Yingluck To Face Impeachment Concerning The Reissue Of Thaksin's Passport

webfact

interesting how people look at the charge of embezzlement, yet fail to remember he did more for the lower class people of thailand than anyone in recent history. the real criminals are the people who took part in and initiated the coup.

No he didn't!!! he is NO Robin Hood!!! All of his policies were either not implemented as unworkable or if so, failed to do any good. They PERCEIVED him as being good for them but all he did was nearly bankrupt the hospitals and use the people to fight for his own purposes "to rape the country" through illegal or so means to boost his already overflowing coffers!!!

Do you sincerely believe that impositioning his younger sister (with zilch political experience) in the premiership's role solely to attain his amnesty is GOOD for the country???? It is sheer lunacy and an irresponsible act of gigantic proportions!!!

She is clearly not up to it, as are the rabble posing as ministers who don't know what they are doing or are supposed to be doing!!!

• Like 1

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so was it legal to issue the passport or not?

It's probably a very grey area in Thai law.

Aiding and abetting a criminal?

Issuing an official document without due process?

Corruption?

I would say that there would not be too many states that would issue a passsport to a convicted felon who broke the terms of his bail and helped to fund a violent, anarchic movement against a democratically elected government

Taskin was the first Thai politician to realise that a constituency existed outside Bangkok.Thai Rak Thai was the first government to introduce a pension scheme, a national health scheme, rice stablisation price scheme, village grants to set up community industry and other rural based schemes. So whatever you think about Taskin, I can assure you the majority of Thais will welcome Taskin back with open arms.

• Like 1

Typical Yingluck responses...

I didn't know,

I was not involved,

and my favorite

It's not responsibility

Thai politicians should at least put some effort into their lies and dismissals.

I wonder who is going to judge the impeachment proceedings? Parliament? The Corruption commission guys?

Sounds just like Barack Obama. Just add, "It's George Bush's fault".

You are so off in your stupid comment, I fail to have the energy to show you your own stupidity.

He must have done something good for the poorer people, they voted his party back with a landslide victory.

The people asking this question seem to me like the People's front for Judea in the Life of Brian 'what did the Romans do for us" ? Cheap health, education, etc etc etc

He must have done something good for the poorer people, they voted his party back with a landslide victory.

The people asking this question seem to me like the People's front for Judea in the Life of Brian 'what did the Romans do for us" ? Cheap health, education, etc etc etc

"they voted his party back with a landslide victory."

Hardly a landslide, had it been a landslde, they would not have had to coalition with so many other groups. A landslide would have been to get over 300 seats on their own.

"Yingluck quickly formed a coalition with the Chartthaipattana (19 seats), Chart Pattana Puea Pandin (7 seats), and Phalang Chon (7 seats), and Mahachon (1 seat), and New Democracy (1 seat) parties, giving her a total of 300 seats."

Edited by wxyz

Hardly a landslide, had it been a landslde, they would not have had to coalition with so many other groups. A landslide would have been to get over 300 seats on their own.

"Yingluck quickly formed a coalition with the Chartthaipattana (19 seats), Chart Pattana Puea Pandin (7 seats), and Phalang Chon (7 seats), and Mahachon (1 seat), and New Democracy (1 seat) parties, giving her a total of 300 seats."

The PTP won 53% of the seats and was able to form a government without forming a coalition.

The PTP won 53% of the seats and was able to form a government without forming a coalition.

her brother won in a landslide, not her

"Thai general election, 2005: Then incumbent prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra of Thai Rak Thai won 374 out of 500 seats in the House of Representatives"

"It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything". - Joseph Stalin/mr T

Edited by wxyz

The usual boring comments from the usual anti Thaksin brigade. They all judge Thaksin by western standards, they forget this is Thailand and Thais have different standards. It is not as commonly charged that Thais are stupid and uneducated, they may be uneducated but they are far from stupid. Every Thai know that to be a successful businessman in Thailand you have to be corrupt. Corruption is the accepted way of life, this is still the land of the godfathers.

interesting how people look at the charge of embezzlement, yet fail to remember he did more for the lower class people of thailand than anyone in recent history. the real criminals are the people who took part in and initiated the coup.

