Computer Problem

lekatai

I have been having a problem with my desktop for a few days now.Some sites(but not all) will either not load at all,take ages to load,or load with errors.The most important is hotmail,which will load,after a delay of a couple of minutes,but the pages are displayed in a different format,with some buttons superimposed on others,and if I try to open the inbox,either it won't open,or takes ages if I go to it via my profile page.Some other sites, such as Thorntree(lonely planet) simply won't open at all or load in just a typeface format with no pictures.Whereas other sites,like Thai Visa or Tripadvisor open perfectly,and as quickly as normal. Other sites such as my UK online bank operate completely normally,as do all the Pattaya,Thai or Khmer forums that I post on.I haven't changed anything on my computer,to which no one else has access,I've run Spybot and AVG,with no results,defragmented the hard drive,run CCleaner and Window washer,and it doesn't make any difference I even plugged another computer in to the line,and it's exactly the same on that computer as well.Anyone got any ideas?? Cheers

Humm... Darell's explanation is by far the most likely one, but I've also seen anti-virus programs that scan web traffic on-the-fly run amok, randomly blocking stuff. I know Avast can do this, why not AVG?

I'd give it a try on a safe site with your a/v completely disabled, or at least the web-scanning part.

Do you have more then one provider in the area where you live in Vietnam lekatai ?

Edit: //

Do you use the immunize function in Spybot ? As this also changes the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file which can be used to block certain Websites.

Edited by MJCM

I'd give it a try on a safe site with your a/v completely disabled, or at least the web-scanning part.

He said the same thing happens on another PC, so that probably rules out AV and other software problems, unless the other PC uses the same software.

OK thanks for the replies.Re #2 I tried reseting the modem/router-no change I then tried disabling AVG-again no change.Re #4-I think there is only one,but I'll check and see if there is an alternative provider.Re #6-both desktops that I tried have AVG on them.Re #7 using IE or Firefox-the result is the same-just tried Google Chrome-exactly the same result.Re the immunize function in Spybot-yes I did use it,but I just undid it and tried again to open Hotmail-still the same problem.