Australian Police Clearance

Does anyone know if the Thai authority's accept a police clearance certificate from one of the online clearance brokers. There are a number of them advertising on THAIVISA. Has anyone ever used one? Do they provide a genuine AFP certificate? It is difficult to get a clear answer from them, so I am a bit suspicious.

I am in Australia, but have no access to postal services (working remote) and will be getting my proof of savings/income and my police clearance when I return to LOS in three weeks, in order to renew my retirement visa.

Thanks

You only need a police clearence if you apply for a Non O/A(long stay) visa at the Thai Embassy in Austraila. As LB said you do not need one to extend your visa in Thailand.

Edited by wayned

It would be best to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa in Oz before your return as that will be required and will eliminate any problem getting on aircraft without onward travel within 30 days as is often required for visa exempt entry.

Lopburi, as I said in my original post, I have no access to Australian Post from my location in Australia, therefore I cannot apply for a visa before departing. I am in a very, very remote location. I have bought an Air Asia Hat Yai to Kuala Lumpur ticket to show at the airport if they ask.

As I think I am going to have to start the ball rolling again, I was asking whether, if they require a police certificate, one from the AFP brokers would be acceptable.

Ta

Frank, if you plan to enter Thailand with 30 day visa exempt status, then you will be applying for a 90-day "O" visa from within Thailand and you won't need the police clearance. Not all Immigration offices will allow you to convert 30 day visa exempt status to an 90 day "O" visa. Chiang Mai and Bangkok do. Others may as well. Then during the final 30 days of that 90-day visa you can obtain a 12-month extension due to retirement. Again, you won't need a police clearance if you do it within Thailand, but you will need to meet the financial requirements.

A potential problem in doing this is that you may not be allowed to board the plane in Australia without an outward ticket valid during that 30 day visa-exempt period. Easy solution -- just purchase a cheap ticket to a neighboring country to be able to show to the airline -- a "throw away ticket". Presumably you can do this via the internet since you're asking questions on this forum.

Frank, if you plan to enter Thailand with 30 day visa exempt status, then you will be applying for a 90-day "O" visa from within Thailand and you won't need the police clearance. Not all Immigration offices will allow you to convert 30 day visa exempt status to an 90 day "O" visa. Chiang Mai and Bangkok do. Others may as well. Then during the final 30 days of that 90-day visa you can obtain a 12-month extension due to retirement. Again, you won't need a police clearance if you do it within Thailand, but you will need to meet the financial requirements. A potential problem in doing this is that you may not be allowed to board the plane in Australia without an outward ticket valid during that 30 day visa-exempt period. Easy solution -- just purchase a cheap ticket to a neighboring country to be able to show to the airline -- a "throw away ticket". Presumably you can do this via the internet since you're asking questions on this forum.
Nancy, He has already posted his situation previously on the forum and understands, I think, what is required. He has purchased an Air Asia ticket from Hat Yai to KL to fulfill the exit requirement so that he will not be denieded boarding. His remaining question was about the police check,which has now been answered. Edited by wayned

Hi Frankpelagic, When i got my 90 day Tourist Visa in march 2011 from the Thai Consulate in Sydney, they would not accept anything by post! it had to be all done in person or a courier, and i used a travel agent to do this for me at a minium cost, they have specialst couriers to do this.

Hope this Helps

Scoop1

PS - where abouts are you?

Frank, if you plan to enter Thailand with 30 day visa exempt status, then you will be applying for a 90-day "O" visa from within Thailand and you won't need the police clearance. Not all Immigration offices will allow you to convert 30 day visa exempt status to an 90 day "O" visa. Chiang Mai and Bangkok do. Others may as well. Then during the final 30 days of that 90-day visa you can obtain a 12-month extension due to retirement. Again, you won't need a police clearance if you do it within Thailand, but you will need to meet the financial requirements. A potential problem in doing this is that you may not be allowed to board the plane in Australia without an outward ticket valid during that 30 day visa-exempt period. Easy solution -- just purchase a cheap ticket to a neighboring country to be able to show to the airline -- a "throw away ticket". Presumably you can do this via the internet since you're asking questions on this forum.
Nancy, He has already posted his situation previously on the forum and understands, I think, what is required. He has purchased an Air Asia ticket from Hat Yai to KL to fulfill the exit requirement so that he will not be denieded boarding. His remaining question was about the police check,which has now been answered.

Thanks Wayned -- yes, I know that Frank has made several posts about his situation. That's why I was so specific in my response -- it doesn't seem like he has gained a full understanding of the process of the "two step" process for coming in on 30 day visa exempt status and ending up with a "retirement visa" (yeah -- I know that's not a proper term), all without leaving Thialand.

Next thing you know, he'll be asking us how he can get a medical certificate when he's currently in some remote area of Austrialia with nothing but working internet.

(Aside ... maybe I just don't understand the realities of Australia, but how can it be possible to be working someplace that is so remote that it isn't served by mail, courier services or a pack mule train that goes into the nearest town once a week, yet the place has internet service and presumably electricity?)

Edited by NancyL

Nancy, He has already posted his situation previously on the forum and understands, I think, what is required. He has purchased an Air Asia ticket from Hat Yai to KL to fulfill the exit requirement so that he will not be denieded boarding. His remaining question was about the police check,which has now been answered.
Thanks Wayned -- yes, I know that Frank has made several posts about his situation. That's why I was so specific in my response -- it doesn't seem like he has gained a full understanding of the process of the "two step" process for coming in on 30 day visa exempt status and ending up with a "retirement visa" (yeah -- I know that's not a proper term), all without leaving Thialand. Next thing you know, he'll be asking us how he can get a medical certificate when he's currently in some remote area of Austrialia with nothing but working internet. (Aside ... maybe I just don't understand the realities of Australia, but how can it be possible to be working someplace that is so remote that it isn't served by mail, courier services or a pack mule train that goes into the nearest town once a week, yet the place has internet service and presumably electricity?)
Believe it or not, there are still places in the US that are only accessable by air boat and the people speak a language that neiter you or I would understand. There are some very isolated places in Australia where there is electric and internet thanks to the local generator. Edited by wayned

NANCYL. Yes, you clearly don't have a grasp on the geography of Australia. I am getting a little tired of your snide remarks. If you don't want to offer sensible advice, having first read my post properly, don't bother answering. I asked another question regarding my situation a week or two ago, and, once again, having read my post incorrectly, you posted a snide reply. If you must know, I am working in a remote tribal Aboriginal community in East Arnhem land, Northern Territory, Australia, as a Remote Area Nurse Practitioner.. I don't need to justify myself to you, but for anyone elses interest, the only way out of here is by the Flying Doctor medical service, or a barge that comes every two weeks with supplies. There is a dirt road leading out, which would take you to a small town in about four hours, but it is currently cut off by the monsoon rains/recent cyclone. There is also a very expensive air charter service (There is a small dirt strip here).

The more I think about your reply, the less I want you to reply to any further posts I make. The community is serviced by satellite internet and phone, using technology you would not understand. The mules trains I will leave to you and your countrymen.

As you are not talking in one topic/thread but over many and readers can not be expected to search your posting history to respond to a current question you pose do not believe attack on those trying to be helpful is justified. If our information is not relevant just ignore or calmly advise why. Flames are not allowed. This thread is closed.