Bangkok Gun Shops: What's Inside And Why Tourists Can't Buy

webfact

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is there a background check and license required for a 22? i just need one around the house to shoot rodents. i see them sold at all the markets and malls. i am in Isaan. thanks.

I know most markets in Isaan DO sell rodents but I have never seen a 22 for sale in any. Why would you want to shoot "rodents" at 30 baht per bullet anyways when you can buy them at the market a LOT cheaper?

You might want to post in the Isaan forum for better results.

I would not support the relaxing of gun laws, and would also say that a 'Reponsible' person is someone who is NOT an alcoholic, or regularly drinks booze or frequents bars. Booze, promotes delusions of grandeur, fits of depression or mania. Guns and alcohol should never be allowed together. The Martial arts and Boxing can be just as great a killer as a gun in the wrong hands.

Quite why someone hasn't produced a 'hand gun' for self-protection, that fires a soft round like that used for paint-ball gaming, with a dye that stinks to high heaven and cannot be washed off for 7 at least days, so they are 'Marked' for attention from the Police, is beyond me. Such a weapon would not be able to injure someone, and I'm pretty certain that an attacker, on realising they are going to be 'Marked' in such a manner for a considerable period of time, is going to think at least 2 or three times about attacking someone, unless they suffering from some kind of phychosis.

Unfortunately, some of the people who want to own a gun, want it to physically hurt their assailant, rather than mark them, because centuries of firearm availability, has 'conditioned' the public at large into thinking that inflicting a physical injury upon someone, is the main way of defending oneself, from an attacker. Banks now use dye-spraying, so the technology is there, is just needs to be refined to fit the bill.

So you would encourage that only criminals have access to guns? After all if they are illegal, only they will have access to them because i don't think they really care about obeying the law.

Imagine yourself, your wife and two small children sleeping, then a burglar sneaks in, make that two burglars instead. What you gonna do ? give him a cookie? In total darkness? Call the cops? Here's a hint , cops are only there AFTER a crime happens, why do cops carry guns anyway? To handle situations they can't handle on their own.

How can a society protect itself from tyrants when they do not have a way to fight back? Use slingshots and end up like the Palestinians?

School murders aren't a result of guns, its the result of society and bad attitudes against these children that commit those shootings.

This is a belief.

On the whole you can't change a persons belief.

Those who believe will seek every argument they can find in order to support their belief.

It's extremely rare to be able to alter ones belief whether right or wrong.

It's like politics.

Proffering any argument to against guns to one who believes in their proliferation is a waste of time.

Those who can't live without the law and politics of their homeland should return to it.

Edited by rockyysdt

EVERY SINGLE TOPIC (no matter what it is) involving firearms/guns is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS jumped upon by anti-gun crowd who will always spout off about how guns are evil and "if it were up to them..." Ultimately what it results in is that no one can exchange any useful information about guns on this forum (such as "how do I obtain a permit" or "how do I import" ) because the thread always gets hijacked by the anti-gun lobby.

This if fact: firearm ownership is legal in Thailand. Deal with it. If private gun ownership is truly disturbing to you, then by all means move to a country which bans it. No one is stopping you. If you are in Thailand, you accept Thailand's laws. It is very presumptuous to move to another country and think that the host country should adapt to you, rather than vice versa. To illustrate the point, imagine someone from the middle east moving to England, and upon getting to England they start saying "you know in our country, women wear birkas. All women in England should have to wear birkas too." I'm sure you're not going to be too happy about that.

Some parts of England muslims are already operating their own Sharia law. You only have to visit certain areas of England to see how some have been taken over. They don`t call London Londonistan for nothing. I left London many years ago and when I revisit my home area it is like entering a foreign country with street names and road signs in both English and Arabic. So imagination is not needed because incomers there have already displaced most of the native population. They even put posters on lamp posts saying that under Sharia law homosexuality was outlawed in THEIR area.

I am not Texan, but I wish. really respect the way they handle things down there. I would be proud to be Texan, but was not blessed by birth.

Then you should go there. plane tickets are not that expensive these days.

And don't take it personally, but maniacs are always told to go somewhere else regardless to their nationality.