As an observer 'at-arms-length' I have to agree - Thaksin was good for Thailands majority. I believe that is the role of an effective government.

No respectable government is going to turn a blind eye to yet another Thai coup, as many such governments did in September of 2006. If there's another coup in Thailand then the land of smiles becomes the new old Burma/Myanmar. The Thai military does need to be checked and subordinated to civilian authority, so now is a good a time as any to accomplish the radical change. Thailand simply needs the structure and power flow of a "normal" democracy, come hell or high water.

Were Thaksin to return (when, actually), he'd shock and surprise everyone if he became a Nelson Mandella, whom Thaksin cynically pretends to both respect and like. (Has Mandella ever said anything of Thaksin? If so, I've never heard of or seen anything of it.) Thaksin is a moral vacuum that sucks in only power and money.

Pheu Thai is the legitimately and democratically elected government of Thailand that has an electoral mandate to govern the country. The people who voted for Badluck Yingluck accept her as Thailand's first female PM so are willing to temper their criticism of her inexperience in government. PTP needs to turn away from Thaksin for the good of the country, however, PTP isn't ever going to do that.

Thailand needs a unifying figure who has the stature of a Mandella, a Vaclav Havel, a Suu Kyi.But there isn't a single soul to consider. Methinks the tsunami of 2004 and the floods that still affect us may suggest Thailand's only way out of its never ending conundrum of expediency over any considered or rational approach. These people can't reconcile themselves, period, because they have only self interest whilst paying lip service to notions of an accommodating society..

If only someone, once, would obey a law. The place is moral and legal anarchy, always and only worsening.

• Like 1

Taskin was the first Thai politician to realise that a constituency existed outside Bangkok.Thai Rak Thai was the first government to introduce a pension scheme, a national health scheme, rice stablisation price scheme, village grants to set up community industry and other rural based schemes. So whatever you think about Taskin, I can assure you the majority of Thais will welcome Taskin back with open arms.

Absolutely right. Thaksin is the only Thai politician so far to have been able to create a national party. Before him (and also after with the Abhisit government) the government was formed by a coalition of local feudal barons, which create very weak governments.

The main reason the Abhisit government was a total failure is because Abhisit was the puppet of a collection of various, and often opposite, interests (democrats, army, PAD, BJT ..) who had only in common the fear of Thaksin return. You can't run a country like that, that's why the electors rightly gave a majority to PT.

He must have done something good for the poorer people, they voted his party back with a landslide victory. The people asking this question seem to me like the People's front for Judea in the Life of Brian 'what did the Romans do for us" ? Cheap health, education, etc etc etc
"they voted his party back with a landslide victory." Hardly a landslide, had it been a landslde, they would not have had to coalition with so many other groups. A landslide would have been to get over 300 seats on their own. "Yingluck quickly formed a coalition with the Chartthaipattana (19 seats), Chart Pattana Puea Pandin (7 seats), and Phalang Chon (7 seats), and Mahachon (1 seat), and New Democracy (1 seat) parties, giving her a total of 300 seats."

53% maybe a win

but it is not a land slide

Absolutely right. Thaksin is the only Thai politician so far to have been able to create a national party. Before him (and also after with the Abhisit government) the government was formed by a coalition of local feudal barons, which create very weak governments. The main reason the Abhisit government was a total failure is because Abhisit was the puppet of a collection of various, and often opposite, interests (democrats, army, PAD, BJT ..) who had only in common the fear of Thaksin return. You can't run a country like that, that's why the electors rightly gave a majority to PT.

