Visa

Guys,i have had some great advise but im a little confused at the moment as i have had conflicting opinions on what to tell the embasy for a tourist visa for my thai g/f...i have been told to tell them that we plan to marry and are using the tourist visa to see how she adapts to australian culture,food,weather,ect.

i have also been told this could back fire in resulting them to refuse the visa..

what are some of youropinions about this.,all i can do is way up the opinions here and hopefuly get through.

the e/mails we sennd to each other also indicate that wew are in a romantic realtinship..would this be exeptable in applying for the tourist visa..

many thanks..

I tried my g/f for a student visa (not telling them it was also to see how our relatioship went in Aus) but because I was sponsoring her I needed to tell them about our relationship. This was enough for them to say study was not her primary reason for coming (apparently enough reason to say no?!?!)

I don't know what advice to give only that they might be worried about her not coming back. If you can prove that she has bloody good reason to come back then you might get it. (i.e great job, family commitments, uni etc)

A tourist visa if for touring, nothing more, nothing less.

If you complicate your application with any other reason for visiting Australia, you will probably be refused.

If she is to study, you need a students visa.

If you want to think about marriage, you need a fiance visa.

All the other requirements can be found by the bucket load in previous threads in this forum. Use the "search" option.

I would think a fiance visa.

But with that you only get one shot!!!

From what I can gather anyway.

If you complicate your application with any other reason for visiting Australia, you will probably be refused.

All the other requirements can be found by the bucket load in previous threads in this forum. Use the "search" option.

Guys,i have had some great advise but im a little confused at the moment as i have had conflicting opinions on what  to tell the embasy for a tourist visa for my thai g/f...i have been told to tell them that we plan to marry and are using the tourist visa to see how she adapts to australian culture,food,weather,ect.

i have also been told this could back fire in resulting them to refuse the visa..

what are some of youropinions about this.,all i can do is way up the opinions here and hopefuly get through.

the e/mails we sennd to each other also indicate that wew are in a romantic realtinship..would this be exeptable in applying for the tourist visa..

many thanks..

If you tell them you plan to marry they will refuse the tourist visa.

Being in a romantic relationship will not affect your Tourist visa application if you also do a Stat Dec stating that you are bringing her for a holiday only and you will ensure she abides by the visa conditions. If you are sponsoring her then you will need to include that you are covering all her costs while she is in Oz in the stat dec along with evidence of your income in the application.

I am guessing that this the first application and that you are also using the trip to see how you live together, Do the tourist visa first maybe a couple of trips to establish an ongoing relationship and then if you want to marry, you can then apply for a fiance visa which requires you to marry within 9 months of her arrival. Once married she can then apply for temporary resident Visa then a permanant Resident visa after that.

For the tourist visa, make sure you have plenty of supporting documents, Photos, letters, e mails, receipts for any money sent to her, your income if you sponsor her, the stat dec, anything else you think maybe relevent. If she is declaring employment she will need letters from her Boss saying that she can take the time off and still have a job to go to on her return.

Http://www.immi.gov.au

go to this site for any other info

Edited by gburns57au

Guys,i have had some great advise but im a little confused at the moment as i have had conflicting opinions on what  to tell the embasy for a tourist visa for my thai g/f...i have been told to tell them that we plan to marry and are using the tourist visa to see how she adapts to australian culture,food,weather,ect.

many thanks..

If you tell them you plan to marry they will refuse the tourist visa.

Being in a romantic relationship will not affect your Tourist visa application if you also do a Stat Dec stating that you are bringing her for a holiday only and you will ensure she abides by the visa conditions. If you are sponsoring her then you will need to include that you are covering all her costs while she is in Oz in the stat dec along with evidence of your income in the application.

I am guessing that this the first application and that you are also using the trip to see how you live together, Do the tourist visa first maybe a couple of trips to establish an ongoing relationship and then if you want to marry, you can then apply for a fiance visa which requires you to marry within 9 months of her arrival. Once married she can then apply for temporary resident Visa then a permanant Resident visa after that.