Failure at logic.

Since the law allows it here and you disagree with it it is clearly you that should be flying somewhere else...

Well said, again!

I hope it doesn't offend all the people that have no interest in this topic, but I would like to say something ON TOPIC:

-I don't understand how a foreigner is supposed to prove that they own a house when foreigners are not even permitted to own land. Do you just show that you own a minority of a company that owns a house?

I would argue that all of those gun shops should be forbidden to feel weapons to expats and Thai people alike. Only mentally sick people need a gun, it is after all an extension of a certain organ, that is probably too short or not working. Sell weapons and you get the mess that the US and the Philippines are in, including school murders, random shootings and a new mister Breivik will emerge soon. (Lot's of nice little Islands in Thailand after all).

There is no need for a gun in the hands of non police (and even they should not all get one) or army. Anyone who comes up with the bullocks statements that guns do not kill are fooling themselves Gun owners are not blessed with too many working brain cells though

i could dis agree with you 100 per cent.

If you want a gin out here it is not hard to get one thai or expat, having a gun with a liscence is abvout time they let foreigner allow to buy them. As should someone go crazy and shoot up a school then they could do that anyway. the differnece is with a liscened gun the owner can be easily traced back.

I am in favour of laws that en able people to protect what they have worked for and believe me a gun is a serious thing i think that mor estuipid people would be showing off thier guns and getting nicked before they have a chance to shoot someone or something.Having a liscence does not give people a liscence to kill but n some cases if does make people feel safer when they are in a room on a house can hear foot steps coming uip the stairs with knowing that they have some form of safty in their room.

also if people shoot people for fun then they still have to go to the police station and make a report as to why this man was shot. if they do not guve a vailid reason tehn that person shall be jailed for murder. which is why illegal guns are far more dangerous and people have the right to protect themselves.

i do not think that people shall rob people with liscenced guns. they might aswell wear a name badge

I was interested in what JKOLAK said earlier about defending your family from a violant home invasion. Do you mean that if someone broke into your bedroom and really threatened your family and you to the extent that one of you could get murdered you are just going to sit there.Forget about guns but if you hit this person and he happened to fall crack his head and die they are going to put you in jail for the rest of your life. This is the real world. I cannot immagine that anywhere in civilized or uncivilized world that this action would be taken.You have the right to defend yourself and your family by any means possible at the threat of death, that is the law of the jungle.

EVERY SINGLE TOPIC (no matter what it is) involving firearms/guns is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS jumped upon by anti-gun crowd who will always spout off about how guns are evil and "if it were up to them..." Ultimately what it results in is that no one can exchange any useful information about guns on this forum (such as "how do I obtain a permit" or "how do I import" ) because the thread always gets hijacked by the anti-gun lobby.

This if fact: firearm ownership is legal in Thailand. Deal with it. If private gun ownership is truly disturbing to you, then by all means move to a country which bans it. No one is stopping you. If you are in Thailand, you accept Thailand's laws. It is very presumptuous to move to another country and think that the host country should adapt to you, rather than vice versa. To illustrate the point, imagine someone from the middle east moving to England, and upon getting to England they start saying "you know in our country, women wear birkas. All women in England should have to wear birkas too." I'm sure you're not going to be too happy about that.

Some parts of England muslims are already operating their own Sharia law. You only have to visit certain areas of England to see how some have been taken over. They don`t call London Londonistan for nothing. I left London many years ago and when I revisit my home area it is like entering a foreign country with street names and road signs in both English and Arabic. So imagination is not needed because incomers there have already displaced most of the native population. They even put posters on lamp posts saying that under Sharia law homosexuality was outlawed in THEIR area.

i understand that this is wrong but i fo not know what that has to do with change of gun laws in thailand. I do not thing that forangs with businesses are hear to impose our own version of law because of a fire arms change. In England they do not have firearms right to purchase and it is still called Londonstarn and it is messed up.

i am interested how this works because before it wasn't easy for a thai to get a gun they need a signiture from the mayor in the amper from where they are registered so i really confussed as to how the law has changed and what kind of gun liscences they are giving out.

i can imagine that they are for sport only.

