Russia don't go ). Other places where people smile and welcome tourists ( like they used to do here ). Places that don't flood and have political turmoil and close down airports. I dare not name my new place of choice lest Jetstar or Air Asia get a hold of it! Thailand, you have lost the plot.

Edited by metisdead
Font resized.

Not sure how much it costs but Thai Airways are advertising on the pitch side electronic advertising of every premier league game I have seen in the UK.

They know that the UK premier league football is seen worldwide so they are reaching a very wide audience, wonder how it is working for them

that's where the true PM was recently

The first thing they need to do is sort out that airport. On Tuesday there were only 4 immigration officers processing 2000-3000 people. 3 hours was the time it took to get through. I have been coming to Thailand on and off for 12 years, this is my 12th visit. It's also my last. I will not be degraded and treated like a piece of meat by Thai customs or Thai anyone. Shocking. Appalling. There are now far better options in Asia ( especially the places where those horrible no-frills airlines ringing in thousands of bogans from Australia and Russia don't go ). Other places where people smile and welcome tourists ( like they used to do here ). Places that don't flood and have political turmoil and close down airports. I dare not name my new place of choice lest Jetstar or Air Asia get a hold of it! Thailand, you have lost the plot.

Wow. I know they are slow at immigration, but I've never waited 3 hours, and hope I never do. That's deplorable! Amazing Thailand.

Just what is a premium tourist anyway, someone who flies in first class, stays in a 5* hotel and hires a limousine and chauffeur rather than a taxi.

So the airline makes money, the foreign run hotel makes money, the foreign hire company makes money, but what do the Thais get? A low wage and tips if they are lucky.

Now contrast the average tourist, he stays in a budget to 2* hotel, usually run by Thais, he eats in Thai restaurants and roadside stalls. He uses Buses, tuk-tuks, taxis, in fact everything he spends goes into Thai pockets.

Just what is a premium tourist anyway, someone who flies in first class, stays in a 5* hotel and hires a limousine and chauffeur rather than a taxi.

So the airline makes money, the foreign run hotel makes money, the foreign hire company makes money, but what do the Thais get? A low wage and tips if they are lucky.

Now contrast the average tourist, he stays in a budget to 2* hotel, usually run by Thais, he eats in Thai restaurants and roadside stalls. He uses Buses, tuk-tuks, taxis, in fact everything he spends goes into Thai pockets.

Great post, and what you said was spot on, they have not got all their chairs in 1 room, bleeding ridiculous thinking, thinking how and what they do, fly-hotel-food, it's about time someone put these tourist spokespersons in a sack and give it a hell off a shaking to knock the sense back. That 1 week wealthy tourist is contributing sweet f all into the economy, it's the foreign European type tourist that comes here 2 or 3 times a year for holidays that keep local people in work, who in turn spend this money among other local venders. These Well to do types are not the ones that get ripped off, hence the reason nothing much is done to stop the menace. ++out of sight out of mind.

Not sure how much it costs but Thai Airways are advertising on the pitch side electronic advertising of every premier league game I have seen in the UK.

They know that the UK premier league football is seen worldwide so they are reaching a very wide audience, wonder how it is working for them

They reported losses of B4.8Billion for 3/4 of last year.

Many so scare come here to Thai any more cause never cant imagine or know when start next local's self made what ever kind crisis what get turists out from here also visa rule changes and in accident always about always foreigner is quilty without reason... May TAT or turist police etc. need make more safety for foreigner to stay in here and give more english language information and more safety to stay here without pay for mafia and corrupt and be scam victim. This is good country and nice for stay but some time make me afraid...

I have an Idea, when a tourist goes out of Thailand and has a tour of the the rest of the countries, on re-entry immirgration should give them a 60 day visa on the border. welcomeani.gif

Yep that's right I just said 60 days on the border. After this visa expires then immirgration could simply look at your passport to see how many times you have been in and out. Let's say it's the third time you have been in and out then issue a 15 day visa.