For the tourist visa, make sure you have plenty of supporting documents, Photos, letters, e mails, receipts for any money sent to her, your income if you sponsor her, the stat dec, anything else you think maybe relevent. If she is declaring employment she will need letters from her Boss saying that she can take the time off and still have a job to go to on her return.

Http://www.immi.gov.au

go to this site for any other info

so do you think it is allright to be in a relationship as a couple to apply for tourist visa without letting them no your intentions for the future ie marry..

hutch,

"im a little confused at the moment as i have had conflicting opinions on what to tell the embasy for a tourist visa for my thai g/f"

Why not try something that is apparently foreign to you: "the truth". The fact that you refer to the woman in your life as your "thai g/f", rather than "g/f" let's us know exactly what the relationship really is.

The fact that you refer to the woman in your life as your "thai g/f", rather than "g/f" let's us know exactly what the relationship really is.

Expatinasia, a bit harsh i think. The OP only mentioned it in his opening post, to set the scene. If he hadn't, someone else would have asked what her nationality is.

Hi,

This is what I'm confused about also. My u.s. son's g/f in Thailand was denied her tourist visa on grounds they didn't believe she planned to return. [ironically, that wasn't true.] anyhow, now she's asking folks in Thailand who are telling her that she'll obtain the tourist visa if she presents detailed info on her american boyfriend...i.e. passport, photo of his house, paystubs, pink slip on his car, bank accounts, etc. I don't get it!!!! If they know of her romantic interest in U.S., isn't it more likely they'll deny her tourist visa on grounds she wont return? Is there danger of identity theft? Will others get all this info on my son? Now, she's even told him she wants him to be present at the interview. is that allowed and will it help? Thanks.

lindylou [a concerned mom] :o

lindylou,

If your son is sponsoring the girl, don't you think that the embassy would need some details of him?

Can he financially support her, will he provide accommodation for her, is he of good character, are his intentions genuine etc. etc. ?????

No embassies want foreigners to enter their country on a tourist visa, obtain work thus denying a national resident a job, do a runner thus forcing the authorities to go looking for them.

The applicant therefore needs too assure the embassy that they will leave before their tourist visa expires. The applicant needs to address this aspect convincingly, providing proof if necessary.

The best way of providing this information to the embassy and supporting the information that they have submitted in their application, is for all parties involved to attend the embassy for interview.

If you want to assist your son and his g/f, you should also provide a statutory declaration supporting their application.

hutch,

"im a little confused at the moment as i have had conflicting opinions on what to tell the embasy for a tourist visa for my thai g/f"

Why not try something that is apparently foreign to you: "the truth".  The fact that you refer to the woman in your life as your "thai g/f", rather than "g/f" let's us know exactly what the relationship really is.

telling the truth is in no way foreign to me buddy,and my relationship is with my

"THAI G/F" is very serious and genuine.

if i have to bend the truth a little to have a life with this wonderful girl would you really consider me as a dishonest person..i dont think so,and for me refering to her as my THAI g/f...so whats wrong with that..

if i have to bend the truth a little to have a life with this wonderful girl would you really consider me as a dishonest person.

Bending the truth a little is one thing, getting caught out by the embassy interviewer is another thing.

Keep in mind, these interviewers interrogate applicants every day and are more than capable of identifying those who are telling them a heap of BS.

You are better off telling the truth and backing it up with documented evidence. That way neither of you needs to remember the lies.

I know of applicants who were granted visas after stating that they worked in beer bars.

I also know of applicants who concocted their employment details being refused a visa.

I advise you to put time and effort into your application. The better it is, the better your chances of having it granted.

Hi,

This is what I'm confused about also. My u.s. son's g/f in Thailand was denied her tourist visa on grounds they didn't believe she planned to return. [ironically, that wasn't true.] anyhow, now she's asking folks in Thailand who are telling her that she'll obtain the tourist visa if she presents detailed info on her american boyfriend...i.e. passport, photo of his house, paystubs, pink slip on his car, bank accounts, etc. I don't get it!!!!  If they know of her romantic interest in U.S., isn't it more likely they'll deny her tourist visa on grounds she wont return? Is there danger of identity theft? Will others get all this info on my son? Now, she's even told him she wants him to be present at the interview. is that allowed and will it help? Thanks.

