Tourist Visa - How Long?

A good friend of mine is planning to take an extended time out form working in the UK after the death of his mother recently. He wants to live in Thailand for a while.

What are the rules for the Thai tourist visa? How long can he stay in Thailand with a turist visa? How many times can he extend it?

Thanks in advance,

Aridion.

A Tourist Visa gives a stay of 60 days and can be extended at Immigration by another 30 days.

It is possible to get a double entry at most Thai Consulates outside of Asia.

Some will also issue a Triple Entry.

If your friend is in UK he should contact the Consulate in Hull who do issue triple entries.

This would give a stay of almost 9 months with 2 border runs and 3 extensions.

• Like 1

hi,

you can stay in thailand for upto 9 months max using a triple entry tourist visa if used correctly.

the visas come in single double or triple entries (each entry 60 days and have option to add 30 days to each at an extra cost in thailand).

single entry 60 days + optional 30 days extra .

double 60 + 30 , 60 + 30

triple 60 + 30 , 60 + 30 , 60 + 30

these are the basic workings ,

when you come to thailand they put stamps and dates in your passport telling you when you have to leave,

you can't just stay 180 days continuous with a double entry or 270 continuous with a triple you have to leave thailand stamp out and stamp back in again to activate the next batch of 60 + 30 days (optional)

are you going to book a return flight from the u.k ?

a one way ticket and a triple entry visa gives you many options, that's what i would do.

you can apply through the post at thai embassy in hull or maybe birmingham.

http://thailand-uk.com/visas/thaiemb.php

here's some requirements :

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/45

call hull and they should send you an e-mail with application form and some info. etc.

if you apply for the visa too soon before your trip that may reduce your maximum allowed stay so you need to think what the plan is.

any questions please ask,

chris

also forgot ,

double check with them that they are issuing 6 month validity as standard with double and triple entries, that will help with staying longer and gives extra options.

if you want to stay longer than 9 months then you can also get another visa here in asia at a later date.

:)

also forgot ,

double check with them that they are issuing 6 month validity as standard with double and triple entries, that will help with staying longer and gives extra options.

if you want to stay longer than 9 months then you can also get another visa here in asia at a later date.

smile.png

So basically with a triple entry, my friend could get on arrival a 60 day stay + a further 30 day when he applies for it in Thailand? Then leave at end of this 90 days and get another 60 days? then get the extra 30 day? and do it again? Making it 270 days total stay.

That sounds quite good.

The only way that you will get the maximum number of days out of the visa is if you use it properly. You must enter Thailand immediately after the visa is issued and You must use exit and re-enter Thailand the day before the VISA expies (third entry). Any time that you delay in entering Thailand after the day the visa is issued is lost.

So basically with a triple entry, my friend could get on arrival a 60 day stay + a further 30 day when he applies for it in Thailand? Then leave at end of this 90 days and get another 60 days? then get the extra 30 day? and do it again? Making it 270 days total stay.

That sounds quite good.

Almost, but not quite. The visa will be valid for three entries into Thailand within 6 months or 180 days (don't know which period Hull is using) from the date of the visa's issue date. Therefore, after the second entry plus extension, he must not wait until the expiration of the 30-day extension but instead he must do the third entry with the visa not later than one day before the "must be utilized by..." date stamped on the visa if this date is earlier than the extension expiration date.

hi,

the extra 30 days are optional and cost approx. 40 pounds each time, you have to goto an immigration office in thailand to do this and there are many all over thailand. they don't have to be done on the last day either .

as mentioned staying for close to 270 days isn't easy unless you can apply for the visa in person a day or two before your flight,

i applied through the post at hull i posted my passport to them monday morning first class and i had it back on the thursday or friday.

you can realistically apply through the post and stay in thailand around 260 days.

hull will recommend you apply 2 weeks before your flight in case of postal delays and weekends etc

with a triple visa you'll have many options available but to use all 3 entries you have to leave thailand twice for what's called a border run, these can take one day or you can spend many days/weeks in a neighboring country if you prefer.

probably you'll end up with a trip looking like this to stay in thailand the longest.

apply for visa,

fly to thailand 10 days later,

60 + 30,

do a border run,

60 + 20,

do a border run,

60 + 30

maybe add further 7 days if needed and allowed.

these are the maximum days you can stay for less and it's upto you when you choose to do the border runs, just make sure you do the final border run a day before the visa expires (enter before date written on the visa) to make sure you get the final entry,

you get fined 10 pounds a day if you stay in thailand not covered on a visa.