webfact

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it does happen. This is one of the latest:

I think if you search on 'murder' on the News forum and look back, you'll see numerous instances. There was one this year in the South on a beach resort where a couple were killed.

A very good friend of mine was attacked after withdrawing money from an ATM close to his rural home. He fought back and escaped. But????? He could have been killed.

It does happen and it happens often enough to at least to pique the attention of farangs who make Thailand their home like I do.

Yes, I have a gun. And the village knows it. I keep the gates locked at night and have two dogs. Prevention is where I want to be...I don't ever want to be in the situation to 'draw down' on an armed home intruder, but I have the training to know what I'd do if push comes to shove.

By the way. I do NOT recommend that anyone buys a gun for home protection without understanding it's use and the legalities of it's use. Untrained individuals are a danger to themselves. But for resident expats here in Thailand, I recommend getting training, learning the laws, and keeping a fire arm for personal protection.

• Like 1

I'm sure it does happen.

So do accidents resulting from having guns in the house.

I'm betting the incidence of the latter is higher than the former.

In any case, there is nothing in my house so valuable that I would want to kill someone to protect. If someone wants to burglarize me, I'm sure they'd prefer to break in when I'm not around.

If I am around, my "game plan" is to let them take whatever they like. A couple second-hand televisions are not worth killing anyone over.

I'm sure it does happen.

In any case, there is nothing in my house so valuable that I would want to kill someone to protect. If someone wants to burglarize me, I'm sure they'd prefer to break in when I'm not around.

If I am around, my "game plan" is to let them take whatever they like. A couple second-hand televisions are not worth killing anyone over.

What if they want to take your life?

I would prefer not to let the criminal make the decision what is worth killing someone over.

That being said, if you are not comfortable with a gun in your house then you should probably not have one.

I'm sure it does happen.

What if they want to take your life?

I would prefer not to let the criminal make the decision what is worth killing someone over.

That being said, if you are not comfortable with a gun in your house then you should probably not have one.

Why would they want to take your life? What's the motivation?

The chances of someone deciding to rob you when you are at home rather than burglarize you when you are out are very small. Burglary is much easier, and less risky.

The chances of someone wanting to kill you if you do not resist are miniscule. Why would someone who already got what they wanted want to risk facing a murder charge?

The chances of an innocent person getting hurt or killed because there was a gun around are much, much higher, in my estimation.

That's why I'll have nothing to do with them.

Edited by NewlyMintedThai

• 1 month later...

This is a useful topic and worth continuing. I'm interested in facts about the relevant laws rather than a discussion around opinions on gun ownership. I've formed my opinions having read about violent crime here and having considered what unemployable scooter boy will do for income when his parents can no longer keep him the booze and yaba to which he has become accustomed.

I have not been able to find an on-line English translation of the relevant laws. I'd rather do that than ask a lawyer who may not be interested in helping and just fob me off. Many of the anecdotal advice and information here is interesting but, at least in Thailand, the application of laws is often a local affair and interpretation may change from time to time.

Has anyone found a complete translation of laws on gun licensing, ownership, safety, use and carriage? I believed that, as some posters have written, licenses were issued at the police station. Our information from a gun shop recently is that they are issued only by the big boss at your local Amphur.

I'm particularly interested, also, to know how one might legally carry a shotgun from the place of purchase in a taxi or on public transport to one's car for the journey home! Choice is limited where we live and we are contemplating a trip to Old Siam Plaza. I baulk at driving far in BKK so we would have to get across town to our hotel and car.

Something is wrong with this thread.

I think because i havent read the word "amercian" once in reference to a gun topic! :D

so i'll lay in my 2 cents

I think restrictive gun laws would save lives

but i like to shoot trap and target

So i'm glad whichever side is winning.

The arguing is what i dont like.

Is there a trap or skeet range in TL?

and what does a o/u 12 guage, say a citori, cost in TL

generally that is.

I'm sure it does happen.

