Uk Family Visit Visa

My wife and I have been married more than 11 years and we live here in Khon Kaen. She has been to the UK twice before, in 2001 and 2005. We want to apply for a family visit visa to the UK but it's all changed since last time!

The visa application is now made online and I have completed it and saved it but not yet submitted it as I first want my wife to go through the answers to make sure they are correct.

Q1. Do we submit the completed application before or after we make an appointment at VFS? The appointment will be booked for the end of next week.

Q2. There is no way on the application form to attach a sponsor's letter detailing the reason for the visa application. How can I get such a letter to the ECO?

Q3. I assume VFS will confirm receipt of the application when it has been submitted. Will they vet it before the appointment and ask for clarification if necessary?

Q4. Am I right in believing that my wife does not need to provide photos as VFS will take acceptable ones (at a price, of course)?

Q5. Having hopefully looked at the application beforehand will VFS tell us what documents need be provided to support the application, or do we have to take everything just in case?

Q6. Can I pay in cash?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Lung Bing

PS Last time in 2005 I went to the UK Embassy with my wife, we saw an ECO within half an hour or so, he asked me two questions ECO: " You're retired here are you" me: "Yes sir" ECO: "And you want to take your wife on a visit to see your family in the UK?" Me: "Yes sir" ECO: " OK, pay over there and come back with the receipt. Thank you." Not a word to my wife and a just flip through the application folder taking out a couple of photos only.

1. You have to complete the on-line sublimation before you can make an on-line appointment.

2. The applicant gives the reason for the application in Part 1.11. What is the main purpose of your visit to the UK; additional information can be given in Part 8.116 by answering 'yes' and providing the information in 118. (we used that section to provide information why my wife would return to Thailand). Your sponsor's letter should be included in the supporting documentation.

3.VFS will email confirmation of the the on-line submission which will include an on-line reference number. When the hard copy is handed in at VFS they will give your wife a receipt which has the unique reference number for the application and a stamped copy of her passport data page to be presented when she collects the processed application. The receiving officer at the VFS will quickly check the documentation and return important original documents, such as chanotte's, tabian bahn, bank books, to your wife. As far as I am aware, they do not check the on-line submission before submission at VFS, however the receiving officer did read the hard copy whilst my wife was there and ask her a few questions (in English)

4. They do take a digital photo along with the fingerprints for the biometrics, but you do need to provide a photo of the correct quality and dimensions.

5. The documentation you provide should be based on the guidance, the list of documentation required for submission, and whatever you think will be useful. Include a list of all documentation you are providing. VFS do not go through the application to check you have provided the correct documentation.

6. You have to pay by Cashier Cheque which can be obtained at the bank on the ground floor at Regent House on the day of submission. (you can pay a few Baht extra to get SMS notification of when the application has been processed)

NB. Beware/avoid the visa agents on the left next door to the VFS. The VFS entrance is quite insignificant but has a receptionist outside with a list that will include your wife and he/she will check her passport.

Dear Rawhod,

thanks for your reply. One question arrising: So in additon to the online submission we must also provide a hard copy of the application form as part of the paperwork?

If so I must be quite sure the two are the same.

We are not staying in Bangkok to collect the results of the application. I believe they will EMS it to us.

Thanks again.

7by7: thanks, I have read those and anything on here with 'VFS' in over the past few months, but recent personal experience is sometimes better.

Dear Rawhod,

thanks for your reply. One question arrising: So in additon to the online submission we must also provide a hard copy of the application form as part of the paperwork?

If so I must be quite sure the two are the same.

We are not staying in Bangkok to collect the results of the application. I believe they will EMS it to us.

Thanks again.

7by7: thanks, I have read those and anything on here with 'VFS' in over the past few months, but recent personal experience is sometimes better.

You fill the application form in on -line & print it off, you can pay for EMS courier service if required.

Yes, we knew that bit. We're going down by train overnight and back the same way a couple of days later. My wife will be going shopping and I'll be at the stamp fair outside the GPO seeing what stamps I want that I can afford.

