Swiss Man Arrested In Pattaya Gun Incident Could Face Attempted Murder Charge

Rimmer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One question how did the Swiss man bring the gun into Thailand, guess it was in his luggage. New Years eve noise was very intense at my apartment and kept going till 5am, I could not sleep thou knew it is only one time we celebrate so I put up with it.

What is more disturbing is the Yaba dealer that race around everyhour of the night in his Two Stroke, no muffler waking up the apartment tenants are there any laws in effect that limit the noise of a Two Stroke bike? Question 2, Does ThaiVisa have any forum linking "information T.I.P.S" for exposure of drug deals?

I think it is more likely that this moron acquired the gun on the black market in Thailand. There are more illegal than legal guns held by civilians in Thailand and they are a lot cheaper. Also people like this and millions of Thais would never qualify for a gun permit.

I hope he enjoys his time in a Thai prison before he gets permanently exported back to Switzerland.

Edited by Arkady

During the arrest, it is claimed by Police that Mr. Exner attempted to escape when handcuffs were repositioned and was kicked and punched by a Police Volunteer in the back of a Police vehicle as full-time officers looked-on.

Brilliant!laugh.png

+1 clap2.gif

contributors to this topic should not be so hard on this guy

he has merely tried to integrate himself into Thai society and follow their priciples and actions

its often said that farangs should try to be less farang and become more thai in an effort to fit in

so he did exactly that and shot up the neighbours house with a gun over a very small problem

typically thai behaviour

if a thai did the same thing to a farang it would hardly get a mention on these hallowed pages (if the farang had even reported it for fear of the shooter coming back to finish the job) ...........

• Like 2

One question how did the Swiss man bring the gun into Thailand, guess it was in his luggage. New Years eve noise was very intense at my apartment and kept going till 5am, I could not sleep thou knew it is only one time we celebrate so I put up with it.

What is more disturbing is the Yaba dealer that race around everyhour of the night in his Two Stroke, no muffler waking up the apartment tenants are there any laws in effect that limit the noise of a Two Stroke bike? Question 2, Does ThaiVisa have any forum linking "information T.I.P.S" for exposure of drug deals?

Weapon was likely bought here in Thailand, or was the property of his spouse/girlfriend.

Khun Tawatchai aged 29 who explained to Police he was enjoying the last day of the New Year with his family when Mr. Iwan Exner aged 50 from Switzerland, who lives next door, shouted at him to turn down the volume of the music.

I have a degree of sympathy for the Swiss chap, I'd put goods odds on it wasn't the first time he asked them to turn it down a bit.

On New Year's Eve?

But then, even if they played loud music often, this is no excuse whatsoever to fire on them. Based on the limited info we have, I don't feel sympathy for him.

Important words "based on the limited info we have"

Walk a mile in another man's shoes ..... not only will you be a mile away, but you'll also have his shoes.

Put lipstick on a pig, you have a pig wearing lipstick!

Why do the Swiss have so many guns and armed service/ex service personnel? They were a neutral country in WW II.

Switzerland has a very long and proud history of grass-roots local government, including in territorial self-defence. The reason why it has been able to keep neutral for 500 years is that it has always had a well-armed and well-trained militia in the midst of its civilian population.

Yes the occasional crackpot goes nuts, but just like in Israel, with similar policies, the overall incidence of violent crime is kept relatively low.

America's problems with violence comes not from its gun ownership laws, but from its huge problems of race and poverty and other the characteristics of its population, not least the genetics of those who settled the place.

America's problems with violence comes not from its gun ownership laws, but from its huge problems of race and poverty and other the characteristics of its population, not least the genetics of those who settled the place.

Careful. Sounds a bit racist to me. Genetics? Please.

Switzerland has a very long and proud history of grass-roots local government, including in territorial self-defence. The reason why it has been able to keep neutral for 500 years is that it has always had a well-armed and well-trained militia in the midst of its civilian population.

That proud history almost ended in WWII, but for the declaration by Hitler while sending his forces on their way to conquer the Eastern bloc - Die Schweiz, das kleine Stachelschwein, nehmen wir auf dem Rückweg ein. [We'll take Switzerland, that small porcupine, on our way back home!] rolleyes.gif

What a strange bunch TV posters can be sometimes. Let me get this right. The Thai neighbour played loud music. The Swiss resident got a gun and fired it in the direction of the Thai neighbours wife and child and hit his pick up as well. Not even shots in the air or something that might be mitigated by a level of rage. All this and posters indicate Cheap estate = Thai neighbours with no respect. Joking right?

I am not sure either what's going on here. That Swiss guy is obviously a dangerous nut case, let's hope they kick him out of the country. There's absolutely no excuse for firing their gun where they could hit people. Not even loud music.

FYI All handguns are made with the purpose that they should be fired at people. Except special guns meant to be used for target competitions.

Khun Tawatchai aged 29 who explained to Police he was enjoying the last day of the New Year with his family when Mr. Iwan Exner aged 50 from Switzerland, who lives next door, shouted at him to turn down the volume of the music.

I have a degree of sympathy for the Swiss chap, I'd put goods odds on it wasn't the first time he asked them to turn it down a bit.