I have absolutely no statistics to back up either argument because I can't be bothered to search; but my feeling is the members of this board who are gun owners don't sleep with their firearms under their pillows. More than likely it's tucked away in a manner deemed appropriate and safe (I believe gun safes were mentioned at least once in this thread). I think when the gun is as hard to obtain for non-Thais as it is, those who actually are willing to go through the rigmarole are smart/experienced enough to keep accidental discharges to a very low statistic.

Edited by CanInBKK

Something is wrong with this thread.

I think because i havent read the word "amercian" once in reference to a gun topic! biggrin.png

so i'll lay in my 2 cents

I think restrictive gun laws would save lives

but i like to shoot trap and target

So i'm glad whichever side is winning.

The arguing is what i dont like.

Is there a trap or skeet range in TL?

and what does a o/u 12 guage, say a citori, cost in TL

generally that is.

There are gun clubs but I haven't heard of any trap or skeet places.

The only shotgun price I know is THB37,000/39,000 for a Remington pump action. That's in the sticks. BKK may be cheaper.

Poeple should be able to own guns because of personal freedom, but do not fool yourself to think that owning a gun makes you more safe.

It is way more likely that someone will end up stealing your gun or there will be an accident with you gun or you will use it in bad judgement than actually "defending your family from a home invasion".

There is no evidence to support this claim.
  • Like 1

Having a gun means that you're gonna have to use it sooner or later. No thank you.

Too absurd of a statement to even consider. Just ridiculous. It goes to show how ignorant and close-minded the anti-gun crowd can be.

There is ignorance at both extremes of the gun debate. Some people at each extreme demonstrate their unsuitability for handling guns.

Back home, I never owned a gun and never felt the need for one for self-defence. Here, the gun laws are different and so are the social conditions. We have adapted our view on gun ownership because of marauding dogs killing our poultry, despite boundary protection, and an attempted night time strangling in the next village. We do it properly, getting training and practice at the gun club and never shooting for fun or practice at home. We keep the gun and ammunition safe and respect all of the rules of ownership. That's way ahead of a drunken looney not far from our house.

Make your home secure enough to stop easy intruder entry, in your home you do not need a gun.

if you want to go the whole hog--get some grenades-flame thrower, if you are so silly in the head.

we should expect the law to put a ban on all weapons in public places,

Stop the sale of weapons --no gunshops----hire your weapon at a firing range.

Thailand has a gun-a policeman--U.K. guns are not carried by the police, only emergency back up teams.

Population same- stats please on shooting deaths per year--here and U.K..

Protect yourself be wary lock your car from the inside while in transit. eradicate leathal weapons, (it is impossible sure-BUT we can get near to it)

Poeple should be able to own guns because of personal freedom, but do not fool yourself to think that owning a gun makes you more safe.

It is way more likely that someone will end up stealing your gun or there will be an accident with you gun or you will use it in bad judgement than actually "defending your family from a home invasion".

Try and tell this lady her gun did not make her and her son more safe.

• Like 1

Make your home secure enough to stop easy intruder entry, in your home you do not need a gun.

if you want to go the whole hog--get some grenades-flame thrower, if you are so silly in the head.

Thailand has a gun-a policeman--U.K. guns are not carried by the police, only emergency back up teams.

Protect yourself be wary lock your car from the inside while in transit. eradicate leathal weapons, (it is impossible sure-BUT we can get near to it)

Criminals absolutely love people like you my friend.
  • Like 1

So a WP is required.

Teachers have WP's.

Also finger prints are required of your 10 fingers...what if you blew 3 off in a previous gun incident/accident ?

Well at least with the part fingered hand you still can stick 2 fingers upcheesy.gif

Just think through what you wrote.

'Easy intruder entry' If they do get in, what then? We have had close quarters self-defence gear for some time but, now, I want to be able to deal with anyone who breaks in at a distance from which they can't reach me.

'Flame thrower' Why bother writing that?

'Lock your car from the inside' Bullet proof glass? Carrying isn't an issue because carry licenses are difficult to get here. Most posters are writing about self-defence at home - you know, those farang palaces stacked to the ceiling with gold and cash, according to some natives.