Thanks for everybody's help and advice.

Yes, we knew that bit. We're going down by train overnight and back the same way a couple of days later. My wife will be going shopping and I'll be at the stamp fair outside the GPO seeing what stamps I want that I can afford.

Thanks for everybody's help and advice.

The advice can be confusing. But, when you complete the online application, you can print out a copy. It is best to print two copies. One copy goes in with the submitted documents. Keep the other copy for your own reference. For instance, should you want to refer to it in any appeal or any future application.

Don't worry if you make a mistake. The online copy is not actually looked at by anyone. It is just an electroninc copy of the application. It should be destroyed automatically anyway after 30 days, If, however, you do see any errors in your printed copy, then just amend them manually. This is totally acceptable. If you are worried, then also add a letter saying what you have done, and why.

The online copy is not actually looked at by anyone. It is just an electroninc copy of the application. It should be destroyed automatically anyway after 30 days,

I thought that IO's at the UK Border now had access to an electronic copy of the application, and assumed it was the online application submitted by the applicant, is that not the case then?

In fact can the IO access any information regarding the application, maybe the case file?

The online copy is not actually looked at by anyone. It is just an electroninc copy of the application. It should be destroyed automatically anyway after 30 days,

I thought that IO's at the UK Border now had access to an electronic copy of the application, and assumed it was the online application submitted by the applicant, is that not the case then?

In fact can the IO access any information regarding the application, maybe the case file?

The IQ has access to the VAF for sure in a recent case they pulled off a copy of the application we submitted I presume it was the VAF.

Wow, what a coincedence.

My wife and I also live in Khon Kaen and were in the UK last in 2005 and 2002.

What on earth is the VFS?

When did it change?

We'd better start finding out - I expected to the same as last time which was pretty easy.

How long does getting a visa take?

Is it as easy as 7 years ago?

Whoops....my mistake. The online VAF is deleted if it is not accesssed by the applicant for one month, prior to submission. The ECO, however, works from the printed and submitted hard copy application. E&OE !

Wow, what a coincedence.

My wife and I also live in Khon Kaen and were in the UK last in 2005 and 2002.

What on earth is the VFS?

When did it change?

We'd better start finding out - I expected to the same as last time which was pretty easy.

How long does getting a visa take?

Is it as easy as 7 years ago?

See Applying for a UK visa in Thailand and UK visit visa basics.

May I ask that you confine any further questions you have about your wife's visa to the specific topic you started about it. That will avoid confusion and duplication. Thank you.

OK, thank you all for all the help so far.

I completed the form, submitted it, printed it off twice and then made a booking with VFS for Friday next week.

Two more questions, if I may: The required visa fee is printed on the form. We will want the passport and any paperwork they don't want returned to us by courier/post rather than us going to Bangkok again. Is the cost of this paid directly to VFS or added to the bank draft payable to the British Embassy, and how do we know how much to pay for this service?

Secondly, in the folder prepared for the ECO I have only printed 9 photographs showing my wife with my family both here and in the UK. Is that enough, too many or about right? I have hundreds available spread over the years but don't want to bore him to death.

Thanks again for your help.

OK, thank you all for all the help so far.

I completed the form, submitted it, printed it off twice and then made a booking with VFS for Friday next week.

Two more questions, if I may: The required visa fee is printed on the form. We will want the passport and any paperwork they don't want returned to us by courier/post rather than us going to Bangkok again. Is the cost of this paid directly to VFS or added to the bank draft payable to the British Embassy, and how do we know how much to pay for this service?

Secondly, in the folder prepared for the ECO I have only printed 9 photographs showing my wife with my family both here and in the UK. Is that enough, too many or about right? I have hundreds available spread over the years but don't want to bore him to death.

Thanks again for your help.

My wife got her family visit visa without showing any photos. From what I understand, with the help of this and other forums, the main concern is reason to return. You have been married for over 11 years, no need for any photos. Good luck.