On New Year's Eve?

But then, even if they played loud music often, this is no excuse whatsoever to fire on them. Based on the limited info we have, I don't feel sympathy for him.

Walk a mile in another man's shoes ..... not only will you be a mile away, but you'll also have his shoes.

I think they are both to blame. Have a little courtesy and not blast your music so high that people go crazy. But the guy should have taken a walk and got the hell out of there if he was reaching a breaking point. Thais ( and Farang) can sometimes be very rude.

I have learned that many Thai´s love to make noise all the time, and don´t care about if their neighbours like it or not. I can easily imagine, that the loud music in this house was performed with open windows and doors.

I bet the music was coming from the car and thus he shot the car two times. I think a rock would have been a better option and he would have got his point across. Respect your neighbors or ..........

On New Year's Eve?

Was new years eve on Tuesday this year?

On New Year's Eve?

Was new years eve on Tuesday this year?

I don't know what "last day of the New Year" means. I did read "last day of the year", I admit.

On New Year's Eve?

I think they are both to blame. Have a little courtesy and not blast your music so high that people go crazy. But the guy should have taken a walk and got the hell out of there if he was reaching a breaking point. Thais ( and Farang) can sometimes be very rude.

Blame both? Regardless of farang or Thai, I blame the guy with the gun. I don't know any excuse for shooting at people.I think this goes way beyond "rude".

I have learned that many Thai´s love to make noise all the time, and don´t care about if their neighbours like it or not. I can easily imagine, that the loud music in this house was performed with open windows and doors.

Possibly. Welcome to Thailand.

You want to have everything to be the same as in Switzerland? Here is your solution: Move to Switzerland! rolleyes.gif

Edited by tombkk

he has merely tried to integrate himself into Thai society and follow their priciples and actions

its often said that farangs should try to be less farang and become more thai in an effort to fit in

so he did exactly that and shot up the neighbours house with a gun over a very small problem

typically thai behaviour

if a thai did the same thing to a farang it would hardly get a mention on these hallowed pages (if the farang had even reported it for fear of the shooter coming back to finish the job) ...........

+1

Why do the Swiss have so many guns and armed service/ex service personnel? They were a neutral country in WW II.

I think they border 6 or 7 countries, some of them ex USSR, so the plan is the ex service personnel can grab their gun and join the fight if invaded.

You think really wrong. Switzerland has only 5 neighbours, France, Italy, Germany, Austria and Liechtenstein. None of these country is ex USSR. Your knowledge in geography needs an update.

I hate to say it but you either live a rich and secluded life in Thailand/Asia with a good layer of staff/servants/friends/aquaintances(in all the high places) to protect you from the daily BS or you put up with it.

Unlike the OP, I have no sympathy at all for his actions. Attempted murder cannot be justified.

EVERY Swiss male must have a gun in the house , by law. Gun ownership is 100% in Switzerland, hence the high number of gun attacks, remember the guy who attacked the parliament building and massacred 14.

The post about difficulty obtaining a Swiss gun licence is completely wrong, that is only for foreigners

Wrong. Not every Swiss male must have a gun in the house, by law.

• Like 1

Police were called and found Mr. Exner drinking with friends at a nearby convenience store inside the Village.

He should have skipped the shooting and gone straight to the convenience store for his drinking.

Yes, at last a post in this thread I agree 1005 with clap2.gif .

I have limited experience of Switzerland but have visited there a few times. It does seem an odd place though w.r.t. guns. A family friend was living there and had a couple of overdue library books. She was visited by 2 policemen, (heavily) armed with sub-machine guns, very OTT IMHO.

The UK has its faults, and the relationship between gun ownership and violent crime is complex, however since the Dunblane shootings we've had a policy of getting guns out of circulation and by and large its worked. Its not a show-stopper for me but I do get uneasy living in any country where guns are prevalent.

I hate to say it but you either live a rich and secluded life in Thailand/Asia with a good layer of staff/servants/friends/aquaintances(in all the high places) to protect you from the daily BS or you put up with it.

Unlike the OP, I have no sympathy at all for his actions. Attempted murder cannot be justified.

Maybe you can explain where the original poster has sympathy for his actions, The original poster being myself reporting a news story.

Take care mrdome it is not a good idea to make unfounded accusations against moderators

I recently learned that Swiss people (in Switzerland) have similar gun ownership levels as Americans. Be afraid!
you've been given incorrect information JT. a license for a hand gun in Switzerland is not easy to obtain. fact however is that every swiss male who served in the armed forces and is of an age that he can be called for duty has his rifle and ammunition in his home.
OK, it's less, but had to look this up and according to Wiki, Swiss are 4th in the world, that's pretty high!

http://en.wikipedia....y_gun_ownership

wiki writes rubbish. the lion share of guns in Swiss homes belong to the armed forces, not to the individuals who keep them.

wiki note:

This article's factual accuracy is disputed. Please help to ensure that disputed facts are reliably sourced. See the relevant discussion on the talk page. (October 2011)
Edited by Naam

typically thai behaviour

first sensible post on this topic coffee1.gif