Lindylou....Is he looking for a visa into the US or Oz??

Hi,

This is what I'm confused about also. My u.s. son's g/f in Thailand was denied her tourist visa on grounds they didn't believe she planned to return. [ironically, that wasn't true.] anyhow, now she's asking folks in Thailand who are telling her that she'll obtain the tourist visa if she presents detailed info on her american boyfriend...i.e. passport, photo of his house, paystubs, pink slip on his car, bank accounts, etc. I don't get it!!!!  If they know of her romantic interest in U.S., isn't it more likely they'll deny her tourist visa on grounds she wont return? Is there danger of identity theft? Will others get all this info on my son? Now, she's even told him she wants him to be present at the interview. is that allowed and will it help? Thanks.

lindylou,

If your son is sponsoring the girl, don't you think that the embassy would need some details of him?

Can he financially support her, will he provide accommodation for her, is he of good character, are his intentions genuine etc. etc. ?????

No embassies want foreigners to enter their country on a tourist visa, obtain work thus denying a national resident a job, do a runner thus forcing the authorities to go looking for them.

The applicant therefore needs too assure the embassy that they will leave before their tourist visa expires.  The applicant needs to address this aspect convincingly, providing proof if necessary.

The best way of providing this information to the embassy and supporting the information that they have submitted in their application, is for all parties involved to attend the embassy for interview.

If you want to assist your son and his g/f, you should also provide a statutory declaration supporting their application.

Thanks for the info. We were confused because an immigration attorney in the U>S. told us it was "problematic" if the interviewer knew that she had a romantic interest here. [My son had already completed the declaration of support.] The attorney said that if she were denied a tourist visa it would be more difficult to get a fiancee visa later.

They were not aware of the supporting documentation that would have helped, and were devastated when denied. She decided to ask around [in Thailand] and came up with the info you've been mentioning here, including having my son at the interview. As for proof of her intent to return when the visa expires, would a return air ticket be enough? Her family wants a religious ceremony when she returns...would mentioning that help? What have others done? She doesn't have a job in Thailand. They met in Europe where she had been working in a Thai restaurant for several years and he was on vacation. He later returned to Europe to visit her and after that they decided to have her come to U.S. to try living together. Thanks for your help!

Hi,

Sorry,I dont think i made my self clear about asking if i would tell them we planned to marry with a tourist visa..what i meant was telling them we plan to marry in the future,not when she is on the tourist visa but in the future,no lies at all but my question is do you think i should let this be known or leave it out?

i have heard of some guys that have let the embassy know and had sucsess

because they were using the tourist visa to holiday but run it as a test run to see how well she may adapt to australia...

you'll have to forgive me......i'm having trouble navigating this site. how do i find the US visa threads?

You can enter a keyword in the search topics feature which is at the bottom of the page you read the posts on....OR you can use the New Topic feature and start a new Topic to try and get specific answers

Edited by gburns57au

Sorry,I dont think i made my self clear about asking if i would tell them we planned to marry with a tourist visa..what i meant was telling them we plan to marry in the future,not when she is on the tourist visa but in the future,no lies at all but my question is do you think i should let this be known or leave it out?

i have heard of some guys that have let the embassy know and had sucsess

because they were using the tourist visa to holiday but run it as a test run to see how well she may adapt to australia...

You dont need to tell them of your future plans for a tourist visa, it is not a part of the application. Just fill in the forms honestly, answer the questions they ask you and go from there. Just tell them you are taking her for a holiday, thats all you need to say.

Edited by gburns57au

• 3 weeks later...

many thanks..

Tell them the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. What does your girl do for a job? How did you meet? How long has the relationship been going? Met her family? Stayed in her house? All of that. You and her should each write a statement - make sure you have hers translated into english. My gf was here for 3 months for exactly that reason. And we told the embassy that. Still, we needed a lot of supporting evidence. A lot.

Good luck

Virg'