Pm Yingluck, Abhisit Top List Of Most Popular Politicians: Survey

Lite Beer

Which leads to the conclusion that the Thai electorate prefer the Shinawatras to the alternative.

Or prefers to be bought by them. Don't kid yourself. Thailand isn't a democracy. The democratic party here can't even campaign in Isaan without threat or reality of violence. Again, it doesn't mean Yingluck is smart or capable. It's politics, yes.

Part of democracy is to accept election results even if you don't like them.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would probably agree with you that Thailand is not a properly functioning democracy. I suspect our views would diverge when it comes to listing (by order of importance) the things which are preventing it being a properly functioning democracy.

Perhaps but thanks anyway for sparing us another speech about amart.

Back to the topic. Yingluck isn't anything close to the best Thailand could potentially offer as leaders any more than George W. Bush was for the USA.

lol. Bush Basher. They are rare in the internet nowadays but its always good laugh to see how hard they try...

btw. the topic is: Pm Yingluck, Abhisit Top List Of Most Popular Politicians

Which leads to the conclusion that the Thai electorate prefer the Shinawatras to the alternative.

Or prefers to be bought by them. Don't kid yourself. Thailand isn't a democracy. The democratic party here can't even campaign in Isaan without threat or reality of violence. Again, it doesn't mean Yingluck is smart or capable. It's politics, yes.

Like Russia, huh? Another non-democracy with elections that aren't elections.

That should be explained to the red-shirts. Or didn't you notice that their anti-coup protests only gained momentum well after an election?

Which leads to the conclusion that the Thai electorate prefer the Shinawatras to the alternative. Even if (as some assert) she is an airhead, who can't speak coherently, won't engage Abhisit in a TV debate, trawl this forum for all the other claims.....

Doesn't say much about the alternative!

Listen to both of you. This is no more a democracy than North Korea. She is an Airhead. And the flood would have been much less if they started to do the necessary when Chaing Mai flooded instead of worrying about big brothers passport. The flood was a PTP screw up because they started to think about the Thai people too late. I believe that getting Taksin back is the only thing we may see from this government that was promised in the campaign. Yingluck may have never said it but plenty of the now cabinet members did.

Like Russia, huh? Another non-democracy with elections that aren't elections.

Huh, like Russia? What is your problem?

Everyone is bad who isn't like you and or not follows what you fancy as they only way how thinks should be done right?

Huh, like Russia? What is your problem?

Everyone is bad who isn't like you and or not follows what you fancy as they only way how thinks should be done right?

I didn't say bad or good. Obviously talking about the lack of connection between elections and legitimate democracies.

Yingluck is not a politician, she is a Trojan Horse.

Not exactly.

The trojan horse kept a secret inside nobody expected.

Where is Yinglucks surprise when her campaign runs with the big spoiler "Thaksin thinks, PT acts"?

Thats not even Schroedingers cat. Everyone knows what you get here.

Not exactly.

Where is Yinglucks surprise when her campaign runs with the big spoiler "Thaksin thinks, PT acts"?

300 baht?

Seems to be a pretty pointless survey here as far as popularity of politicians is concerned as it seems to be missing the single most vital and obvious question that is worthy of discussion - who is the most popular politician???. It is hardly surprising that Yingluck is the most popular politician in the ruling party and it doesn't take a genius to work out that Abhisit is the most popular opposition politician.

The only interesting point is that corruption is voted the biggest problem given the often refered to poll stating that most Thais find it acceptable - maybe things are changing???

Not exactly.

300 baht?

300 Bhat, was that from the dems, BJT, PTP, ... ?

B)

BTW, as you were talking about Russia, politicians do their best to rig elections everywhere, even in "democracies" like the USA, congressional district rigging makes the outcome pre-determined...

The threats to democracy come from within, while the politicians keep pointing to the external threats (IMO).

Which leads to the conclusion that the Thai electorate prefer the Shinawatras to the alternative. Even if (as some assert) she is an airhead, who can't speak coherently, won't engage Abhisit in a TV debate, trawl this forum for all the other claims.....

Doesn't say much about the alternative!

Listen to both of you. This is no more a democracy than North Korea. She is an Airhead. And the flood would have been much less if they started to do the necessary when Chaing Mai flooded instead of worrying about big brothers passport. The flood was a PTP screw up because they started to think about the Thai people too late. I believe that getting Taksin back is the only thing we may see from this government that was promised in the campaign. Yingluck may have never said it but plenty of the now cabinet members did.

"This is no more a democracy than North Korea" - A little (lot) over the top. Thailand is still subject to international scrutiny, North Korea doesn't allow the international press in.

And this forum wouldn't exist in North Korea. The fact that you can make the comment above, which you are certainly entitled to do, is proof that Thailand is nothing like North Korea.

"This is no more a democracy than North Korea" - A little (lot) over the top. Thailand is still subject to international scrutiny, North Korea doesn't allow the international press in.

And this forum wouldn't exist in North Korea. The fact that you can make the comment above, which you are certainly entitled to do, is proof that Thailand is nothing like North Korea.

You do remember the Democrat Deputy Prime Ministers stance on International Observers don't you?

