Brother With Downs Syndrome

Andrew Mac

Hi everyone

I'll be working in Chiang Mai next year, and I'm hoping that my brother will be coming to visit a few times during the year.

He's really lovely, but he has Downs Syndrome, and I'd like to know if anyone knows of any centres in Chiang Mai where he might be able to go and spend a few hours every now and then while I'm at work. Of course, he'd be really happy just to stay home and watch DVDs all day ;-) ... but it would be really good if there was a place he could sometimes go to get some extra fun and games, plus a bit of extra social contact.

Actually, it doesn't even have to be a centre. A (formal or informal) club or social group might also be a good alternative, as long as they have responsible support and supervision.

Language isn't a real problem. He doesn't have great English skills anyway, and he's very good at communicating non-verbally!

So ... any ideas about where I might go to find anything like this? If I can get a few options before I leave, I can make sure that the rest of the family won't be worried about him coming over.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions people may have :-)

The only places I can think of would be the Chiang Mai Disabled Center http://disabled.infothai.com/center.htm

or

the Raintree Resource Center,

3 Charoen Muang Rd., P.O. Box 18, Chiang Mai 50000, Thailand; Tel. 66-53-262660; [email protected].

Good luck  :o

Thanks Ajarn, both of your suggestions sound like good places to start :-)