The only reason people voted in the PT was they stood to make money

The opinion of my Thai wife, what credentials do you have, to have more say than she does

Another waste of time by Abhistit and his party, still unable to accept their repudiation by the voters of Thailand. Maybe one day he can actually win an election. Until then, perhaps he should be content to caucus with an alleged murderer and be grateful he receives a salary. I don't know what else he could do as he never had any real experience or success in the private sector. This might explain why he is so popular with some foreigners.

Some of these comments are really disturbed. I don't think anyone of importance in Thailand pays much attention to the bitter sentiments expressed by middle aged and elderly caucasian foreign males frustrated by events they are unable to cope with, so you might just want to chill before some of your clogged arteries blow.

Edited by geriatrickid

Another waste of time by Abhistit and his party, still unable to accept their repudiation by the voters of Thailand. Maybe one day he can actually win an election. Until then, perhaps he should be content to caucus with an alleged murderer and be grateful he receives a salary. I don't know what else he could do as he never had any real experience or success in the private sector. This might explain why he is so popular with some foreigners.

Some of these comments are really disturbed. I don't think anyone of importance in Thailand pays much attention to the bitter sentiments expressed by middle aged and elderly caucasian foreign males frustrated by events they are unable to cope with, so you might just want to chill before some of your clogged arteries blow.

Before my clogged arteries blow I shall watch Porterhouse Blue once again.

I have some questions for you:

What do you think a Caucasian is?

Do you think that giving YS the role of PM based on her brother's family is the best way to select a leader?

Do you think that selecting a Chief of Police based on his family name is the best thing for law and order?

Do you think that selecting a Chief Justice based on who he is friends with is good for the judiciary?

Do you think that the PTP was elected on the basis of promised handouts or a sound manifesto?

Do you think that the 90 odd people killed at Tak Bai should receive the same level of justice as the 80 odd red shirts killed during the riots?

Who do you think should pay the price for torching all the businesses and town halls following Arisaman's tirade?

Do you think the Shinawatra/Damapong clan wll benefit in any way from business deals in Burma and Cambodia?

Do you think Chalerm should now do the right thing and ensure his sons face justice for the crimes he covered up?

Do you think that Thaksin's war on drugs dealt with people fairly?

That should do for starters.

• Like 1

Absolutely right. Thaksin is the only Thai politician so far to have been able to create a national party. Before him (and also after with the Abhisit government) the government was formed by a coalition of local feudal barons, which create very weak governments. The main reason the Abhisit government was a total failure is because Abhisit was the puppet of a collection of various, and often opposite, interests (democrats, army, PAD, BJT ..) who had only in common the fear of Thaksin return. You can't run a country like that, that's why the electors rightly gave a majority to PT.

The only reason people voted in the PT was they stood to make money

The opinion of my Thai wife, what credentials do you have, to have more say than she does

Yes, well, says it all doesn't it ................. ( my wife knows more than your wife...........)

Yes of course, all foreigners on Thai Visa are entirely dependent on their wives for their opinions, sustenance and continued well being............

We are but guests etc, except the only people who say that are the ones who choose to view themselves as guests....

It's the Thai way. and one dare not question that, hence ThaiVisa.

I always walk 5 paces behind mine but I do trust her to control the family finances.

Happy New mia

I don't see the impeachment having a chance of being sustained. Never heard of a passport being issued to a convicted criminal who is on the run from a prison term at home. But, the passport was revoked using a narrow reading of the law and reissued using a different narrow interpretation.

I see the PM as a puppet of her brother with Chalerm as the guide or control. This government already has it's hands full with the flooding and the normal running of the country. But they continue to ignore that while they get on with returning Khun Thaksin to Thailand.

The Democrats also need to do what they were elected to do and work for the betterment of the Thailand, spending all of their time on Thaksin is as much a waste of time as it is for the Puea Thai.

When Thaksin returns the Airport Blockade and the Rajprasong protests are likely to be mild in comparison, I just hope the government is ready.

Quite so.

He had expired his constitutional ('97) term as Caretaker PM.

He had gone to the palace, as constitutionally mandated,

and essentially it appears he was not renewed as caretaker PM.