BANGKOK, March 24 -- Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban on Thursday said he disagreed with the idea to seek international observers to monitor the upcoming general election, saying he deemed it "inappropriate.".....................

http://www.mcot.net/...age/185964.html

and declared the UDD as being non respectful of Thailands sovereignity;

Mr Suthep said he wonders why the UDD does not respect Thailand's national sovereignty but respects foreigners by inviting them to be involved in the country's internal affairs.

Now why wouldn't he welcome foreign observers? No wonder the UDD were campaigning for a return of democracy (not "against the coup" as some posters on here insist).

Not exactly.

The western media especially BBC actually talked about Yingluck's massvotebuying as a breakthrough for women worldwide, an inspiration for Thai women, a new direction, hope for the rural poor etc.etc. I watched a lot of BBC at the time of the "election" and not once did they mention Trojan horses, so I guess everybody didn't expect it.

Some of my Thai friends still think that Yingluck being Thaksin's sister is a sort of passing coincidence, and that she is in the top slot because she is the best person for the job, they actually believe that. Unlike me, they just don't see her as a sort of talking hood ornament on the Takmobile.

For my part I just spent the day today buying icecream with Linlin, one of my partner's younger daughters, & Lin told me she is still having nightmares about seeing the Reds pouring buckets of human virus-laden blood onto the city pavement years ago. Another of my Thai friend's 'ruling elite' flower-stall trolley still has scorch marks where it was firebombed by the Red Mob.

I am trying to fathom how Yingluck can be seen as the best politician in Thailand when she hasn't ordered an inquiry into the 'burn Bangkok to the ground' Red TV broadcasts or any of the other horrors that ushered her into office.

Edited by ovaltina

You do remember the Democrat Deputy Prime Ministers stance on International Observers don't you?

BANGKOK, March 24 -- Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban on Thursday said he disagreed with the idea to seek international observers to monitor the upcoming general election, saying he deemed it "inappropriate.".....................

http://www.mcot.net/...age/185964.html

and declared the UDD as being non respectful of Thailands sovereignity;

Mr Suthep said he wonders why the UDD does not respect Thailand's national sovereignty but respects foreigners by inviting them to be involved in the country's internal affairs.

Now why wouldn't he welcome foreign observers? No wonder the UDD were campaigning for a return of democracy (not "against the coup" as some posters on here insist).

I'm with you. Things could be a lot better, but a comparison to North Korea is a bit ridiculous don't you think? Yingluk is no Kim Jong-il, or his obese son Kim Jong-un that's now in charge.

Noone in Thailand thinks of Northern Korea as the enemy from the axis of evil.

Actually and probably across all political parties they quite like the nationalistic concept, the Juche idea of economic self-sufficiency and self-reliance, and some surely fancy with the North Korean Songun (=Military First) Ideology.

Interesting news but only one is a politician.

That's correct!!! the other one's there to serve her brother (who's a fugitive) with absolutely no experience of politics or dealing with making difficult decisions - if she is allowed to that is ie: if Chalerm permits it!!!

The western media especially BBC actually talked about Yingluck's massvotebuying as a breakthrough for women worldwide, an inspiration for Thai women, a new direction, hope for the rural poor etc.etc.

Your use of language is very unclear but I'm assuming you mean the BBC made no mention of mass votebuying and instead, mistakenly in your view, emphasized the positive aspects of Khun Yingluck's victory.I tend to share your scepticism about some of the so called positive aspects.However your attribution of her victory to mass votebuying is simply incorrect, and I suspect in your case is simple ignorance rather than dishonesty.No serious organisation (including international observers and the defeated Democrat party) or individual takes such a view.If you dislike the current government there are several aspects which legitimately deserve criticism.There's no need to make stuff up or repeat stale lies.

The western media especially BBC actually talked about Yingluck's massvotebuying as a breakthrough for women worldwide, an inspiration for Thai women, a new direction, hope for the rural poor etc.etc.

Your use of language is very unclear but I'm assuming you mean the BBC made no mention of mass votebuying and instead, mistakenly in your view, emphasized the positive aspects of Khun Yingluck's victory.I tend to share your scepticism about some of the so called positive aspects.However your attribution of her victory to mass votebuying is simply incorrect, and I suspect in your case is simple ignorance rather than dishonesty.No serious organisation (including international observers and the defeated Democrat party) or individual takes such a view.If you dislike the current government there are several aspects which legitimately deserve criticism.There's no need to make stuff up or repeat stale lies.

My friend's family outside Khonkean, including grandmother, mother & all her uncles & aunties got cash in hand at the polling booth to vote red. There was a guy with a red hat on and a bucket of cash notes handing them out. People were paid cash to come demonstrate in Bangkok, and they were paid in cash to cast votes too. The fact that in many / most cases they would have voted Red anyway, just meant it was more like a reward for loyalty than an actual conscience-testing bribe.

Thanks for your comments about my "simple ignorance", and well done for seeing that I was indeed mocking the BBC, you post is trollstyle & doesn't actually say anything.

<edited for typos & 1 uncertain detail>

Edited by ovaltina

Thanks for your comments about my "simple ignorance", and well done for seeing that I was indeed mocking the BBC, you post is trollstyle & doesn't actually say anything.