So can I now buy a gun legally beibg a foreinger with a business and work permit

Yes. You already could before too.

one of my thai close family relatives has a gun liscence but they had to get a signiture from the mayor to approve it. i do not know how the law has changed so forigners can walk into a shop and buy one. There must be a loop whole here somewhere. If you have a thai company then the company can own the gun ?

DO i have to get a liscence before i buy the gun if so do i need to go to my local Mayor???

Does anyone know the process and has anyone done it yet. being a foreigner. i know they have many types of liscences. Some you can own a gun but cannot use.

some u can protect your property.

some you can carry around but cannot put the bullets in the gun ( normally security guards)

most guns are not alloud to be taken out side your amper though lawyer and police can have multy provence liscences.

No, I'm not whining as I'm a person on a retirement extension of stay and financially secure with pensions & savings with no plans in leaving Thailand...but if I could just get one of those work permits I could possibly move up a notch in Thai society and then get a gun and unsecured credit card.blink.png

That's a pretty good idea, Pib... That way, when someone steals your Thai bank credit card and charges up a fortune with your stolen card, you can take your newly acquired gun, go out hunting, find the SOB and shoot him/her to death.... Then you're covered all the way round... cowboy.gif Yee haa!!!!

is there a background check and license required for a 22? i just need one around the house to shoot rodents. i see them sold at all the markets and malls. i am in Isaan. thanks.

I know most markets in Isaan DO sell rodents but I have never seen a 22 for sale in any. Why would you want to shoot "rodents" at 30 baht per bullet anyways when you can buy them at the market a LOT cheaper?

You might want to post in the Isaan forum for better results.

by rodents i mean wild dogs that keep eating our chickens at night lol

ya there are bb and 22 gauge pistols and rifles for sale in any town in Isaan.

in Roi Et there's a shop in the theater complex back by the bathrooms on the 1st floor.

i'll probably just get my father-in-law to pick one up and save the paperwork hassle.

Just out of curocity, is there any game hunting in Thailand, birds etc...?

Never heard about any hunters butwhat do I know?

Poaching is a national sport.

Jo Dennis, Thais hunt and kill EVERYTHING what is not on the tree when they counted to three.... Check out the Isaan for example, no more birds (except chickens) no snakes (except these one in cages of the ppl sale anti snake poison) and no other animals bigger as a Gekko.....even the Tokeys they hunt down and eat them....and in Sokunakhorn even dogs.... so they do hunt here .... pretty EVERYTHING except Ants and Cockroaches.... but wait, I see cockroaches yesterday on a market...deep fried licklips.gif

True up here in my wifes village outside of chaing mai they have hunted everything to extinction,i upset one of my neighbors,the guy just walked into my garden with his rifle and was trying to shoot a squirrel,i told him to get off my land ,as its private,that is why i have a big fence around the garden,id made the mistake of leaving the front gate unlocked,he wasn't happy,that id stopped him bagging his dinner.

Unfortunately too many people associate guns with violence, these are the same people who have never fired one and would probably use it to kill someone themselves. Probably never owned a BB gun either.

Owning a gun is nothing more than throwing a rock to see if you can knock down a beer can, its about accuracy and skill and fun as hell too shoot when you blast a watermelon. Going hunting can provide meat for a year and teach young people survival skills, of course city people are too arrogant to realize the benefits of actually doing things themselves. My children will know how to kill for food.

Every person i have taken shooting has been converted to a pro firearms person, after they finally realize what its all about. Its not just about killing.

Every instance of civilization has had some form of projectile weaponry.

People get a false sense of security with a gun and grow bigger balls. But not everyone.

So now we can put more guns on the streets in the cities. Cities like Pataya, Pukhet, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, And should I keep going?

Thats why the law is in place to prove you have income before being sold one.

I would argue that all of those gun shops should be forbidden to feel weapons to expats and Thai people alike. Only mentally sick people need a gun, it is after all an extension of a certain organ, that is probably too short or not working. Sell weapons and you get the mess that the US and the Philippines are in, including school murders, random shootings and a new mister Breivik will emerge soon. (Lot's of nice little Islands in Thailand after all).

