Disturbing Trend In Sukhumvit Area, Bkk

ashacat

Hi,

Just wanted to share something that I have noticed over the past few weeks....

I have lived on Sukhumvit Road for around 5-6 years and have never really seen police stop checking people in the streets (especially at day time), however over the last month or so I have seen this virtually every day. The targets have been foreigners of all ages/demographics at all times of the day. They seem to be checking I.D. and then checking all pockets, wallets, socks etc....

The exact area that I have seen this happen personally is inbetween Thonglor and PromPong BTS. Having spoken with friends in the area I have learnt that others too have noticed this trend and indeed a couple of friends have been searched.

One girl I know was stopped late at night on the way home (she was in a taxi), she did not have I.D. on her nor any considerable amount of money. The police kept her around for a while whilst they discussed what they should do with her, when they realised that they were not going to get any money out of her, they made her give them the shoes on her feet(!) and let her go. Bizarre....

Anyway, just a heads up.

Cheers.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing new here - check out bangkok page - been going on since moby dick was a minnow.

Hi James, thanks for the reply. I would like to reiterate that I have certainly noticed a huge increase in this happening. Indeed over the past 5-6 years I have seen this occur on a handful of occasions in my locality, as per my O.P. in the past few weeks I have seen it virtually every day, so respectfully, I think that it is 'something new'.

Nothing new here - check out bangkok page - been going on since moby dick was a minnow.

Indeed James,I only had to read the name, Thong Lor to know the rest wasnt worth reading.

The shoes is a new development - glad I don't wear high heals anymore.

I would be scared if they started going through my pockets.. Are there any stories of them planting stuff ?

Indeed James,I only had to read the name, Thong Lor to know the rest wasnt worth reading.

Is there anything special going on in that area comparing to other areas of BKK? Just wondering...

Not that I know of, for both questions.....

Forgot to mention; another friend (male) was recently stopped and searched right down to his boxer shorts(!) behind a bus shelter on Sukhumvit Road.

Is there anything special going on in that area comparing to other areas of BKK? Just wondering...

I dont know about special, but this area is infamous and has been for as long as most can remember.

I have never heard of these events taking place elsewhere, Ekamai bus station used to be a favourite area as well, I believe it falls under the jurisdiction of Thong Lor.

I am now off to Tesco/Lotus to buy a pair of 30 baht flip flops so I can mix in with the rest of the hansum men who frequent this area, not unless James can borrow me his high heels.

The OP's family and friends seem quite different from mine.

I would be scared if they started going through my pockets.. Are there any stories of them planting stuff ?

Forgot to mention; another friend (male) was recently stopped and searched right down to his boxer shorts(!) behind a bus shelter on Sukhumvit Road.

By the Boys in Brown or the Boys in Heels and Short Skirts?

SC

I dont wear any underwear, does that mean if they ask me to take off my trousers (pants to yanks) i then commit another offence of being indecent..............the wife says its indecent, but thats another story!!!

I thought you had to carry ID at ALL times when in Thailand? and she had none.

Ah, that explains why they took her shoes. Thanks travelmann.

Glad it makes sense to you????????? or is this a case of "Cinderella" and only the shoes would fit her so she'd be easy to check at the airport on the way out?

Ten years -or so- ago that was a dream came through by being able to live on suk 24, just next next door of Khun Chuwit -not yet open Davis Residence-...

Nowadays, I rather be flooded two months per year in Nonthaburi jap.gif

• Like 1

To the OP, so just to make it clear, did all the stories you hear happened in inbetween Thonglor and PromPong BTS?

Not that I often walk throught there, normally pass through by BTS train or taxi, but once in a while I go for looong walks.

Will be avoiding that area at all now.

To the OP, so just to make it clear, did all the stories you hear happened in inbetween Thonglor and PromPong BTS?

Not that I often walk throught there, normally pass through by BTS train or taxi, but once in a while I go for looong walks.

The girl who had her shoes nicked was on Rama 4 near Sukhumvit Soi 26. All the others were in the area I described.

Do u have to have a mask on when u walk around Bangkok ????

Cops have been shaking down tourists along Sukhumvit rd for decades. Never walk anywhere touristy late in the month when cops are running low on money.They always pick easy targets. Flicking a butt in the gutter,kicking a soi dog,litering where there are no bins etc etc. easy money alot of farangs pay 2000 b just to be left alone.

Empty your pockets yourself. Pull out the front ones and let them just feel the back ones. I don't allow anyone to put his or her hands into my pockets, or backpack.

Out of ALL these people you know how many have complained or gone to the Tourist Police? How about the gal with the shoes, did she complain? this is why I always have my iPhone ready to video and tale pictures of the BIB.

• Like 1

The girl who had her shoes nicked was on Rama 4 near Sukhumvit Soi 26. All the others were in the area I described.

Is Rama 4 in the Thong Lor police district?