You will never eradicate guns here. I would assume that most licensed owners are responsible. It's the others for whom we need to prepare ourselves.

If you don't want to have a gun, that's up to you, but don't make illogical comments to flame people who have a different point of view.

• Like 2

Yes, I have a gun. And the village knows it.

Sorry for not seeing your post until now. So what the information we discussed resulted in a successful accomplishment of purchase? Congrats.

I have a big old s***eating grin on my face right now. So while the anti gun crowd is sitting here wasting time posting how much they hate guns, guns are evil blah blah blah, little do they realize others on this forum are sending pm's to each other to help each other out in legally purchasing.

Yes, I have a gun. And the village knows it.

Sorry for not seeing your post until now. So what the information we discussed resulted in a successful accomplishment of purchase? Congrats.

I have a big old s***eating grin on my face right now. So while the anti gun crowd is sitting here wasting time posting how much they hate guns, guns are evil blah blah blah, little do they realize others on this forum are sending pm's to each other to help each other out in legally purchasing.

Is there a secret handshake to go along with it ?

Considering how Thais handle other deadly weapons that are easy to get, the government even gives grants for them...vehicles....I would think a complete gun ban in this country should be in order.

Throw into the mix the dangerous addition of that insecure concept of 'face' and it is an explosive situation waiting to happen.

Edited by diddums

So while the anti gun crowd is sitting here wasting time posting how much they hate guns, guns are evil blah blah blah, little do they realize others on this forum are sending pm's to each other to help each other out in legally purchasing.

I would appreciate a PM or two along those lines, please, someone. I'd feel more comfortable having a license in my own name than relying on my wife's license in an emergency.

Webfact, thank you so much for posting this article. It answers alot of questions I had about Thai gun law. Every time I asked on the forum I got a bunch of <snip> spouting off on how guns are evil rather than an answer to my questions.

Guns ARE evil. If you don't believe that, then "put your money where your mouth is" and move here to the US, and put your kids in public schools where they can be some gun nut's target practice. Yeah, didn't think so.

Guns ARE evil. If you don't believe that, then "put your money where your mouth is" and move here to the US, and put your kids in public schools where they can be some gun nut's target practice. Yeah, didn't think so.

The thread is about guns in Thailand, not the US. You can keep your laws and your Second Amendment.

Already in the US, already put my money where my mouth is. Don't have kids, but I wouldn't worry about sending them to a public school in the US.

Already in the US, already put my money where my mouth is. Don't have kids, but I wouldn't worry about sending them to a public school in the US.

Hey Sub. Hopefully you're in a state that allows concealed carry (for some reason I think you do).

I'm taking a trip from CM down to BBK this month via train. The 'gun shops' are only about a mile away from that station. Plan to head down to Burapha Road and check out handguns and pick up the paperwork I need to purchase and register one in my name. Basically checking available makes/models, prices, and registration procedures, . I'll head back with my wife later this year with the necessary paperwork to buy. Considering we live out in the sticks (rural Thailand) about half of the year, I'd be more comfortable with a firearm in the house. Plus I can get back to target shooting, which I really enjoy and really miss. You wouldn't happen to know a English speaking dealer on Burapha Road by any chance?

And like you, I had no problem putting my kids though public school, but if I did it over again, I'd consider moving to a state that enacts legislation allowing teachers and school officials to conceal carry. You and I both know, statistically the crime rates are significantly lower in states that allow concealed carry. I'd avoid places like New York, Chicago, and Dead-troit like the plague. Strict gun laws and massive crime rates in those places.

Enjoy your stay in the US!

Edited by connda

The thread is about guns in Thailand, not the US. You can keep your laws and your Second Amendment.

Guns aren't evil -- guns are metal, wood, and maybe plastic.

But there are some evil people who will use guns for evil purposes. But take guns away from the populace and the average, law-abiding citizen can no longer protect themselves against these 'whack jobs'. The evil people will get guns regardless of the laws. And if they can't get guns, they will just figure some other way to create mayhem. That's the nature of evil.