There is no need for a gun in the hands of non police (and even they should not all get one) or army. Anyone who comes up with the bullocks statements that guns do not kill are fooling themselves Gun owners are not blessed with too many working brain cells though

Guns dont kill, it's the person behind. People who have guns for sport, or have training and high knowledge about guns don't kill. It's the person without brain cells like you who kills. The same with cars, it is the drunk people and people without brain that kills people in road accidents. You will not prevent school shooting etc with baning guns, this sick people will only find othe ways to harm people, or buy guns on the black market. With your crazy thinking Thailand should forbid cars and motor bikes, to many people are killed in road accidents.

I think that providing you have had comprehensive training in handling weapons, it is perfectly sensible to have one in your home. My brother in law got a licence for a handgun and elected to keep it in our house as we have a safe. He picks it up when he wants to go to the range etc. I asked the local police chief if I am allowed to use the weapon. He said that if any person enters our home with the intent of harming the family I can use whatever is at my disposal to protect them. I cannot shoot intruders if they are running out the garden, he did point out however that in the event you shoot any intruder, do it properly!! If they were intruding and are shot dead, the police in general will have no further issues and you are likely the only witness with a story to tell anyway. I love using guns for sport and down south where it is a little like the wild west in terms of gun ownership, I feel safer in the knowledge that I have the opportunity to protect my family in our home should the need arise.

Owning a gun is nothing more than throwing a rock to see if you can knock down a beer can, its about accuracy and skill and fun as hell too shoot when you blast a watermelon. Going hunting can provide meat for a year and teach young people survival skills, of course city people are too arrogant to realize the benefits of actually doing things themselves. My children will know how to kill for food.

I'm sure the hunting for food aspect of things will come as great comfort to the tens of thousands of people who lose family members and loves ones needlessly due to gun violence when those armed with guns -- often people who have no proper business possessing them -- get angry, drunk, crazed, or just decide to settle a score and start blasting away... not at deers.... but at other people.

People who have guns for sport, or have training and high knowledge about guns don't kill.

Ahh.... so that then explains the suspended Thai policeman the other day who got arrested for attempted murder for randomly shooting at cars on the expressway below... After he got drunk, got into an argument with a friend, wanted to shoot the friend but couldn't find him, and so decided to start randomly shooting at bypassing cars just to vent his anger...

Of course people with "training and high knowledge about guns don't kill." The other on-duty Thai cop just the other day who capped six of his co-workers with his gun and then ultimately shot himself to death as well wasn't killing... He was just engaging in a form of anger management therapy... Glad you clarified that point. ph34r.png

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Poeple should be able to own guns because of personal freedom, but do not fool yourself to think that owning a gun makes you more safe.

It is way more likely that someone will end up stealing your gun or there will be an accident with you gun or you will use it in bad judgement than actually "defending your family from a home invasion".

Where do you get this information? Or you just make this stuff up as you go along. Show me a report with statics that people that own guns end up having them stolen or used in a accident, please show me. I owned guns for 20 years in the US, never had one stolen never had an accident, all my friends owned guns never heard any of them having any guns stolen or accidents. Do accidents happen? yes, often don't think so.

The report by the Americans for Gun Safety Foundation says nearly 1.7 million firearms were reported to police as stolen from January 1993 through August 2002. The number of guns stolen per year has declined, from 221,322 reported in 1993 to 138,035 in 2001, the report says.

1.7 million in nine years, that is a few guns stolen, wouldn't you say. Do you have 1.7 million friends to compare that too?

Edited by wlcart

I've thought of using a gun on one or more dogs which bark incessently. I probably wouldn't, but have certainly considered it.

When I mention to my farang or Thai friends, they invariably tell me to use the 'rat poison in sausage' route. I haven't done that either, as it's a painful way for any animal to die. Oddly, my neighborhood is not as bad as it used to be, re; dog barking. It's gone from horrible to bad, so I guess that's an improvement. Sure wish there was a way to get Thai dog owners to deal (or want to deal) effectively with their dogs and/or have a modicum of respect for their neighbors. Oh well, that may be wishing too much.

Incidentally, dogs bark a whole lot less in Burma, and I honestly don't know why that is. Maybe it's because Burmese are generally better at dealing with their dogs.