Maybe this post might cause a storm of posts but I dont think one post could disagree that this would help tourism in a huge way in Bangkok too the small Islands.

Edited by benbear

benbear how would that attract tourists?

Plenty of backpackers would benefit for starters.

Ever since they limited the entry stamps at land border checkpoints to 15 days backpacking and budget tourism has been on decline in Thailand, in stark contrast to those neighbouring countries, where it is growing. At the very least Thailand should offer an online visa for use at the border checkpoints so those longer term tourists to the region can avoid the hassle and cost of going to a Thai Embassy or Consulate in person.

Vietnam and Cambodia offer tourist visas online, one wonders why Thailand still lags behind in this regard.

Only took you 3 hours to get through, that's some going so I applaud the 4 immigration officers on duty for their speed at processing people, you say 2 to 3 thousand people, so lets take the lower figure of 2000 people and divide by 4, that equates to 500 persons per immigration officer , divide by the 3 hours you said, that equals 180 minutes which means that 11.11 persons average were processed every 1 minute by the 4 officers, or 2.77 persons per minute per officer average. IMO your talking a complete load of rubbish, but up to you if you want to IMO post bullsh*t.

Wow. I know they are slow at immigration, but I've never waited 3 hours, and hope I never do. That's deplorable! Amazing Thailand.

Never had over 30 min (on incoming queues), which is easily beaten by incoming queues over in the US, especially transit-points such as Newark, NJ. Even outgoing (domestic) there is nuts.

Let's hope only having 4 officers on duty was due to sickness (strike?) and not something that will continue - there has always been a lot of them when I land here over the past years (*knock on wood*).

After many years traveling here myself I have seen things change as all tourist places do, But take the great with all the bad you see and I will still come back. I'm not sure what you do to get such bad karma and treated so badly. Maybe it not Thailand but yourself, take a long look in the mirror. What do you see?

My heart goes out to you! Fancy having to mix with the hoi polloi who flew on the cheap airlines. They should have a special line for "quality" passengers so they can walk (a travellator would be better) straight through with just a wave of their First world passports and a flash of the Rolex. A limo service close to the Immigration doors and a baggage delivery service to all 5* hotels would also be a great idea.

It is appalling that Immigration staff processing ~4 passengers/minute (by your figures) didn't have time to smile, wai, kiss your arse and say "Have a nice day!"

They should have a special line for "quality" passengers so they can walk (a travellator would be better) straight through with just a wave of their First world passports and a flash of the Rolex.

There are two fast track schemes in place, fact that most people ignore, but these in the know and flying premium cabins and/or have elite status with a given airline will virtually never wait at BKK airport for immigration. They will wait for their luggage later..... At the end all will exit the same time from the terminal.

IMO its the tourist Visa of only thirty days (for some countries at least) without having to apply and pay for a 3 month Visa (that really only is a two month Visa) is the greatest impediment to encouraging the real tourists, retirees etc to stay longer.

I find the trip back to Malaysia and the welcome received there is enough encouragement to take a longer break in that country.

A 3 month tourist Visa would make a big difference (even if it meant validating your ability to sustain yourself in the Kingdom) would change the tourist numbers as many would stay longer rather than head off to other countries rather than spending their time and money in Thailand.

My next trip includes two weeks in Thailand, 4 weeks in Vietnam (yes a Visa is needed $70 pp) and 3 weeks in Malaysia. My preference would be to spend alll my time in Thailand with my Australian wife.

Cheers Bunter

At Immigration I have had wait times of 1hr 30m leaving the country and over 45m when arriving at Suvarnabhumi. Of course if I add in the bus journeys from the plane to the terminal (which seem a regular occurrence now, even on the full fare carriers...) then those times on arrival increase by some margin.

On leaving that particular time tensions were high in the immigration area, with fights nearly breaking out among passengers trying to jump queues. Nightmare! Thankfully it has only been that bad on occasion (I fly maybe twice a month).