There is no rule that says he should have been renewed.

He failed at his primary duty, and his party was believed to be culpable in that failure.

He return to public that evening 'speechless', and resigned the next day.

A week later he UNILATERALLY displaced his former Deputy PM as acting PM,

"Because the country needs me.". Calling himself The Prime Minister.

He never returned to the palace to have his 2nd term caretaker PM status

constitutionally confirmed as required by the '97 constitution.

And then went off to the UN to speak as 'Thailands Prime Minister'.

Besides the corruption in his regime, this abject arrogance, and defiance of constitutional protocols,

likely was the final straw for many observers, also likely noting he would only get worse with time.

As time appears to show for all to see.

Gosh, and here's silly old me thinking that the 2006 coup was merely a power grab by the old guard because they thought (correctly) that Mr Shinawatra was once again going to win the imminent election! How naive of me, whatever made me think that the Thai electorate might give two fingers to the coup enthusiasts, its not as if they have done it (twice) since.

Never mind, that nice Mr Vejjajiva will be along soon, helped no doubt by the generals. we can call it a "necessary suspension of democracy", sounds so much better than the military overthrowing an elected government!

Edited by JAG

Quite so.

He had expired his constitutional ('97) term as Caretaker PM.

He had gone to the palace, as constitutionally mandated,

and essentially it appears he was not renewed as caretaker PM.

There is no rule that says he should have been renewed.

He failed at his primary duty, and his party was believed to be culpable in that failure.

He return to public that evening 'speechless', and resigned the next day.

A week later he UNILATERALLY displaced his former Deputy PM as acting PM,

"Because the country needs me.". Calling himself The Prime Minister.

He never returned to the palace to have his 2nd term caretaker PM status

constitutionally confirmed as required by the '97 constitution.

And then went off to the UN to speak as 'Thailands Prime Minister'.

Besides the corruption in his regime, this abject arrogance, and defiance of constitutional protocols,

likely was the final straw for many observers, also likely noting he would only get worse with time.

As time appears to show for all to see.

Gosh, and here's silly old me thinking that the 2006 coup was merely a power grab by the old guard because they thought (correctly) that Mr Shinawatra was once again going to win the imminent election! How naive of me, whatever made me think that the Thai electorate might give two fingers to the coup enthusiasts, its not as if they have done it (twice) since.

Never mind, that nice Mr Vejjajiva will be along soon, helped no doubt by the generals. we can call it a "necessary suspension of democracy", sounds so much better than the military overthrowing an elected government!

Yes !!

Amazing the lengths they go to to obfuscate and obliquely justify the coup.

It will be interesting and probably entertaining to see their efforts justifying the next coup and the consequent street violence.

Love the "....this abject arrogance, and defiance of constitutional protocols......." , a statement which could not possibly apply to those that held the reins prior to the emergence of a populist politician.

Obviously JAG was not in Thailand at the moment. The coup was welcomed by most people.

Don't compare a Thai coup with one in south America or Africa.

It was the duty of the army to step in. There is no argument against that.

There was an election in 4 weeks.

Please describe again the duty of the army to step in...

Obviously JAG was not in Thailand at the moment. The coup was welcomed by most people.

The duty of the army is to defend the country and answer to the government.

It is not the duty of the army to kick out prime ministers that they don't approve of.

Simple really.

There was an election in 4 weeks.

Please describe again the duty of the army to step in...

Oh dear me. Pray tell what arrangements miffed, lapsed, caretaker pm Thaksin had taken to arrange such an election?

This woman may be smart in business but in politics she is dumber than dogshit! It doesn't matter if she knew about it or not <wink>...as PM she is ultimately responsible for her actions and those of her party in the parliament. Or as Harry Truman said, "The Buck stops here!" Oh...my bad! I forgot this is Thailand where no one is responsible for their actions.

The only thing dumber than dog shit is the utter failure of Thai people to accept who is in government and us non-Thais who get caught up in it.