I've thought of using a gun on one or more dogs which bark incessently. I probably wouldn't, but have certainly considered it.

When I mention to my farang or Thai friends, they invariably tell me to use the 'rat poison in sausage' route. I haven't done that either, as it's a painful way for any animal to die. Oddly, my neighborhood is not as bad as it used to be, re; dog barking. It's gone from horrible to bad, so I guess that's an improvement. Sure wish there was a way to get Thai dog owners to deal (or want to deal) effectively with their dogs and/or have a modicum of respect for their neighbors. Oh well, that may be wishing too much.

Incidentally, dogs bark a whole lot less in Burma, and I honestly don't know why that is. Maybe it's because Burmese are generally better at dealing with their dogs.

I heard they bark even less in Korea. licklips.gif

I'm sure the hunting for food aspect of things will come as great comfort to the tens of thousands of people who lose family members and loves ones needlessly due to gun violence when those armed with guns -- often people who have no proper business possessing them -- get angry, drunk, crazed, or just decide to settle a score and start blasting away... not at deers.... but at other people.

Ever heard of a knife or baseball bat? Should they outlaw knives and baseball games too? I can stick my ball point pen up your nose and kill you also, should we all switch to crayons instead? If i was a Ninja i could probably kill you with my bare fingers, ehh you get the point.

The Brady Law in the US prohibits people under certain criteria from owning guns. Its already covered so you can relax now. If you had a gun you could probably stop that drunk guy your talking about by shooting him in the ass in a non lethal way. Maybe you could throw a Chinese star at him instead.

I could kill more people in one day with a truck than a gun can and have more fun doing it.

Foreign Business Owners have always been allowed to own guns here. On your permit it will say that you can only have the gun in your possession from your home to your business and also to the Bank that your business is registered with. Anywhere outside that triangle and you could be in trouble AND lose your gun, business etc.

Total nonsense.

First of all as a Foreigner you cannot be a "Business Owner" (except under specific circumstances - those established under the US - Thai Amity Treaty for example).

Secondly, unless you have Permanent Residence status in Thailand you simply cannot own a Gun - at least not in your own name.

Yes some Farang without PR Status have guns here but certainly not in their own name - usually in that of their wife or other relative.

I believe there may be exceptions granted, for example, by local Authorities to Farang who farm in remote areas, but those are, as I say, exceptions.

Patrick

Edit : spelling

Edited by p_brownstone

I am with you 101%. Could not agree more!!!

LOL give me a break, then every house in Switzerland must be filled with sickos HAH! What ever, you don't like em, fine, don't buy em, stay defenseless and call the police. Personally, my family's and my life are worth more to me than that.

Ever heard of a knife or baseball bat? Should they outlaw knives and baseball games too? I can stick my ball point pen up your nose and kill you also, should we all switch to crayons instead? If i was a Ninja i could probably kill you with my bare fingers, ehh you get the point.

I could kill more people in one day with a truck than a gun can and have more fun doing it.

Do you really want to continue these silly arguments and pointless comparisons...

Obviously, there's a clear difference between guns and the other means you've cited...

When was the last time anyone heard of people getting killed in a drive-by pen in the nose spree?

Guns allow indiscriminate, multiple killing from a distance and give the average unarmed victim has relatively little way to defend themselves... They also allow for the regular and recurring (marginally) unintended killing of total innocent bystanders in all kinds of situations.

At least with knives, baseball bats, ballpoint pens or what have you, the perpetrator is pretty much going to be limited to one victim at a time in close physical proximity... The would-be victim at least has a somewhat better chance of escaping and/or defending themselves. The wounds, if inflicted, are probably less likely to be fatal.

I would have rather taken my chances with a drunk Thai policeman throwing knives, baseball bats or rocks off the overpass in a drunken rage vs. shooting his gun.

And likewise, if the Thai cop who just shot his 6 colleagues had only been armed with an knife, do you think just perhaps a few more of those guys would have survived by overcoming and disarming their psycho colleague before he had a chance slash/stab them all to death... I'd say that's a near certainty.

So let's stop with this foolishness, please...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK