Confusion On B Visa For Company

I have a B visa issued in Penang almost 90 days ago , exp Jan 5. A lawyer is telling me I have to leave the country to get a " New " visa. He's been wrong in the past about visa, is he now ?

I also have a freelance writer's WP 90 day only ( expires Feb 2012 ) obtained on an Investor Visa unrelated to the business I have just registered. I used it to get the newer B Visa.

Can't I just get an extension at Immigration ?

If not, Is there a better consulate to go to other than Penang? Seems the Penang Consulate won't issue a multi- entry without a one year WP , but Labor won't issue 1 year WP without 1 year B visa.

( Bit of a vicious circle, it seems- can't get the first without the second.)

I have just registered a business but it is not operating yet due to contractors jerking me around, and has no employees yet .

I do have a tax number for it and myself but have paid no taxes.

All in all can't say I agree Thailand is easy to do business in, just the opposite in fact.

You seem to have a single non-B nd would indeed have to leave the country to get a new Non-B visa, unless you qualify for an extension of stay.

A company must be able to show 2 years of tax documents to be able to get an extension of stay for you. I'm not sure if the free lance WP will be worth anything when applying for an extension of stay, but that would also probably depend on if you actually make money with your freelance work.

Your Lawyer is correct - very much doubt that you will be able to get any extension other than 7 days showing booked travel..

Labour will issue One year Work Permits based on 90 Day Single Entry Non immigrant B Visa Entries - but it depends on your employment and the nature of your work as to the effective expiry date and validity period of the WP.

Also you state that the WP is unrelated to the business you have just registered, so you will need to make a fresh application for a WP at Labour a.s.a.p.

As regards Malyasia, Penang will not issue you with a Non B multiple unless you can show them 8 million capitalisation and KL want 8 months+ validity on the WP; note that all the supporting papers would also have to match the WP for you to stand any chance of a one year non Immigrant B multiple entry.

You have left it very late to sort this one out, a 7 day extension from immigration may give you enough time to get a fresh WP application processed for your newly registered company, you could then use that to get a new single entry 90 day non B at KL/Penang to then get a new one year WP issued for your new business.

Note that Phuket Labour can be helpful (best you take a Thai Speaker with you), but are very concerned that the minutiae of WP applications be 'in line', so expect several vists to get the paper work filed.

Good Luck.

As regards Malyasia, Penang will not issue you with a Non B multiple unless you can show them 8 million capitalisation

Is this a mistake? it is only a 2 million registered capital company. (My God , did the rules just change? )

I got the first B, 90 day, one entry from Penang on freelance WP with only 2 months validity left.

Seems I can get at least that with a registered company... ?? No ??

As regards Malyasia, Penang will not issue you with a Non B multiple unless you can show them 8 million capitalisation

Is this a mistake? it is only a 2 million registered capital company. (My God , did the rules just change? )

I got the first B, 90 day, one entry from Penang on freelance WP with only 2 months validity left.

Seems I can get at least that with a registered company... ?? No ??

Thai Consulates can and often do make their own additional conditions when issuing visas; 8 Million Capitalisation is specific to Penang for a One year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant B Visa.

In your original post you say that your Single Entry 90 Day Non Immigrant B Visa expired on the 5th of January; when is your 'Permitted to Stay' date date on your Passport entry stamp?

If you have now moved into overstay, then you have no longer have any option but to leave Thailand, pay the overstay and start again.

If you still have some time on your passport entry stamp, then you need to act quickly to get your papers sorted out for an inevitable visa run.