Thai Newspapers In London?

tariq

Hi, I'm learning Thai and wanted to know if you can buy any Thai papers in London? Or maybe I can subscribe to a service that will send me newspapers in the post?

I'm looking for something that isn't too heavy.. just some light readingto help me with my reading practice.

I don't want online access either but something in paper format that I can read on the Tube!

Thanks

Tariq...

You need to be a little bit careful as the Thai press, especially the popular Thai press, uses a lot of slang and colloquialisms, they also shorten words/phrases and commonly use ‘double meanings’ to avoid direct reference to people/events.

I’d suggest better reading can be found elsewhere, some of the better magazines are a good start as are some of the regional guides that you can find in Thai book stores.

Hi, I'm learning Thai and wanted to know if you can buy any Thai papers in London?

I don't want online access either but something in paper format that I can read on the Tube!

ThaiRath and around 5 thai gossip magazines are sold in an Asian grocery store in the main street of Chinatown. Forgot the name of the store. Not the one with lots of meat just inside. The one directly opposite the street. Next door to a newsagent that sells mostly chinese magazines. sorry for the poor directions, but it's easy to find.

-NM

I'd agree with Guest House here. Thai newspapers are not the way to go as the language is far too colloquial and idiosyncratic to be of any bebefit to the learner.

Your best bet would to try Arthur Probstain's Oriental Bookstore opposite the British Museum and find a Thai language novel, or better still try the publications department at SOAS for a copy of their degree coursebook which has specially prepared passages in Thai of varying levels aimed at the learner.

Don't know if this is any use to you. The BBC also have daily news available in Thai (as well as about 46 other languages).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/thai/

Not if the F&C Office have anything to do with it...

Bbc Abandon World Service To Thailand -See General topics

Re China Town Bookshops..

Theres a couple you can try including the one in Gerrard St opposite the Loong Fung supermarket but the one I used to pick up the South China Post in is on the Square next to the butchers shop and just opposite the pagoda and facing the Chinese pub on the corner :o

Don't know if this is any use to you. The BBC also have daily news available in Thai (as well as about 46 other languages).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/thai/

Not if the F&C Office have anything to do with it...

Bbc Abandon World Service To Thailand -See General topics

Yeah so i believe Rinrada. However, it's still working at the moment, so might be of use to the Op until he finds his supplies.

Popped into have a chat with the ladies at West-East Travel last week and noticed what appears to be a brand new Thai Supermarket about to open almost next door.

Called ......"Thai Smile" its located at the far end of Kingly Street (away from Hammersmith Tube Station) ...FIO... :o and might be worth checking out..