Well my post does actually say that Yingluck did not win the election through vote buying, contrary to your original statement and subsequent back pedalling.No serious organisation or individual supports your view.If you wish to discuss on an anecdotal basis (my auntie's friend's neighbour etc took the red shilling) best do it with someone who doesn't bother with evidence or analysis.

My friend's family outside Khonkean, including grandmother, mother & all her uncles & aunties got cash in hand at the polling booth to vote red. There was a guy with a red hat on and a bucket of cash notes handing them out. People were paid cash to come demonstrate in Bangkok, and they were paid in cash to cast votes too. The fact that in many / most cases they would have voted Red anyway, just meant it was more like a reward for loyalty than an actual conscience-testing bribe.

<edited for typos & 1 uncertain detail>

We had guy in a red hat down our way just a few days ago. He was giving out parcels and said Ho Ho Ho a lot - wonder if it's the same guy?

Vote buying does get rolled out here on the forum quite often in the political threads.

No one has discussed whether or not it really works, however, everyone does have an opinion.

It would be interesting to see an academic study the overall impact of the practice. Does anyone have an idea if this has already been done?

My personal favorite politician of the year has to be Herman Cain - now there is a guy who was really bought and paid for ! (edit : and dam_n entertaining, too B) )

Edited by tlansford

Vote buying does get rolled out here on the forum quite often in the political threads.

No one has discussed whether or not it really works, however, everyone does have an opinion.

It would be interesting to see an academic study the overall impact of the practice. Does anyone have an idea if this has already been done?

My personal favorite politician of the year has to be Herman Cain - now there is a guy who was really bought and paid for ! (edit : and dam_n entertaining, too cool.png )

Yes, there have been some detailed studies done on vote buying and the relative effectiveness and "Thainess" of it.

Not sure exactly where but one could start to look with.

New Mandela.

Bangkok Pundit.

PPT.

Chris Baker

Asiatimes on line.

and maybe 2bangkok

Having a bad day here, one labrador going down with renal failure and the vets will not put her out of her misery even though it's clearly a lost cause and just learned that a mate in Australia died on new years eve.

Intimidation works even better, when the village head knows how everyone voted (so everyone votes the way he says) not to mention how the democrats weren't able to even campaign in Isaan.

Perhaps they weren't able to campaign because of their actions......................

Snipers and that sort of thing.....

Intimidation works even better, when the village head knows how everyone voted (so everyone votes the way he says) not to mention how the democrats weren't able to even campaign in Isaan.

Perhaps they weren't able to campaign because of their actions......................

Its not a functioning democracy if you have massive vote buying, massive corruption, widespread intimidation of village life, and large areas of the country where the main opposition party can't campaign. Not going to get into the red riots and what happened as that's a separate issue and so much isn't known and probably never will be. Edited by Jingthing

Its not a functioning democracy if you have massive vote buying, massive corruption, widespread intimidation of village life, and large areas of the country where the main opposition party can't campaign. Not going to get into the red riots and what happened as that's a separate issue and so much isn't known and probably never will be.

Your first sentence applies perfectly to the Democrat party.

Thank you.

I agree.

My personal favorite politician of the year has to be Herman Cain - now there is a guy who was really bought and paid for ! (edit : and dam_n entertaining, too cool.png )

Yes, there have been some detailed studies done on vote buying and the relative effectiveness and "Thainess" of it.

Not sure exactly where but one could start to look with.

New Mandela.

Bangkok Pundit.

PPT.

Chris Baker

Asiatimes on line.

and maybe 2bangkok

Having a bad day here, one labrador going down with renal failure and the vets will not put her out of her misery even though it's clearly a lost cause and just learned that a mate in Australia died on new years eve.

Sorry about the friend and dog - understand completely.

Thanks for the tips, I had found an article with another reference from one of the comment.

The article was here http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2011/02/16/preparing-the-vote-buying-bogeyman/

And one of the comments referenced this, with a link to The Nation.

For a useful perspective, I recommend a 2008 Chang Noi article [ http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/09/01/opinion/opinion_30082102.php ] – worth reading in full but, to give a flavour, I’ll quote this section: “In the early history of Thai vote-buying, candidates thrust red notes into voters’ hands in order to create an obligation. Once a voter had accepted the candidate’s generosity, it would be bad manners not to repay that generosity when casting the vote. But this kind of naive transaction did not last long. By the mid-1990s, some voters would take money from every candidate, and then vote how they pleased. Others would only take from a candidate they had already decided to vote for, in order not to create an obligation. Candidates still had to offer money. Not doing so would risk being branded as ‘ungenerous’ and thus not worth electing. This was particularly true of candidates known to be rich. Vote-buying has thus become a bit like a candidate’s deposit, distributed among the voters rather than paid to the authorities.”

So you see no problem in having one (or several, as it often is) party being unable to run a campaign in an area due to violence and threats?

This issue pre-date both the riots of 2010 (ergo the 2011 election) and the coup of 2006 (ergo the 2007 election) - so it is useless to blame them on any of those events.